Tell us a musical rarity :)

Wolfie

Molto Accelerando!
Reaction score
So i figured this could be a usefull thread for people who wants to try out some crazy stuff that isnt much used or whatever..
So the deal is you tell us of one example of theory, technique or whatever and you explain what it is and how its used :cool:

Here's my contribution.

Its a pretty rare phenomenon called "Metric Modulations"

Ok bare with me cus this is a tough one..
Like a modulation in music normally means to go from one key to the other, metric modulations means to modulate within the timesignatures, beats and so on.
A crazy example of this could be that you have a 5 on 4 groove going, and after a couple of bars you decide that the second beat in the 5 will now become the first beat in a 7/8. :metal: :eek:
Virgil Donati anyone? :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Microtonality maybe, :scratch:

But it's hard to mention anything here, everyone seems to know there stuff.

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
So i figured this could be a usefull thread for people who wants to try out some crazy stuff that isnt much used or whatever..
So the deal is you tell us of one example of theory, technique or whatever and you explain what it is and how its used :cool:

Here's my contribution.

Its a pretty rare phenomenon called "Metric Modulations"

Ok bare with me cus this is a tough one..
Like a modulation in music normally means to go from one key to the other, metric modulations means to modulate within the timesignatures, beats and so on.
A crazy example of this could be that you have a 5 on 4 groove going, and after a couple of bars you decide that the second beat in the 5 will now become the first beat in a 7/8. :metal: :eek:
Virgil Donati anyone? :lol:

Rhymthic Modulations (as they're sometimes called) are cool, playing around alot with them at the moment...Gavin Harrison (Porcuopine Tree) does some very interesting stuff like that.

GuitarG2

Reaction score
Arpeggio substitution is pretty decent sounding, where you play a certain arpeggio that doesn't strictly correlate to the chord it's played over, as to imply chord extensions (phew! :lol:). Say you got a Cm thing going (for all you 7-stringed 1st fret whores :hbang:), you could play a G major arpeggio for a sweet sounding Cm9 sound or a D minor arpeggio for a kinda-weird-but-kinda-nice Cm13 sound etc. Guys like Gambale and saxophonists like Charlie Parker (I think) use this kind of thing.

Hope I explained it sort of well!

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Bucketheads amazing robot tapping.

Two handed tapping in succession with chromatics. Wild stuff. Plus you can mix up the chromatic intervals and really get whacky.

Erikishere

Reaction score
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards, usually this would end up being in a minor key if it started in major. it's a neat way of thinking of retrograde inversion.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards, usually this would end up being in a minor key if it started in major. it's a neat way of thinking of retrograde inversion.

Would he have not just written the Retrograde?

I'm guessing not cos he had very little time to do all his work. :lol: It's tough being a musical genius. Not to mention the fact that it's a canon would make it doubly hard to play.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards ...
I've got stuff like this somewhere. One piece is a duet where both performers play off the same sheet of music, so one is playing the retrograde inversion of the other. The other is similar, but it's not truly an inversion, because the accidentals that "follow" a note now apply to the note they are now before.

Ray

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tab of what
Buckethead's doing for the robot tapping?

he usually does either 3 finger or 4 finger tapping and it looks something like this:

with index,tap index - middle, tap, middle - ring, tap, ring, etc...

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------5p0t10p0--6p0t11p0--7p0t12p0-------------------------------
----5p0t10p0--6p0t11p0--7p0t12p0-------------------------------------------------

and you can do it with 4 fingers too. Turn your whammy on to really make it bananas. You can also mix up the pattern, which can really make some whacky stuff

that and he also goes backwards, so for finger tapping start with your respective pinkies:

Code:
------15p0t8p0--14p0t7p0--13p0t6p0--12p0t5p0-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------15p0t8p0--etc---------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest posts