The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
My shaving history that I never thought I'd reveal to anyone but here I am...

My grandpa gave me a Norelco electric razor when I was maybe 12-13. My mom "caught" me using it ( on my face... normal stuff) and grounded me. WTF? Maybe she didn't like me heading towards manhood... I dunno. Anyway... I used it thru my teen years but when I got into college I switched to disposables and shaving cream. Being that there were also a lot of girls and parties in college, the shaving cream didn't last long. Switched to soap... lather/ shave/ done. To this day I still use cheap razors and Dial bar-soap but unfortunately, after you slice off a mole or two.. you begin to reevaluate your choice in shaving products. I also get hella razor burn around my mouth and chin sometimes which is horrible. Anyway.. that's all. Just wanted to get this off my chest ( which I don't shave) as it might reduce my therapy expenses a bit... worth a shot. Hearing you guys talk of electrics and superior shaving systems... I just might have to get on board and save what's left of my battered face.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
My shaving history that I never thought I'd reveal to anyone but here I am...

My grandpa gave me a Norelco electric razor when I was maybe 12-13. My mom "caught" me using it ( on my face... normal stuff) and grounded me. WTF? Maybe she didn't like me heading towards manhood... I dunno. Anyway... I used it thru my teen years but when I got into college I switched to disposables and shaving cream. Being that there were also a lot of girls and parties in college, the shaving cream didn't last long. Switched to soap... lather/ shave/ done. To this day I still use cheap razors and Dial bar-soap but unfortunately, after you slice off a mole or two.. you begin to reevaluate your choice in shaving products. I also get hella razor burn around my mouth and chin sometimes which is horrible. Anyway.. that's all. Just wanted to get this off my chest ( which I don't shave) as it might reduce my therapy expenses a bit... worth a shot. Hearing you guys talk of electrics and superior shaving systems... I just might have to get on board and save what's left of my battered face.

World of difference using a quality razor, brush and soap that’s actually good for your skin, man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cult

Reaction score
What are you using? Favorites right now are a Timeless .95 and an Ikon SBS, and I think for soaps it’s a toss up between Barrister and Mann, WSP and Martin de Candre...

That's a neat setup! I really need to get one in stainless steel...

For the Hardware I'm all about consistency as of now. Just one razor (Merkur 23C) and I've tried blades until I landed on the Astra or a Feather, depending on how close I actually want my shave to be. For the everyday use it's the Astra.

My favourite soap has to be Haslinger of varying scent (dirt cheap over here, made in Austria at just ~ 5€ per 60 grams), followed by the Klar Klassik which is about 5 times the price with a just slightly better performance but made by hand in a small to medium size factory nearby. I love Klar's AS which they even label "Rasierwasser" (the German term for it), honoring their tradition in making soaps by hand. I once was gifted their shaving set, which just has the loveliest rustic packaging. And yes, it's a Mühle silver tip brush:
41UXjtph8qL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I mostly vary the after shave or the pre shave oil I use (between L'occitane and Somersets). Currently I'm all about the cooling, mentholy stuff for summer. Do you know the green Proraso AS Splash? It's amazing for when you wanna use a cologne of a different smell since it has a great performance, an amazing smell which will spoil you but won't last for more than an hour.

World of difference using a quality razor, brush and soap that’s actually good for your skin, man.

I can vouch for that. My skin has been problematic with wet shaving to say the least, now it's great. Also, you'll save money in the long run if you don't start collecting and hoarding stuff.

I think I'm going to step up soon. I constantly have stubble too and my wife is getting tired of loosing skin when we snuggle lol.

Your wife will love the smoothness and the smells but she'll hate your guts for taking the time if you don't rush it ;)

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Been looking at the Weishi Nostalgic, Parker 99R, and several Merkur's... Classic, Futur MK 23c, and Adjustable double edge. I normally shave in the shower and I like to go as quickly as possible but sounds like it might be worth it to try something better and slow down. Considering the potential benefits, I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind me taking a bit longer in the bathroom.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't over complicate it.

