The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Sorry to bring hot fire here:
Not looking to discuss the argument at hand, just curious what is the pin that gets mentioned in regard to neck alignment? Is it like a dowel in the neck pocket?
I've only ever taken apart a Fender, and that's just 4 screws, I'm wondering if Kiesel uses other things in their neck pocket other than the bolts that attach the body and neck together.
There is a small (maybe about 3/16" diameter metal pin, kinda like a small dowel, probably an off-the-shelf roller bearing or something) metal pin. However, I wonder if they use it any more.

A Strat's neck has a stopping point in the pocket. The neck can only go in so far before it hits a wall. Kiesel's pocket was open-ended shared with the neck pickup route. This pin helped ensure that the neck was in the proper place when it was screwed down Since it was free to slide in "too far".

Since the launch of the A2 and then the Bolt-On Vader, they've started to roll out this new neck heel and pocket design across the line to the other bolt-ons. This new designs pocket now has 3 "walls", so that pin may not be necessary for the models that have received this updated pocket/heel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Kiesel's pocket was open-ended shared with the neck pickup route.
Right, I remember talking about this with you previously when Kiesel introduced the neck pickup delete option for some models. That makes sense why the previous neck pocket required a guiding pin, thanks for explaining!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Anyone know if Kiesel will sell me some of their pickup covers? I just want to cover my Lithium/Holdsworth set.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It grinds my gears to no end that selecting the "Allan's preferred configuration" button makes the guitar non-returnable. I sort of get it for the Fatboy, since he used two pickup ones, but for the HH1X it just blows my mind.

And yeah, that Fatboy in HH1X dress is awesome.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know if Kiesel will sell me some of their pickup covers? I just want to cover my Lithium/Holdsworth set.
If you can't get them from Kiesel you can get them from Seymour Duncan in either standard or F spacing, and they're unbranded. You could also get one of the Amazon ones for cheaper, but I can't vouch for those.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I.... I don't want to get banned, but I just felt the need to point out somewhere the absolute hilarity of the 22-page thread getting closed right at the end of page 21. We absolutely saw it coming. We were told it was coming, but maybe there was hope, who knows. And then it finally came with an absolute sense of finality. Like your favorite cheesy sitcom with the absolutely predictable punchlines that make you double over every time. Well played mods. (Max) This will forever live in my memory as one of my favorite moments in SSO history.

Back to actual productive discussion though:
I've always loved their Pearl Blue, and it looks killer on the Fatboy:
View attachment 145626

Not gonna lie, this thing is pretty af and if I found one like it secondhand, I'd think about it however briefly.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I.... I don't want to get banned, but I just felt the need to point out somewhere the absolute hilarity of the 22-page thread getting closed right at the end of page 21. We absolutely saw it coming. We were told it was coming, but maybe there was hope, who knows. And then it finally came with an absolute sense of finality. Like your favorite cheesy sitcom with the absolutely predictable punchlines that make you double over every time. Well played mods. (Max) This will forever live in my memory as one of my favorite moments in SSO history.

Back to actual productive discussion though:

Not gonna lie, this thing is pretty af and if I found one like it secondhand, I'd think about it however briefly.
I still had several memes lined up, oh well...

il_fullxfull.3833044855_6j9j.jpg

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Max running into that thread on page 21....

giphy.gif

Moongrum

Reaction score
Ok but let's not post them here, I don't actually want this thread locked up 😅
Can probably post it here:

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The bevel certainly does.

It undoes any cosmic horror that the top and the finish may have been going for. I do like the top and fretboard though.

I considered re-editing my comment to make mention of the bevel because I know that's another point of controversy around these parts. In many cases I don't mind the bevel, but it is not my favorite in this case. I just can't get over how nice that burst came out.