The Blackouts must be a success...

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
You serious?!

*waits for the "Alexi's signature now has a REAL pickup* comments* :squint:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
...since Mick Tompson and Alexi Laiho are now using them. I wonder how many more people are going to be leaving EMG?

A ton of artists are switching. It's not one of those Krank type deals either, most people just really do prefer them. I'm happy for Seymour Duncan. Innovation should be rewarded.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
They're really popular. they took a while to grow on me, but they did. still prefer emg's though, never had issues other people have had :shrug: (the 85 too, lets not start this nick :lol::lol:)
They're really good pups though. Just not my cup of tea
Like i said, and Nick and alot of other people have said before, they really gotta grow on you though. theyre just really different, from emgs, not just passives

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're really popular. they took a while to grow on me, but they did. still prefer emg's though, never had issues other people have had :shrug: (the 85 too, lets not start this nick :lol::lol:)
They're really good pups though. Just not my cup of tea
Like i said, and Nick and alot of other people have said before, they really gotta grow on you though. theyre just really different, from emgs, not just passives

Damn. I will admit this has my curiosity up...

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
i'm curious as to what EMG will respond with (if they respond at all, or continue to stagnate...), if the success of the blackouts continues.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I've had my Blackouts in my Jackson for months and months now and have been talking non-stop about how much better they are than EMGs. They are still compressed and active sounding, but the resulting tone is just way better with the Duncans.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting 18v to these? I know the blackouts are supposed to negate the need to do so, I just wonder if it makes a difference with the blackouts as well.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
yep, i want to try them to. Duncan will probably make another convert.

psychoticsnoman

Reaction score
if i can get my hands on an emg sized blackout id like to try them out anyone know a site that sells them pretty cheap

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting 18v to these? I know the blackouts are supposed to negate the need to do so, I just wonder if it makes a difference with the blackouts as well.

:lol: This has been asked in like EVERY blackout thread on here man! :D The answer was that a couple guys on the Duncan board tried it out and said that there was little-to-no change between running the pickups at the recommended 9v and 18v mod. :agreed: It seems Seymour Duncan really did their homework on this one! :wub:

frank falbo

Reaction score
i'm curious as to what EMG will respond with (if they respond at all, or continue to stagnate...), if the success of the blackouts continues.

:mega: Once again, I'm taking my "Seymour Duncan" hat off and speaking freely as a consumer and SS.org forumite:

What will be interesting to me is how the public will respond to any move they make. Right now it seems they have to stick to their guns, and act as though there's no reason for them to change anything. If they come out with a passive sized 707 or 81-7, etc. it could be perceived as "following the leader" in a way, which puts them at a disadvantage. They certainly can't be the "first" anymore. And if it has sharp corners, it won't fit right in the Ibanez routes, and perhaps some of the other passive routes. So then, if they round the corners off, they've just come out with a "Seymour Duncan Blackout look-a-like" which may be really uncomfortable for them.

The same is true if they roll out a "new and improved" 81/85/etc. with lower noise, or whatever. They will be seen as responding to the competition. About the only thing they can do right now (I hope they're not reading this) is launch a new model, with a different sound or something. (watch our NAMM releases as well. There will soon be Blackout single coils, another Blackout bridge pickup, and Livewires Classic II's that are now 9-volts, 25k pots, and compatible with Blackouts) :yesway:

If I were in their position, (now I really hope they're not reading this) I would play it off like they're the "Shure SM57 & 58". In other words, they're the standard by which other's are measured, and they're the ones that have been doing it the longest, etc. There are better mics than the 57/58 but Shure still sells them by the truckloads. If I were in their marketing department I would continue to create ads that showcase their artists, and how many classic albums throughout the past 30 years were recorded with EMG's. Kind of like the Duncan JB, or Celestion Vintage 30's, etc. Wow I hope I don't regret this post...:lol:

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
blackout single coils?
does that mean there's a possibility of active seven string single coil pickups in the future?

if so...

*ahem*

:woohoo:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So I am a huge EMG 85 in the bridge fan, how do the blackouts sound in comparison to this?

You would want to try the Duncan Blackout neck model in this case first, as it has an alnico magnet ala the 85 and will be more close to home. The Blackout bridge has a ceramic like the 81. That said you may still like the bridge model, it has way more balls and tone than the 81.