The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Yay, my Vectra is back in action. Apparenty one of the back tire brake lines was leaking so they made a completely new one for it and also switched both brake pads/disks to the back tires. Only 200€ for the parts and another one for the work. Did the inspection too and passed with flying flags. The dude only complainted about one of the headlights since it's still all screwed up but said whatever. :lol:

Now since it's road legal again, it's time to start selling it and shopping for a new one. :leon:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yay, my Vectra is back in action. Apparenty one of the back tire brake lines was leaking so they made a completely new one for it and also switched both brake pads/disks to the back tires. Only 200€ for the parts and another one for the work. Did the inspection too and passed with flying flags. The dude only complainted about one of the headlights since it's still all screwed up but said whatever. :lol:

Now since it's road legal again, it's time to start selling it and shopping for a new one. :leon:

Not bad considering they also did the actual brakes.

I'll probably also be looking at a new car soon (ish). Wife will be driving considerably more for her new job, so we'll need a car with lower consumption. A PHEV would probably be the best, because the distances are still relatively short and she could probably charge it for free at work, but we'll see what happens...

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Me on the phone yesterday: "can you tell me about the condition of the exhaust, subframe, rear shock towers, and general undercarriage?"

Dealer: "this one is really clean".

Me driving 45 minutes away, looking at the vehicle for less than 30 seconds, and driving home:

Screenshot_20240614-103523_Gallery.jpg

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i gotta get u in my 440i lmao just has standard dp+tune makes like 450bhp, not fast but def quick
Yeah, my dad called another place and they said they can fix it no problem. I don't know why he always insists on using this one dude who never seems to get anything done. 🙄

The dude really tried to sell the loaner Saab I was driving for me and told me those V6 engines are super expensive and pain in the ass to maintain so now my eyes are on a Vectra that has a 2 liter non-V6 engine, basicly the same as the Saab but has 175bhp stock and since the dude said the Saab could easily be programmed to put out 250bhp then the Vectra probably gets close to the V6 numbers. But we'll see. First I have to get that current piece of shit fixed so I can pass the inspection and sell it with light heart. :lol:

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i gotta get u in my 440i lmao just has standard dp+tune makes like 450bhp, not fast but def quick, should be able to make it to the moon
Well, shit. Since my car was leaking brake fluid I took it to a shop last week and today the dude called that they can't do anything about it. Or they could but the cost would be astronomical. I'm probably going to take the car to another shop during my summer vacation and hope they can fix it somehow just so it passes the annual check-up.

The loaner car I've had has a turbo and feels like a rocket. I was surprised when I checked the details that it only has 150bhp. Because of that and the fact I probably have to get a new car I've been drooling this Opel Vectra that has a V6 (with turbo, ofc) that's been tuned to 284bhp so I bet I could fly to the moon with it. :lol:

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
PSA: an old coax cable such as the one that hooks up to the back of a cable box is a great probe for unclogging the weeper on your A/C evap drain.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Don't know if this would be more suited for the FWP thread or why are you mad thread, but anyway...

I was heading to lunch and to drop of my mother in law's car with my wife and daughter. I'm reversing out of the driveway, which is a bit narrow for modern cars. Then my phone beeps with work notifications (a customer is having issues with an app I'm developing), daughter is asking her 1000 questions, and wife calls me from the other car. Too much commotion, and I loose my concentration and smash the driver side wing mirror into the post :wallbash:

Thankfully on this car the mirror is really flexible, so it just bent backwards (or forwards actually, since I was reversing) and all the plastic parts fell off. I was then able to reassemble it in a matter of seconds, and looks like the only thing that actually broke was the mirror glass which costs 12€ at the local parts shop. But still, goddamnit. I'm never going to lunch again :lol:

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
currently waiting on ‘overnight parts from Japan’ for my 2016 Subaru WRX STi. They’re really uncommon cars in the UK with a tiny dealer network and you have to be a bit of a masochist to own one.

The dashboard looks like a Christmas tree and it’s apparently something to do with secondary air pressure sensor for cold start.

And ‘overnight parts from Japan’ seems to mean none in the UK so wait time is 4-8 weeks.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
currently waiting on ‘overnight parts from Japan’ for my 2016 Subaru WRX STi. They’re really uncommon cars in the UK with a tiny dealer network and you have to be a bit of a masochist to own one.

The dashboard looks like a Christmas tree and it’s apparently something to do with secondary air pressure sensor for cold start.

And ‘overnight parts from Japan’ seems to mean none in the UK so wait time is 4-8 weeks.
Subaru, never again

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Blah, I had a closer look at the mirror assembly as it wasn't quite right, and turns out some of the plastic parts had cracked inside :wallbash: I can live with it for now and managed to tape some of the plastic parts together, but I think I might have to swap out the whole thing at some point. Luckily these cars are super common so I might be able to find it from a scrap yard, and also looks like aftermarket ones only cost something like 50€ a piece. Guess I might swap both out and maybe that'll solve my thermometer problem as well...

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Subaru, never again
I've done 8 years of trouble free ownership and this is the first time anything has happened.

There was an issue when my cat cannonballed out of the bathroom window and required a new hood and front end respray, but that's my fault not the cat's and certainly not the car's ;)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I've done 8 years of trouble free ownership and this is the first time anything has happened.

There was an issue when my cat cannonballed out of the bathroom window and required a new hood and front end respray, but that's my fault not the cat's and certainly not the car's ;)
Cat ok?
Mine (rip Link) jumped from the roof of my Lakehouse onto the hood of my XR, creasing the corners of the Hood Scoop...

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I believe you.

i just know too many subaru owners (mainly ej25/fa20 models) that describe the reliability on the same level as something like an old ducati lmao

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Cat ok?
Mine (rip Link) jumped from the roof of my Lakehouse onto the hood of my XR, creasing the corners of the Hood Scoop...
Cat is absolutely fine, I took him to the vet who kept him in overnight and did X-rays and other checks and there wasn't a scratch on him :D

I believe you.

i just know too many subaru owners (mainly ej25/fa20 models) that describe the reliability on the same level as something like an old ducati lmao
Oh yeah, I await the day of the piston ring failure :( WRXs are rare here, so I only know one other Subaru guy locally but I know the internet is full of the stories of EJ25 fun and games, however I'm only a short distance from one of the UK's best EJ engine builders and about the same distance from RCM for parts, so I do have options if/when it happens ;)

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cat is absolutely fine, I took him to the vet who kept him in overnight and did X-rays and other checks and there wasn't a scratch on him :D

Oh yeah, I await the day of the piston ring failure :( WRXs are rare here, so I only know one other Subaru guy locally but I know the internet is full of the stories of EJ25 fun and games, however I'm only a short distance from one of the UK's best EJ engine builders and about the same distance from RCM for parts, so I do have options if/when it happens ;)
Built engine incoming?!

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Built engine incoming?!
Built engine incoming :).

Not before I have to. But when it’s time. It’s time :)

I really love the car and we don't get the current VB chassis, so I’ll do what I can to keep this one on the road as long as I can.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of the shade on subarus, someone in my neighborhood has a boyfriend who pulls up in a BRZ fairly often, and I'm wanting one bad now that I sold my MR2. Thinking next spring.