That 70s Amp

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
narad pointed this 1974 1959 that was listed in Japan out to me and I took a gamble on it. Pretty happy with how the gamble turned out. This amp has basically had things done to it I would have ended up doing to it anyways and everything else is original. The filter caps have been replaced and it's had a new grounded power cord put in. It also looks like new jacks were installed at some point.

metal-panel2.jpg
metal-panel.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Mustard caps I think they call them? What were the mods again?

70’s superlead bros! :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
narad pointed this 1974 1959 that was listed in Japan out to me and I took a gamble on it. Pretty happy with how the gamble turned out. This amp has basically had things done to it I would have ended up doing to it anyways and everything else is original. The filter caps have been replaced and it's had a new grounded power cord put in. It also looks like new jacks were installed at some point.

View attachment 138324
View attachment 138325
Cool amp!
Are these a pretty hard find in general, hence international shopping? Or were you taking advantage of that sweet sweet exchange rate?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mustard caps I think they call them? What were the mods again?

70’s superlead bros! :lol:

Yep still has all the original mustard caps and the lemco ceramics. This thing is glorious! And Ishibashi / ZenMarked packed ready for a war :lol:

The main can filter caps have been replaced and a grounded 3 prong power cord was put in. It also looks like the jacks were replaced but the setup is still stock.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
50 :lol: Amp is from early 1974.

You've got to at least let me play it for more than 30 minutes before trying to claim it :rofl: I don't see this getting sold on anytime soon...
Plug into ch2 high and start rolling up ch1 unplugged and see if it seems to add gain/brightness like mine does (noise floor). When you can, of course.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plug into ch2 high and start rolling up ch1 unplugged and see if it seems to add gain/brightness like mine does (noise floor). When you can, of course.

Will do. That could just be added noise getting into the signal being perceived as brightness :lol:

I need to pull the chassis and really go over what was done with the polarity switch / grounded cord too and make sure that's right. I mainly just pulled it to see if it had all the original caps etc.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Will do. That could just be added noise getting into the signal being perceived as brightness :lol:

I need to pull the chassis and really go over what was done with the polarity switch / grounded cord too and make sure that's right. I mainly just pulled it to see if it had all the original caps etc.
Its 100% what it is, but being new to the amps I thought it was internally jumpered. This resulted in the tech trip and getting a proper 3-prong cord. Still cracks me up a little.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its 100% what it is, but being new to the amps I thought it was internally jumpered. This resulted in the tech trip and getting a proper 3-prong cord. Still cracks me up a little.

I am feeling like I need a 70s Les Paul to go with the 70s amp... if only I could find a 70s LP Custom for what I paid for the amp :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go deluxe save bucks, buy the $3200cdn one at Capsule (where my superlead came from) for $2300usd and go!

I've said it before I'll say it again, Gibson needs to add a maple neck Les Paul Custom to the current production lineup that isn't a limited edition artist model...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've said it before I'll say it again, Gibson needs to add a maple neck Les Paul Custom to the current production lineup that isn't a limited edition artist model...
I feel like they just toss them out as mod shop editions, but I dont follow the mod shop to confirm lol.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like they just toss them out as mod shop editions, but I dont follow the mod shop to confirm lol.

I've seen nothing lately... IIRC even the Wino Cantrell LPC didn't have the maple neck. It just seems like they stopped doing them.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen nothing lately... IIRC even the Wino Cantrell LPC didn't have the maple neck. It just seems like they stopped doing them.
I think the run of 74 lpc reissues (dafuq) have them? They did the pancake body at least…

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
@technomancer is that the photo at your place, or from the listing? Wondering what Marshall that is you have underneath it.

From the sound of it I expect the place to look basically like Sonic Drive Studios except that all the amps are all different Marshall mods in various stages of completion.