The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
Here's an eye test for you. If you leave your glasses on you should see Albert Einstein below. If you take your glasses off you then should see Marilyn Monroe.:cool:

View attachment 71834

;>)/

And if you squint in contact lenses, it goes back to Monroe...

What size screen or what diagonal at what distance should be used to correctly administer this test?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atracksler

Reaction score
Do I buy a used Carvin 8 string, or build the 8 string I want. The Carvin is instant gratification, but building one would be fun.

cult

Reaction score
I decided to do a GRUME (gentlemanly restraint until month's end) on shaving shit; idea being that you get to work with a few things and get to know them really well while not spending money on shit.

Problem being that I have like 15 fucking razors and over 50 soap/AS splash sets, plus like 40 different bottles of decently expensive cologne. I don't see how this is going to help me, other than that I'm not buying more shit...

Acting like a gentleman is hard....

Ha, another wet shaving enthusiast! My wife already calls me crazy for trying out a variety of blades ;)
I'm currently using the Speick Active Soap and it's good, not great. Another first world problem: actually emptying a shaving soap.
Next on is gonna be a soap from Klar.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I have been using the same shaving soap for like at least 3 or 4 years now, and I'm not even 1/4 way through it. I'm pretty sure they are like one of those things you only have to buy 2 or 3 times in your life, like a car.

atracksler

Reaction score
My favorite is Trumpers Lavender, shaves the best, but you kind of smell like a grandma..

cult

Reaction score
Shaving soap? Does it do anything special? I just wet my face and shave with a plastic disposable razor.

I have very coarse facial hair. It somewhat softens the stubble and by preparing the lather on your face it also lifts the hair away from your skin, allowing for a closer shave. Of course you'll need a brush for that.

There are days though when I envy guys like you. It's quicker if your skin is tolerant for it. On the other hand, using nice equipment (soap, afther shave, double edge razor, badger brush) is making shaving less of a chore but rather something pleasant and relaxing. 15 minutes for yourself, great smells, awesome feeling.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Ha, another wet shaving enthusiast! My wife already calls me crazy for trying out a variety of blades ;)
I'm currently using the Speick Active Soap and it's good, not great. Another first world problem: actually emptying a shaving soap.
Next on is gonna be a soap from Klar.

Dude I’m a nutbag for this stuff and my wife thinks I’m crazy too. I went from using an electric trimmer 1-2 times a week to what I’ve got now inside of 6 months and get pissy if I can’t shave every day.

What are you using? Favorites right now are a Timeless .95 and an Ikon SBS, and I think for soaps it’s a toss up between Barrister and Mann, WSP and Martin de Candre...

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Electric razor on any deployment and some travel. (deployment= what do I absolutely not need to use the shit/shower shack for?) I went back to the blade full time otherwise.
having to shave every day is exactly why I switched to an electric razor. I hate shaving so much that I've joked about getting a shaving profile.