[Tech] Pick Scoring

• Thread starter Ancestor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Keeping a good grip on your pick can needlessly consume a lot of extra energy. In this lesson I propose to show you how to create a non-slip surface on the pick without the use of adhesives. This is particularly useful if your favorite pick is made of a smooth, slick plastic like mine. I use Dunlop Delrin 2.0 picks.

PicNoScore.JPG

They are great for their attack and minimizing friction between the pick and string, but they tend to slip around, especially when a little perspiration is introduced into the equation.

Before attempting this process, it should be noted that the possibility of serious injury exists. In other words, if you’re not careful, it’s possible to cut off your finger. But, as long as you pay attention to what you’re doing, all should go well. I’ve been doing this for over 5 years without so much as a scratch. I got the idea from my drummer, who had seen a Sepultura pick with this type of modification.

You will need a carpeted area and a small, lock blade knife.

LockBladeCarpet.JPG

Don’t use a Bowie knife, or any type of cutlery from the kitchen. Don’t bother with an Exacto/box knife. They are too hard to control, have a dangerous tendency to slip and don’t work as well anyway. Too dangerous. And if you use a folding knife that doesn’t lock, you will most certainly injure yourself eventually. So DON’T. You must use a small, decent quality lock blade.

KnifeGrip.JPG

It should be obvious that like driving and shooting firearms, you cannot be drunk or hung over while performing this modification. If it isn’t obvious, I’ll tell you again. Booze, knives and string instrumentalists don’t mix. Don’t believe me? Ask Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg.

Wash and dry hands thoroughly. No sweat, dirt, oil or other substances that make the hands slippery allowed.

Hold the knife in your dominant hand and the pick in the other hand. The point of the pick should be turned in towards your palm. Angle the pick upwards as shown.

StartGrip.JPG

Place the lower edge of the pick on the floor. Place the point of the knife BELOW the grip facilitated by the thumb in the lower hemisphere of the pick. No part of your fingers or hands should be between the blade and the floor.

FirstScorePosition.JPG

Push in towards the pick slightly with the knife to be sure the pick isn’t sliding in either direction, and then in a little more and down once you are sure of stability. You don’t have to use a lot of pressure. Easy does it. Also the movement of the knife should be very slight. Probably between one quarter and one eighth of an inch.

Rotate the pick in both directions to produce 5 scores on the top hemisphere of the face of the pick. Repeat on the opposite side of the pick.

SecondScorePosition.JPG

ThirdScorePicRotate.JPG

So far, so good. Now place the pick on the carpet alone, without holding it in place with the non-dominant hand. Place the point of the lock blade into the center of the pick and GENTLY push and twist, once you are sure of stability.

DimplePositionBest.JPG

Why gently? Because you don’t want to slip and cut your finger off. Really, this technique is absolutely not worth injuring yourself over. You MUST use the utmost care in performing it. Repeat the process on the other side. You should end up with a small, rough dimple on each side.

Your pick should look similar to this.

FullyScoredBack.JPG

FullyScoredFaceBest.JPG

This modification will improve your playing significantly, but not dramatically. You’ll no longer have to grasp the pick so hard, and it will more easily retain the desired orientation to the string. The advantage of scoring over adhesion is that the pick can be quickly palmed or rotated for adjustment, tapping or finger picking.

Special thanks to Jennifer Page for taking the photos that illustrate the article.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really don't have much of a problem holding onto my picks. Especially my new favourites, Ultex. I was a die-hard Delrin user for ages, but i'm really digging Ultex picks for feel and grip. It's like they have the smooth crisp tone of Delrin with the grip of Tortex, without that "gritty" pick scrape sound.

And i even really liked the *gasp* Ultex Jazz III. Though i think i'm going to stick with regular teardrop picks, as i think the Jazz III is still a bit too small for me. I have a problem with using small picks in that the back of my index fingernail tends to drag on the strings, and that nail is perpetually a problem for me (i smashed my finger a few years back, resulting in some weird damage to the nail bed, so it grows in weak and tears easily, which sucks, because i preferred to pick with my fingers and nails à la Jeff Beck... now i can't.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a sheet of skateboard grip tape from a local skate shop, and I cut off little squares from that and stick it to both sides of my pick, works like a charm. I tried scoring my picks before but I like the grip tape more now that I've been using it for a little while.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a sheet of skateboard grip tape from a local skate shop, and I cut off little squares from that and stick it to both sides of my pick, works like a charm. I tried scoring my picks before but I like the grip tape more now that I've been using it for a little while.

I do that, but I actually found both sides was too sticky and I couldnt adjust grip easily. I only do it to one side, but even then, I only do it to Jazz III's.
The rest of the time I use Ibanez Sandgrip Wizards (awesome) or Pickboy Reefer 1.14mm, and I never slip with either of those. :)

poisonelvis

windowlicker
Contributor
Reaction score
i'll have to try that,i have a piece of sandpaper,and i scuff both sides of the pick and it seems to work good(pick life for me 1 week).

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it me or do the black JazzIII's seem to have more grip? I love the black ones, but when ever I need picks, I usually need them right away and can only find the reds. And of course, I never order the black ones online in case I need them later :lol:

DoctorM

Reaction score
Cool brand Juratex Jazz picks. I have absolutely no need to score these picks - they have what feels like skateboard tape on them already.

I went on a friggin goosechase for them after the first time I played them. Try them out.

Napalm

Reaction score
Ultex Jazz III's are where its at the Jim Dunlop and Ultex lettering is raised for everyones pleasure....That paper clip idea seems like a damn good one also.

Vairocarnal

...is something.
Reaction score
I remember reading in an interview that Dimebag would scratch a series of xs into his pick until it resembled a monochromatic plaid pattern.
I, however, use Dunlop Gatorgrips (2 mm or 3 mm) . They have an awesome texture that's barely noticeable.

winterlover

Banned
Reaction score
i use the black dunlop nylons
they have enough bend for insane fast picking and enough attack...and a great gripping surface

elbiatcho1

Reaction score
Instead of using a sharp knife, a safer way that I score picks is to use a long sharp nail or screw and wrap a good amount of gaff around the nail for grip.