The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
We've actually gotten compliments on how loud we WEREN'T.

So many people have commented that they can actually hear everything, and that it's not all white noise.

It's easier to enjoy that way.

Yes it is! We are more vocally based, and hearing what we are trying to sing gives you a better idea of what we do.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Don't insult the sound guy. You WILL sound worse and he won't care.

Don't insult the monitor guy. He'll not care about your mix.

Throwing stuff at said people makes you look like a twat.

However, the exception to this rule is asking for more trombone and xylophone in the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't ever ask the crowd if they like to party/drink, especially if you're playing a bar.

"Does [fill name of city/establishment] like to party?"

"Why no sir we are all quaint Amish folk who enjoy knitting and our barn raisings. "

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is! We are more vocally based, and hearing what we are trying to sing gives you a better idea of what we do.

:agreed:

the thing that i personally had to get my head around is that there's a stage mix, which is largely acoustic, and the venue mix, which is about 90% controlled by the soundguy. his job is easiest (and can thus make a great mix) when the stage mics aren't saturated with everything.

when i figured out how to keep my amp pointed at me, and NOT the vocal mics, our stage volume plummeted, and the soundguys got happier :)

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Also, don't complain about everything sounding shit on stage and automatically thinking it sounds rubbish in the venue. Stage sound and venue sound are wildly different. Sometimes both are amazing, sometimes both suck, most of the time it's a mix between the two. Deal with it.

Also, never ever blame the sound guy for the stage sound. It's got very little to do with him.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
stage volume is a biggie. it's also nice to be able to hear your bass player from the other side of the stage when he yells, "HEY LEON, WHAT KEY IS THIS IN AGAIN?"

We used to have our set up in stereo, my cab on top of the bass players, one stack on each side of the drummer, dropped our stage volume in half, improved our FOH mixes, made it easier for each of us to hear ourselves on stage, and it just looked cool.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
i'm afraid i have to stick my neck on the line and say:

"i'd like to dedicate this next song to the memory of dimebag..."

i've just grown tired of it.

H

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
i'm afraid i have to stick my neck on the line and say:

"i'd like to dedicate this next song to the memory of dimebag..."

i've just grown tired of it.

H

this can still be acceptable if you replace song with set and then proceed to administer the whole CFH album :agreed:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
this can still be acceptable if you replace song with set and then proceed to administer the whole CFH album :agreed:

absolutely agreed, but i find it's just getting a bit like metal's version of 2-pac. for me, there are people who have died more recently of far greater note, and that's within the same genre.

H

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
oh i just thought of one, dont get so drunk you act like a nob on stage and brak a bunch of the venues equipment as it kinda hinders the band from ever getting a gig in that particular area ever again :squint:

absolutely agreed, but i find it's just getting a bit like metal's version of 2-pac. for me, there are people who have died more recently of far greater note, and that's within the same genre.

H

i know what you mean man, it's like people use it as a way to get the crowd into them, "oh shit, i think we're losing them! best throw dimebags name in to wake 'em up"

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
often when i play, i think of an old buddy of mine, whom i started playing guitar with when we were 13. when i'm playing at home, i'll play a few select tracks for him.

i don't think i'd ever do the, "this one's for you," thing live, though. it's a personal thing for me, and that's all i need.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
When you're done your set, gather up your gear and clear the stage. Hell, I'll help if you need it. Just DON'T get off the stage and start high fiving your friends in the crowd and socializing while you're tearing into someone else's set time.