The Black Dahlia Murder continuing on, announces tribute show and future

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
This band is important. And it has strange cross-over appeal. Somehow even girls in my college were into this band. People that don't care about metal at all otherwise.
I think they were smart, driven and humble enough to go play whatever whenever to get the exposure. They played Warped Tour, I went that year just to see them and iirc ETID that year. You just don’t see a lot of death metal bands doing that, Corpse played Mayhem Fest I can’t imagine them playing Warped. They also never went all in on a tough guy, “this shit real”, “we’re heavier than you” approach. They have merch with colors besides black, white and red. They’ve always been the goofy, fun melodic death metal band once they hit their stride. They being said, I never had to worry about having Trevor pull a Randy Blythe and decide one day to start singing and shit. They never lost their edge. I remember when I met my now fiancé, I showed her the music I like and she was especially put off by TBDM having never been to anything heavier than you’d normally see at a Warped Tour. The imagery, lyrics, titles and abrasive sound had her thinking a certain way about it all. One day she came over while I was watching my ‘Majesty’ DVD. I’ll never forget seeing it click, she goes, “Ooohh…they’re a bunch of nerds?”. Fast forward a bit and she came to see 200 Stab Wounds at St. Vitus in Brooklyn with me most recently.

i've honestly always liked John's solos more, even though i've also known that Ryan and Brandon could play circles around him on his best day. maybe it's nostalgia but i'd rather listen to any solo on Miasma or Nocturnal over almost any Ryan/Brandon solo. that being said, i love hearing the little twists that Brandon does on John's solos live.

that being said, i was heartbroken when John got booted because i figured they'd never be good again (i was like 13 or 14) and went down a rabbit hole reading about why, and the gist i got was that he basically contributed nothing and other members had to help him write his solos by humming melodies and stuff like that, so i'm sure it was a huge relief to them to have someone who was a virtuoso by comparison come in
Despite any old controversy and what may have been going on behind the scenes I still love John’s performances on the old stuff too. That’s part of Ryan’s appeal to me, his stuff has a similar feel to me except the technicality of his stuff is just on another level. They both, imo, can sound predictable at times though. Enter Brandon Ellis, he seems to grab from a deeper bag of tricks than either and brings a new (retro inspired for sure) style that neither have. I will miss Brian’s AtG worship style riffing. I don’t think Brian can be topped there but Ellis and Knight together is just peak potential as far as solos are concerned in my mind.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
It seems like they're playing their respective leads and splitting the rest.

Also I agree Brian and Ryan riffs were better. Ellis riffs are too "Arsis" for me.

Brandon's riffs really sound more thrashy to me than death metal, which is what the later (and as a huge fan, somewhat forgettable) sound of Arsis is. Celebration of Guilt and United in Regret very much sound like Ryan's style and were pretty recognizable to me the moment he joined TBDM. Obviously Brian wrote most of the riffs for a while, but Knight's presence was certainly made clear when he joined.

Interesting you say that, my fiance was into this band before I met her as well and she wasn't going much beyond A Day to Remember in high school so I definitely think you're right.

Also I don't know if it's Ellis/Knight elevating the material live or if I've just come to appreciate the quirks but John's solos have always gotten some decent flak by myself and others and I don't mind them as much as I used to.

I enjoy the old solos but both Ryan and Brandon have stated that they put a lot of embellishments and nuances into those old solos to make them their own a little so to speak, and I've come to like them even more.

They both, imo, can sound predictable at times though. Enter Brandon Ellis, he seems to grab from a deeper bag of tricks than either and brings a new (retro inspired for sure) style that neither have. I will miss Brian’s AtG worship style riffing. I don’t think Brian can be topped there but Ellis and Knight together is just peak potential as far as solos are concerned in my mind.

As much as I love Brandon's playing, and from the times I've talked to him he's been a super humble, down to earth, good dude, his playing sounds more predictable to me personally. I think he's absolutely excellent at playing the material, but his own stuff just doesn't grab me as much. His solos are really good but his riffs are pretty forgettable to me unfortunately. No disrespect to Brandon, he's one of the best guitarists alive right now, but I haven't heard him write anything that has really made me think on it much. He has some crazy good legato, very wide vibrato, and some sweet harmonic stuff going on. I can definitely pick him out when I hear his playing.

Ryan, to me, has much more variety. Solos like those in I Will Return, Carbonized in Cruciform, the melodies and solos in Overthrown by Arsis, just about the entire United in Regret album; they all have a sound that not many other people have captured. Ryan has the jazzy stuff, the slippery tappy stuff, the 8 finger tappy stuff, the tech-death stuff, and the cool sustained chord stuff like on Moonlight Equilibrium.

I really hope Brian keeps writing the riffs though because that man has one of the best rhythm styles in the business and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Necky379

Reaction score
I really hope Brian keeps writing the riffs though because that man has one of the best rhythm styles in the business and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

I couldn’t agree with this more, fuck it, let’s have 3 guitar players in TBDM :)

Brian is the best in the game at what he does.

Last edited:

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Brandon's riffs really sound more thrashy to me than death metal, which is what the later (and as a huge fan, somewhat forgettable) sound of Arsis is. Celebration of Guilt and United in Regret very much sound like Ryan's style and were pretty recognizable to me the moment he joined TBDM. Obviously Brian wrote most of the riffs for a while, but Knight's presence was certainly made clear when he joined.

I enjoy the old solos but both Ryan and Brandon have stated that they put a lot of embellishments and nuances into those old solos to make them their own a little so to speak, and I've come to like them even more.

As much as I love Brandon's playing, and from the times I've talked to him he's been a super humble, down to earth, good dude, his playing sounds more predictable to me personally. I think he's absolutely excellent at playing the material, but his own stuff just doesn't grab me as much. His solos are really good but his riffs are pretty forgettable to me unfortunately. No disrespect to Brandon, he's one of the best guitarists alive right now, but I haven't heard him write anything that has really made me think on it much. He has some crazy good legato, very wide vibrato, and some sweet harmonic stuff going on. I can definitely pick him out when I hear his playing.

Ryan, to me, has much more variety. Solos like those in I Will Return, Carbonized in Cruciform, the melodies and solos in Overthrown by Arsis, just about the entire United in Regret album; they all have a sound that not many other people have captured. Ryan has the jazzy stuff, the slippery tappy stuff, the 8 finger tappy stuff, the tech-death stuff, and the cool sustained chord stuff like on Moonlight Equilibrium.

Makes sense. It has been so many years since I listened to Arsis... Haha. Like over 10 years.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like they're doing more dates!

They're back in Detroit Jan 20th, haven't checked other dates though.

Big_taco

Reaction score
Killer line up. Already snagged tickets. The first show in a while where I actually want to see every band.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Im very curious to hear this one.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Next week?! Lets fucking go.
They posted something on IG that Aftermath is the name of the album. Someone commented that all of the album names have been three-syllables. I never noticed that. Obviously wonderful that they’re continuing this tradition.
See ya tomorrow.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm surprised they haven't posted it. That "next week" was last week lol
but we got a couple of days left I guess