The Black Dahlia Murder continuing on, announces tribute show and future

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who thought the guitars sounded quiet. I like the fact you can hear the bass with note-for-note clarity, but I'd have liked to have the guitars a bit higher, I feel like I'm missing the intricacies of the riffs because they're relatively quiet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Sick, not that I had any doubts it wouldn’t be. Brian always did vocals, so not surprised he was able to step in and handle it full time. Musically he’s always been a primary writer too, plus now you get Knight and Ellis as a bonus. Only downside, no more eye f’n Brians ESPs. Always been one of my favorite bands, so really cool to see them carry on and not just as short term tribute to Trevor.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm so happy with how this all worked out.
Losing Big Trev was such a gut punch and I still think about it pretty regularly; this band was a huge part of me finding my musical identity. But I really couldn't have imagined a better way to carry the torch forward than what we got.

Still sounds like TBDM. Doesn't feel cheap, doesn't feel hollow. It's gunna be bittersweet as hell but I'm looking forward to the record.

Big_taco

Reaction score
Happy to hear new BDM and Brian sounds great.

As for the production, I didn't like the sound of the last album, which Brandon handled, and I saw him listed as producer for this new one as well. The quality level doesn't quite stack up to what they had from Nocturnal through Nightbringers.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone scoop vinyl? Box set looked cool (slipmat included) but too much vinyl lol. There’s an EU variant that appears to be /200 where the US variants are /500 and /750.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who thought the guitars sounded quiet. I like the fact you can hear the bass with note-for-note clarity, but I'd have liked to have the guitars a bit higher, I feel like I'm missing the intricacies of the riffs because they're relatively quiet.

Happy to hear new BDM and Brian sounds great.

As for the production, I didn't like the sound of the last album, which Brandon handled, and I saw him listed as producer for this new one as well. The quality level doesn't quite stack up to what they had from Nocturnal through Nightbringers.

I too do not like the guitar tone and mix

Are they still using the (new) 5150s?

No worries guys.
They are calling in Lars to give it the AJFA treatment...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s 90’s grunge, wrong thread :lol:

Everyone on mix critique, whats your playback system? Genuine question as sometimes mixes absolutely decrease the “wow” factor (first experienced this with LoG and AILD ages ago, couldnt figure it out for a few years).

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I listened on my monitors and I can't hear the harsh high end or scratchiness that some people have been talking about, but then again I'm probably deaf at those frequencies

Big_taco

Reaction score
That’s 90’s grunge, wrong thread :lol:

Everyone on mix critique, whats your playback system? Genuine question as sometimes mixes absolutely decrease the “wow” factor (first experienced this with LoG and AILD ages ago, couldnt figure it out for a few years).
Car, recording rig, and the ol’ (but dope AF) garage stereo step up. It doesn’t sound bad and still sounds like BDM but there’s a noticeable difference between this, verminous, and anything between Nocturnal and Nightbringers.

That said, very happy they are keeping it going. I’ve listened to the track about 30 times. It rips. I think they’ll be able to keep going for a long while.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
The phallic nature of this album art is probably intentional, at least by the artist. It's Paolo Girardi and his art is pretty infamous for having all sorts of weird shit hidden in it.