Test on a new drum tone - Meshuggah content

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shammas

Reaction score
Very cool! My only critique is that the cymbals create an almost "clicky" background effect, which I'm not a fan of personally. But it definitely sounds very solid.

soundbydesign

Reaction score
Nothing fancy here, made a new preset for Superior Drummer 2 which I'll probably use after the release of my upcoming album. It sounds a lot thicker than my current drum-tone, especially in the bass department.

I hope you'll dig it, let me hear what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/chiatphil/meshuggah-straws-pulled-at-random-drumtest

Sounds decent man. Hard to judge without the context of a mix.

I would suggest high shelfing your overheads if you haven't already.

My notion is that, when applied to a mix with guitars and bass, your snare won't cut as well. If my ears serve me correctly, you have heavily favored the top snare mic and cut out most of the "bite" that comes from the bottom mic. In the context of a mix, this bite is very helpful for getting the snare through. Also, a little parallel compression on the snare could help your sustain a bit.

It all depends what your going for. Just my $.02

EDIT: I would also recommend some more EQ work on your overheads. The cymbals sound a tidge mid heavy, and could use a little more shimmer. Boost the highs and selectively reduce the mids.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. I'll still have to put it into a mix to fine-tune the EQ and such, so don't worry about that!

soundbydesign

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. I'll still have to put it into a mix to fine-tune the EQ and such, so don't worry about that!

Well you are off to a fine start. Ultimately your guitar tone is going going to really determine how you eq your cymbals, snare and kick drums. I find that the guitar frequencies, especially in 2kHz to 5kHz range, really determine how I end up EQ'ing the drums.