TesseracT or Monuments?

• Thread starter maxturbator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxturbator

Reaction score
The question is simple: who do you prefer, and why?

I'm gonna say Monuments. I really dig both, but Monuments has far catchier riffs. I also can't say I hate the more traditional, "pop" song structure they have going on. TesseracT's new album is great though, and I love their new vocalist. For two bands who basically fall under the whole "djent" umbrella, they sound quite different, and each are awesome in their own way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Why choose?

I prefer both. Tesseract has written a masterpiece in Altered State and Monument's Gnosis (while peddling some crap album art) was pretty decent in its own right. Different moods if nothing else, something I love about metal. Pop is so one dimensional as the range of "expected emotions" is so limited, whereas even these two very similar bands showcase such good music at completely different ends of the spectrum.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I pick TesseracT. I realize Monuments is good but I almost never listen to them. I can't really explain why... that's just the way it happens. I guess I don't really care for Monuments vocals? But I also didn't care so much for TesseracT's vocals prior to Altered State. But also, Monuments does totally abuse the 'click' sound sometimes used in djent, which is really one of those techniques I see getting thrown around that I don't really think sounds that cool. Having said that, I do actually like both bands.

maxturbator

Reaction score
The choice is just for the sake of a thread, haha. But I completely agree. I really enjoy both, but for the different moods that each conveys. TesseracT when I'm trying to relax, and Monuments when I'm half asleep driving to work in the AM.

maxturbator

Reaction score
I should also add that Monuments has FAR more plays in my iTunes than TesseracT though. I feel like Altered State is best listened to in its entirety, while I can pick and choose which Monuments songs I want to hear...

Taylord

Reaction score
Acle and Browne are both some of my favorite guitar players. It's cool to see their different takes on a certain style of music. As a guitar player, I learn towards Monuments but as a songwriter, I'd say TesseracT. I hope that ments can get a little more established with this new lineup. I do kind of see TesseracT being around longer though.

maxturbator

Reaction score
I definitely see where you're coming from there. Monuments have some super technically satisfying riffs. TesseracT have the piece as a whole down.

TDR

Reaction score
Beaten.. but Fellsilent xD

Both have their merits, I'm one of the few that despises the production on Gnosis, but I will crank some songs from it every now and then because it's just groovy as .... and good for a little mosh in the car in a traffic jam, until my brain starts pounding. (oh and my pre-order came with a ....ing sweet hoody)

I find myself putting TesseracT on more to listen to the whole album, whilst doing something around the house, or just relaxing/in the pool or outside in general.

PS. Double Negative. For two bands that essentially spawned from the same project they have such distinctive sounds which I think is awesome _b I couldn't pick between either one for a favorite.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I really like both bands too, but I think I'd have to say Tesseract's my favorite of the two. I just connect more with their music for whatever reason. When I found Concealing Fate a couple years ago I thought it was amazing (and still do think that), and ever since I've been actively listening to their music.

superash

Reaction score
If anyone doubts Ments you should check their Maida Vale session on the BBC Radio One Rock Show that got aired last night. Chris sounds beastly. TesseracT just recorded one too so keep an eye for that if you're in the UK.

ps. I too choose Fellsilent

Dayn

Reaction score
I've only heard TesseracT.

But then I listened. Well, shit. I'm trying to save money, but now it looks like I have two more bands to give my money to.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I've never heard of Monuments but since they seem to have some similarities I think I shall look them up? Where to start? And for sake of the thread... I prefer TesseracT! Altered States and One are both masterpieces I think. I've listened to Altered States dozens of times. The album just gets me!

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Fellsilent suck hairy willy IMO.

I don't really prefer one over the other when it comes to Ments or Ract. I have more Monuments songs in my library, but I much preferred Tesseract live.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Tesseracts new album sounds the exact same as the cover art looks?
:hmmm: