The AMT ss-20 is pretty bad***!

Gmork

Reaction score
This thing sounds pretty insane!
I have it posted for sale locally and decided to make a short demo vid before it goes but im seriously having 2nd thoughts lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The SS-20 is the loudest preamp I've ver had. I don't think I ever got it past 9:00 through a real amp.

It's a clever 4-stage hybrid JFET/tube hybrid design. Even though the tube runs at 300V, the input stage is JFET. This makes it less sensitive to tube noises and microphonics, so you can (and I do) use microphonic tubes on it with no noises.

The second JFET stage activates when running lead gain past noon, IIRC. I preferred the crunch channel on this one, shame it didn't have more gain.

Gmork

Reaction score
Hows it compare to the Kartakou Beastbox?
I don't think I've touched the beastbox since I made that comparison vid months ago but I think they seem pretty similar tone wise.
Both have a tubey chewiness in the lowend (which is what I love most) so yeah pretty similar, id have to A/B them. I haven't used the ss20 at band volume but I bet it's killer. The beast box through my 6505+ fx loop at band practice sounded better than the amp!
Maybe I should do a comparison vid of the ss20/beastbox, if I dont sell the ss20.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I've touched the beastbox since I made that comparison vid months ago but I think they seem pretty similar tone wise.
Both have a tubey chewiness in the lowend (which is what I love most) so yeah pretty similar, id have to A/B them. I haven't used the ss20 at band volume but I bet it's killer. The beast box through my 6505+ fx loop at band practice sounded better than the amp!
Maybe I should do a comparison vid of the ss20/beastbox, if I dont sell the ss20.
That would be nice to watch!