Thall 8 string

Brucesleek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guitar lords! If someone with some experience in tuning low could help me convert this setup in the picture attached below to a 28 inch scale 8 string? Im having trouble with my 7th string F being too loose. The low F string i have is gauged .64 buts its too loose. Thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FirstnameLastname

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:hbang: Vildhjarta fan spotted :hbang:

For me a .74 works wonderfully at 28" even for the low E. If you can put up with a little more stiffness when you tune up to G, go for it.
Since it's an 8 string, I assume you're going to add a high F. I think a .08 should work just fine for that. For the rest I'd recommend a D'Addario EXL116 set.

Needless to say, a good setup is crucial, so don't be afraid to spend as much time as you need on it.

Brucesleek

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:hbang: Vildhjarta fan spotted :hbang:

For me a .74 works wonderfully at 28" even for the low E. If you can put up with a little more stiffness when you tune up to G, go for it.
Since it's an 8 string, I assume you're going to add a high F. I think a .08 should work just fine for that. For the rest I'd recommend a D'Addario EXL116 set.

Needless to say, a good setup is crucial, so don't be afraid to spend as much time as you need on it.
Awesome ive been lookin at a calculator to try and figure this all out. Strugglin to get those gnarly low string 12th-20 fret notes to resonate right. I need a good setup to sound like they should so thank you for your reply!!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Awesome ive been lookin at a calculator to try and figure this all out. Strugglin to get those gnarly low string 12th-20 fret notes to resonate right. I need a good setup to sound like they should so thank you for your reply!!

For one, don't try to get your action stupid low on the 7th and 8th strings and the 12th fret. It'll buzz like crazy. Those strings, regardless of tension move more than standard strings. I know this wasn't mentioned, just something to keep in mind as you set up the guitar. At 28" a 64 should be more than enough. The thicker the string the more low end you add. If you go too thick, you could muddy up your tone. I just adjust how I play on an 8 string. I play lighter with hotter pickups. I have hot vintage style or single coils in my 6 string guitars, and abuse them with my right hand. My low string is in E most of the time and D sometimes. If you're looking for a higher string than an E for the treble side instead of a lower string, I can understand if you're tuning to E or F with a 64. I use an 80 for my E. 64 for 7th string tuned to B. If I'm understanding you right, you want to tune everything sharp a half step. You could probably get away with something between a 75 and an 80 for the low string.