The BTBAM megathread

• Thread starter mithologian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it's a lot more straightforward: at least 50% of the rest of the band doesn't want Dustie in anymore. I doubt he's going to pull a Roger Waters and tour as "Dustie Waring Presents Between The Buried and Me." He likely wants out just as bad, but wants compensation and is leveraging public opinion to get as much as possible.

Nothing in that letter is substantiated or binding, again, it's textbook threat by litigation.

Lol, that would be hilarious, though. I want to see dueling BTBAM acts.

Regardless, they're clearly incorporated as a LLC and have relevant agreements. We don't know what's contained within those agreements. But yeah, sounds like he's looking to be bought out properly. I'm sure they'll reach some settlement. Waring doesn't have much to lose by taking this to court (other than money) because he's already out of the band, but I imagine the band would prefer not to get sucked into what could be a very protracted legal battle.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol, that would be hilarious, though. I want to see dueling BTBAM acts.

Regardless, they're clearly incorporated as a LLC and have relevant agreements. We don't know what's contained within those agreements. But yeah, sounds like he's looking to be bought out properly. I'm sure they'll reach some settlement. Waring doesn't have much to lose by taking this to court (other than money) because he's already out of the band, but I imagine the band would prefer not to get sucked into what could be a very protracted legal battle.

And that's the typical game of chicken in this situation, and pretty much all bargaining.

They'll settle after a few months of back and forth, probably after Dustie's lawyer starts seeing his fee isn't going to pan out as big and the band's management and label find the number they're comfortable with.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

snhowie827

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why does that legal copy read like a Reddit comment? Maybe I'm crazy but all I could imagine was the freshest junior associate drafting up that letter with that language.

Uhm actually it's illegal to fire my client

On a side note looks like Dustie got a new lawyer. The lawyer that drafted the letter he posted is a different lawyer than the one that issued the denial statement last year. He must not be hurting too bad financially if he's able to afford a high profile celebrity lawyer now lol.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
What was Dustie's contribution to their sound? I know Dan's the fusion/prog rock guy

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
What was Dustie's contribution to their sound? I know Dan's the fusion/prog rock guy
Dusty has a very southern influenced, riff heavy style, not many leads but a ton of the really stanky riffs were Dusty's.

I've always said while I love his guitar playing, he's the most replaceable of the whole band.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Kinda saddens me to read all of this, as I've been a big fan of the band sine ages, and Dustie is a really good guitarists IMO. I was not aware of the situation they are in before reading this today.

I have my periods thoughout the years where I'm listening to Colors on reapeat for weeks. But im sure his replacement will be top class. Not the easiest music to learn and play for a full set.

Last edited:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dusty has a very southern influenced, riff heavy style, not many leads but a ton of the really stanky riffs were Dusty's.

I've always said while I love his guitar playing, he's the most replaceable of the whole band.
It would be sad should they decide to move on from Dustie. I really enjoy his playing. Always have. I hope everything works out. Love this band.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lineup changes happen, and with BTBAM it's usually brought something new and interesting. As someone who hasn't been big on the last few releases, maybe some new talent will be appreciated.

If anything I'm more excited for the next album because turmoil like this can make for some great writing fodder.

Or maybe Dustie was the mastermind and it's just going to be pre-Alaska BTBAM again...which I'd also be stoked for if I'm being honest. :lol:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Lineup changes happen, and with BTBAM it's usually brought something new and interesting. As someone who hasn't been big on the last few releases, maybe some new talent will be appreciated.

If anything I'm more excited for the next album because turmoil like this can make for some great writing fodder.

Or maybe Dustie was the mastermind and it's just going to be pre-Alaska BTBAM again...which I'd also be stoked for if I'm being honest. :lol:
They haven't made anything as compelling as Silent Circus/Alaska since those albums came out, IMO. Silent Circus is still probably my favorite just because I like the heavy with a touch prog style instead of the prog with a touch of heavy thing they have been doing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They haven't made anything as compelling as Silent Circus/Alaska since those albums came out, IMO. Silent Circus is still probably my favorite just because I like the heavy with a touch prog style instead of the prog with a touch of heavy thing they have been doing.

Yeah Selftitled and TSC are pretty much perfect albums.

I feel like you can split the band into three "eras", the first two albums, Alaska and Colors, then all the later snoo...I mean albums.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of early BTBAM, has anyone else checked out Tristan Auman's band Sometime In February? I don't know if I'm being optimistic but there are definitely some "first three" vibes to a lot of parts.

Would be interesting if he joined full time. Maybe with Paul's current relationship with leads having someone rip out the epic shred again would be cool.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Just came to say I've loved a lot of this band's music over the years, but fuck Dustie, dude is a predator. I was very disappointed when it looked like they might add him back to the band, bad look for everyone involved. As others have said I hope some fresh talent also freshens up their music, I haven't been excited by much they've done since Colors.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Believe women and girls. I've been around music scene predators my whole life. Dude's behavior speaks volumes, so much of it is right out of the creep playbook. There's more than enough circumstantial evidence for me to believe his accusers with a clean conscience.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I'm not saying Dustie is innocent, or that it needs to be "proven in a court of law" for it to be true

But it coming to light that at the very least the background/premise/basis of the original allegation, was made up of a fair amount of bullshit, it does raise some questions :shrug:

That said, even if it turned out he was completely innocent the whole thing definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth..

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
We should believe the truth. Putting any kind of absolutes to it otherwise is terrible practice for obvious reasons.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but an anonymous reddit post doesn't mean such is the case. Beware of the difference between evidence and proof. All proof is evidence, but not all evidence is proof.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score

Pre-Alaska BTBAM would draw me right back in. Those days were the peak of my fandom. Used to love some Gadrel/Glass Casket too.

Latest posts