keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, what an album. It's been on almost continuously since I bought it.

Any recommendations for other albums of his to check out? I also bought SYL's Alien, which I'm also enjoying immensely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Terria's my fave, but Ocean Machine's pretty bloody brilliant as well, particularly from "Greetings" on.

Also, "In the Rainy Season" from "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" is amazing.

-D

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So basically, just buy everything that has the words 'Devin Townsend' anywhere on the jacket....got it :D

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
How does Devin's solo stuff compare to SYL?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not QUITE as heavy - more singing, although he still screams a bit here and there. He's tough to classify - basically, a Devin Townsend solo album sounds like a Devin townsend solo album. :D

Think the more mellow SYL moments - the "In the Rainy Season" outro, or "Love?" off the newest. Now, turn that into an entire album.

Devin's just bloody brilliant - in terms of production he's probably my biggest influence (to the point where, one day when "Canada" came on a mp3 playlist set to random I had running, after having not heard it in a few months, I thought it was an original of mine that I just wasn't recognizing for like 30 seconds, because it starts off exactly the way I'd have recorded and arranged it, too. :lol:)

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hear a lot of black metal and tech/death metal influences in SYL that I don't hear in his solo stuff (mind, I only have one album of each to compare here)

macalpine88

Reaction score
a really good cd with devin it, although not the only singer, is ayreon - the human equation. it is a cd that you have to set aside a few hours for. also, Sex and religion by vai has devin in it. he is an awsome singer :metal:

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sex and Religion was my first exposure to Devin - definately a good album.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll have to ckech out that disc.

I'm not really a "Sex and Religion" fan - I admire Vai, and I LOVE Devin, but the two together... I sorta gather Steve pushed Devin to be a little more "over the top" than he does in his solo stuff, and it just doesn't quite mesh for me.

I mean, Devin's one of those guys that you wouldn't normally find yourself calling "tasteful" :lol: but I think he's definitely more tasteful on "Terria" than "S&R"

-D

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I've always been a HUGE SYL fan... never really checked out Devy's solo stuff until last month.

Just after Christmas, I bought Terria and Ocean Machine. Terria has been on constant rotation since... seriously. At least one listen a day... that shit is just...:eek: It's all just so goddamn epic and perfect, especially vocal-wise. I can't put into words how amazing that album is!

Last night, I picked up Sex & Religion. As a huge fan of Passion and Warfare and Vai in general, I figured Devin in the mix could only make things 100x better.

Boy was I wrong. Devins voice over Steve's playing, and Devins playing mixed in make for the most perfect combination in music. It's not 100x better, its 1524561243523562345 fuckzillion x better.

In the words of Devin at the beginning of Dirty Black Hole, "Holy shit. Holy Jesus Christ." This stuff is just amazing. Devin is hands down the most talented man in metal today.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to see the aftermath of locking Devin & Mike Patton in the same room together for a month. In a word, GODLY. :yesway:

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the man has most amazing voice ever... I'd love to have him sing over my bands stuff, as we nearly mix SYL with the DTB (Death/blackmetal with ambience and epicness)

DthMtlDave

Reaction score
I've gotten to see SYL twice in the last few months here in the Sacramento, CA area. Phenomenal each time. I second the "Devin is God" notion. Alien is in my top 5 all-time albums, with near daily rotation. Seeing Devin live is great too because of all the funny shit he says in between songs. When I saw him on the Fear Factory tour, he did his own version of Do Re Me (from Sound of Music). It was one of the funniest things I've heard. He actually said "Stroke your hairy fucking clam." I may actually have crappy digital camera Quicktime video of it; not sure if I got that particular bit though. I do have most of the songs from their set. I will continue to see them whenever they come near.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Devin Townsend Band is touring with Opeth and Dark Tranquility... I'll ditch school for this one!!!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Sex and Religion is incredible. It's one of my favorite Vai CDs. Devon also did a cover of Exciter that I love. Incredible vocals.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ancestor said:
Sex and Religion is incredible. It's one of my favorite Vai CDs. Devon also did a cover of Exciter that I love. Incredible vocals.

:yesway: I love that album.