The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tr3vor

Reaction score
In my opinion, it sounds like some of the people that are complaining forgot that sometimes musicians write music for themselves and not for their fans or a genre.

No one said they couldn't do what they want, but no one has to like it either. Sure you can find riffapocolypse album #1284159 on the internet, but no one else does it the way the contortionist can.

Intrinsic remastered when?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
No one said they couldn't do what they want, but no one has to like it either. Sure you can find riffapocolypse album #1284159 on the internet, but no one else does it the way the contortionist can.

Intrinsic remastered when?

I know that no one said they couldn’t do what they want. That’s not what I said either.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
The new album is fantastic for what it is, but I do wish it had some more insane / climactic guitar parts. Most of the bigger parts are very sound-scape ish, ala Flux Conduct. Not a bad thing necessarily, just something I was looking forward to that didn't happen.

I personally very much enjoy when bands change their sound significantly from album to album rather than making the same thing over & over. Take The Black Dahlia Murder for example. I stopped paying much attention to their albums after Deflorate because they all sound exactly the same.

I love every release from the Contortionist for totally different reasons & that makes this band very special. Clairvoyant is an incredibly unique album. Nothing I've ever heard sounds like it and the composition / musicianship is incredible.

That being said, I would be totally okay if Relapse wasn't on the album. For sure the low point of the album for me. Something about the vocal melody just makes me want to hit the skip button haha. I also don't really get the love for the title track.

For me, both Monochrome tracks, Godspeed and The Center are the best songs on Clairvoyant.

EDIT:
Just read through THIS article that was referenced earlier. Everyone that's on the fence about this album should read it. I already really enjoyed this album, now I love it.

Last edited:

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
I really dig the new album. It gave me something I didn't know I wanted, like BTBAM did with Coma Ecleptic or Mastodon did with Crack The Skye.

That being said, I do understand if someone did not like Clairvoyant... It's like Dylan going Progressive Post Djent...

bmth4111

Reaction score
Where is the lyric book. Do I need to be able to see into the fourth dimension to see the lyrics on the "thanks to" booklet?

SlipknotKoRnfan

Burn Jet Fuel
Reaction score
This album is exactly what I needed it to be, and for that i'm completely blown away.

So far favourite tracks on repeat are Monochrome (Passive), Clairvoyant, The Center, Relapse, Return to Earth.

squids

Reaction score
Apparently Lessard had to fight the label to -not- put in a lyric sheet. He'd rather leave it up to the listener's own interpretation.
Damn, seems like lessard really took control on this album...

Also is it me or do they use ukuleles on "passive"? around the 4 min mark

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I can't stop listening to this album, which I absolutely did not expect. Definitely struck a chord with me.

Reaction score
In the industry, especially once your band starts to gain genuine traction, you start getting pressure from everyone, labels, management, fans, friends etc to be something that fits their vision. Most of these bands started out with a pure pursuit of their vision, but once it becomes a job, those pressures can be a lot easier to fall for. I will always respect a band that continues to chase what is important to them, ignoring the wishes of what everyone, even the fans, want to hear, because they haven't lost what made music special to them in the first place. This is 100% what The Contortionist are doing here, it's a risky and scary move because it's not what anyone expects from them, and they went for it anyways because that is what was important to them. That's a ballsy move.
I figured I should listen to the album before I replied but I feel like this album isn't as ballsy or risky as you made it out to be, if anything it sounds like an extension of Language. I think most people at this point realize that The Contortionist aren't going to be releasing another album like Exoplanet or anything thats going to be traditionally heavy. They're still doing their own thing which is great but the album isn't that risky. That being said I actually really enjoyed listening to it and ended up liking the singles when I heard them in the context of the full album. I'm not sure if I like it more than Language but it'll definitely be getting several listens from me.

Reaction score
For fucks sake.

How ballsy do you have to be? To totally 180 from Exoplanet...(which a lot of you fuckers have said this album is from what you expected)

GET OVER YOURSELVES. Let the artists make the art they want to make and appreciate the fact that you get to experience it. Experience it at all. Progressive. Stay the same???? What??? ConflictCore™.

The Contortionist, et al:
Thank you for making this album. Thank you for not making Exoplanet v 2.0 (as much as I love your previous albums... ebb and flow and all...)

Reaction score
Chill out, I'm saying its not a ballsy move coming from Language, which it isn't. Going from Exoplanet to this would be a ballsy move but theres 3 albums showing that they're going towards lighter music, I don't think anyone in here thought this was going to be a heavy album.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter the album you compare it to. Your expectations are just that, YOURS. "Ballsy" is making the album YOU want to make. That's what they did. That's my point.

lewis

Reaction score
if playing a more mainstream music is supposed to guarantee more fans/sales and money on paper (at least thats what alot of acts think when they change), then how is it ballsy?

If its a safer bet then its not ballsy. Its cowardly.

cip 123

Reaction score
it sounds like an extension of Language.

Thats because it is an extension of Language.

I think most people at this point realize that The Contortionist aren't going to be releasing another album like Exoplanet or anything thats going to be traditionally heavy.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/contortionists-michael-lessard-acid-trips-philosophy-new-album

This interview says there were heavy parts on Language that were just put there for the sake of being heavy. These 2 albums are clearly a story and I think it should be allowed to be what it wants.

Who knows whats coming next, this story is finished.

Acme

Reaction score
While I'm digging the new album, I don't think it's a ballsy move either. But who cares if it's ballsy or not. If it's good music then it's good music and that's all that matters.

squids

Reaction score
It DOES matter which album you compare it to, since you were clearly talking about Language. Your expectations are just that, YOURS. "Ballsy" is making the album THEY want to make. That's what they did.
fyp