The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
would you say the difference in sound to a JP7 with basswood body, regular maple neck and rosewood fingerboard is big or is it barely noticeable?

Noticeable for sure but not jarring.

The difference between say a JPXI7 and a JP 13 - 7 would be huge. You're swapping body woods and pickups and circuitry and whatever else.

In this case you're keeping all of the electronics the same and you still have the same tone block so a lot of the vibrations will be similar.

As far as I would guess I think you can expect a bit more brightness, tightness, and sustain from this configuration while sacrificing a bit of warmth and depth.

You will still have that signature JP sound- they all have that.

Take the others' advice over mine though- I'm not as experienced :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Right now I am considering buying a JP7 in the US some time, rather than buying it in Europe. The price difference is HUGE. Normally I am totally OK with paying more, but a JP7 here will sell for around 2500-3000EUR (depending on the features) which translates to about 3400-4100 USD. That is a bit much IMO. :nono:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Good stuff dude, fair warning though. You might not be playing the Sterlings much after you get that in :lol:

I'm playing the PDN JP6 right now, and I seriously love it.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Good stuff dude, fair warning though. You might not be playing the Sterlings much after you get that in :lol:

I'm playing the PDN JP6 right now, and I seriously love it.

Yeah, I do expect that I won't touch the Sterlings much...
Not ever having played a MusicMan yet, I do have to say, I love those Sterlings, they play very nicely, before I got them I was playing only Ibbys, but since I got the JP70s, I barely ever touched my Ibby's again ... and now I'm in for a completely new experience with the JP7 I bet.....
Can't wait....

The problem I have with very nice and expensive guitars is that I am scared to scratch and ding them up, that's why my J-customs are in their cases most of the time (got them out earlier this week and was amazed how nice they are).....this is OCD of some sort, I guess....these guitars are made for playing, NOT for resting in their cases.....I'm working on getting better with this.....

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
You'll get over it once you get the first ding, of course don't let it happen :lol: but once it does, if you really dig the guitar it won't bother you.

Like I always say Playability > Tone > Aesthetics. Because if you don't love the first two reasons, once it gets dinged and damaged, you won't really want it.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I keep my guitars in their cases to keep the dust off them and the strings nice (as well as to protect them from temperature changes throughout the day(s). Since I don't plan on selling any of my guitars, I'm actually somewhat looking forward to the dings. My Fender Kingman acoustic/electric fell off my barracks bunk a few years ago and nearly split the top away from the body on the bass side by where your right arm rests - still one of my favorite guitars (by that I mean I have no plans on upgrading my acoustic any time soon).

Anyway, I do kind of wish I could keep a guitar out on a stand and plugged in; one of the things that prevents me from playing even MORE often than I already do is all the hassle with pulling the case from the hoard, finding a place to open it, [playing], using fast fret to clean strings, then putting it away again. It would be so nice to just turn on the amp and pick up the guitar and jam out.

I guess ya gotta compromise, right? I'd only feel comfortable leaving a beater out 24/7 but a beater is not a guitar I'd wanna play at the drop of a hat. First world problems...

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have most of my guitars in their cases, too, but always like about 2 or 3 out on stands. Those are the ones I play most t that given moment.
Right now that's my three JP70s and one Ibanez Premium....
Soon there's gonna be a 'real' MusicMan on one of these guitar stand....can't wait :)

Santuzzo

Reaction score
EBMM JP6 PDN Honey Roasted (Final Pics) - a set on Flickr

I own that beast in a 6, the thing is perfect. :cool:

I'm so glad I found it too, I was going to order one when they did the PDN run back in 2012, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Found an owner and swapped my other JP for it. Haven't looked back since :agreed:

I got one question about your JP6 PDN Honey Roasted:

how is the wiring on this guitar? Do the humbuckers split in the middle position of the 3-way toggle switch?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
It's a 9 Volt, and they come with them installed from the factory. So unless your dealer kept it, which I doubt they did, you won't need to buy one.

Also, I just got the BFR 7 in. And it has some issues that need to be sorted, I'm not going to start listing them for everyone to see, especially since I'm still working with EBMM to see what we can do about them. This is esentially why I dislike ordering guitar to be made and customs, because if you get it and it's disappointing, you feel gutted. And I kind of do.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
It's a 9 Volt, and they come with them installed from the factory. So unless your dealer kept it, which I doubt they did, you won't need to buy one.

Also, I just got the BFR 7 in. And it has some issues that need to be sorted, I'm not going to start listing them for everyone to see, especially since I'm still working with EBMM to see what we can do about them. This is esentially why I dislike ordering guitar to be made and customs, because if you get it and it's disappointing, you feel gutted. And I kind of do.

Thanks man!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your new BFR. I hope EBMM can sort this out for you!

Latest posts