j3ps3

Reaction score
Eh, I tried listening to Lightworker last week but also couldn't get through it. His music just hasn't hit the same for me since Transcendence and I just find myself being frustrated with what could've been if he had stayed with that band and had their input into the music. I still like his old material but I was never a fan of the heavily ambient stuff he has done, so it's not for me.
I've felt this way since he ended Strapping Young Lad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
The version of Celestial Signals released with Transcendence was an 80% done demo that he put on the companion disk (Holding Patterns). Since Transcendence he's been putting out a second disk with each album, that contains songs that didn't make the cut for the actual record. Looks like Celestial Signals got a revisit and made sense to put on the actual Lightwork disk this time! I'm glad he went back to it, because I think it's a marked improvement over the original.
Thanks! I enjoyed that song on Transcendence a lot so all good.

I really dig Factions on the second disk of this album. Gave me some SYL vibes.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Listening to Lightwork while working changed my opinion on the album. It's definitely an easy-listening background album and I think in that context it's really good. Something like Empath can be maddening in the background, there's too much going on, but this is a really good "put on and do laundry / do code reviews" type of album. I still don't like Moonpeople as a song but the rest is a solid 6/10, with Ocean Machine being a 10 (this is a fact, obviously).

Matt08642

Reaction score
Someone needs to limit Devs use of opera vibrato :lol: I find most of his work post 4 DTP albums has been incredibly positive and major sounding songs, choirs, strings and AaAaAaAaAaA!!!!! Vibrato being like 80% of vocal delivery. As a diehard fan of almost everything 90s/2000s Dev, I’ve passed on basically all post-Addicted stuff.

The Mirror

Reaction score
Sure it is a track that was released earlier, but how is no one talking about "Factions"?

That track is by far the most City/Alien like song he ever did. The riffs are pure bonkers, the solo rips, the drums are madness. Holy shit.

Also going straight into "Yogi" after that is even more hilarious than the the "Hear Me - Why?" combo.

Love it.

Dooky

Reaction score
I give it a 4/10. Has some good moments. But they're a bit too few and far between for my liking.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Sure it is a track that was released earlier, but how is no one talking about "Factions"?

That track is by far the most City/Alien like song he ever did. The riffs are pure bonkers, the solo rips, the drums are madness. Holy shit.

Also going straight into "Yogi" after that is even more hilarious than the the "Hear Me - Why?" combo.

Love it.
See my post on Tuesday above. Yes, factions kicks all kinds of A$$! And…Nightwork > Lightwork

Festivus

Reaction score
Someone needs to limit Devs use of opera vibrato :lol: I find most of his work post 4 DTP albums has been incredibly positive and major sounding songs, choirs, strings and AaAaAaAaAaA!!!!! Vibrato being like 80% of vocal delivery. As a diehard fan of almost everything 90s/2000s Dev, I’ve passed on basically all post-Addicted stuff.

It sounds like the upcoming genital-themed symphonic opera from Dev might not be for you?

He is an enigma! Some songs on the album are jumping around a lot (for example Heartbreaker) whereas others have elements that seem surprisingly repetitive for Devin Townsend (the new, repeating chorus in Call Of The Void, maybe some parts of Lightworker too).

It's amazing to me that he can include some incredible song just as an album b-side. 'Total Collapse' off the Empath b-sides is one of my favorite songs ever! I think he's truly a once-in-a-generation talent.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
He said on twitter that he is starting to work on The Moth again and a project called "axolotl" which he describes as "alien pop music"

Antiproduct

Reaction score

Dev just started a new project/youtube channel for his ambient music.
He is also actively working on The Moth right now