Get a razor with a handle long (or short) enough so it's easy to hold at the proper angle.

Get blades only when you need them.

Use products that work best with your skin type.

If I had to recommend anything, it would be the shave kit from Mario Badescu. I've used all kinds of stuff, and I haven't found better. My one critique is the shaving cream is nothing special, and you'll go through it rather quickly, but thanks to the pre-shave lotion, you can sub in just about anything.

cult

Reaction score
Been looking at the Weishi Nostalgic, Parker 99R, and several Merkur's... Classic, Futur MK 23c, and Adjustable double edge. I normally shave in the shower and I like to go as quickly as possible but sounds like it might be worth it to try something better and slow down. Considering the potential benefits, I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind me taking a bit longer in the bathroom.

For starting with wet shaving, either of those is gonna be fine. It's about details and what tickles your fancy.
For me always gonna be a Merkur, Mühle or Giesen Forsthoff. Maybe you can go for a local producer as well.
You can either spend around 50 bucks and get a decent kit for a starter but you will feel the need to upgrade stuff in the long run or spend around 150 bucks and get something really nice (silver tip badger brush, stainless steel razor) in case you are sure you'll stick to it.

In the US there should be enough sellers who will offer trial or travel sizes of their products so you won't have five pieces of soap you'll never use.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I just use a Braun shaving machine that I got as a birthday present 15 years ago :lol: It's got this automatic cleaning and charging dock thing which is pretty nice, it feels like brand new every time after cleaning. The only problem is that the locking mechanism on it broke about 10 years ago, so I just removed the spring and now sometimes it stops cleaning or charging if it happens to move too much. It's a pretty decent machine, but I've been considering getting a new one for the last 10 years :lol: I have to use it daily too, because my mustache grows fast af. I guess that's a proper first world problem too - it grows so fast, I have to shave twice a day or my wife will complain that I'm too spiky when I kiss her :wallbash:

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I haven't properly shaved in ages, I just try and keep my beard neat.

Unfortunately where I'm right handed, I've managed to take off more hair on one side of my neck under my chin than the other. It's not noticeable to anyone else unless I look straight up but it's bugging the hell out of me.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I appreciate the input! I'm undecided between an electric or a traditional razor but I'm absolutely sure that I want to get away from the disposable/ soap routine. I certainly won't throw down a ton of cash on anything until I've tried some less expensive alternatives but at least for now, a half-decent starter kit would likely help to steer me in the right direction.

And oh yeah... here's my 1st world "problem" for today:

For the first time since my wife and I entered into a pending contract on the home that I've spoken of here on SSO, I'm now feeling some degree of anxiety. I was absolutely unfazed throughout all of this ( maybe due to all of the distractions... appointments, paperwork, hurdles, forging ahead, etc) but now... as I'm staring down the barrel of a 30 yr mortgage, it's all sinking in. I understand and appreciate opinions to not overthink things but I'm now only a matter of hours away from the most significant thing that I've ever done in my entire life. Sorry to say, but that's just something that is all of a sudden somewhat difficult to digest. I'm not allowing myself to get overwhelmed with all of the variables and "what-if's?" but it's all just a bit surreal right now... keeping me up at night and giving me butterflies. I'm pretty damned good at taking things one step at a time as I've already been doing but things are REALLY going to kick into high-gear if we're given the green-light today. There's just so damned much involved with purchasing a home and as much as I've been taking it all in stride... there's a part of me that's just plain scared right now. Oh and did I mention that our daytime temps are running over 100 degrees/ 38 Celsius? NOT helping lol! Anyway... I can't share this stuff with my wife as I'm her "rock" but I sure do appreciate being able to spew it all out here on SSO.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I appreciate the input! I'm undecided between an electric or a traditional razor but I'm absolutely sure that I want to get away from the disposable/ soap routine. I certainly won't throw down a ton of cash on anything until I've tried some less expensive alternatives but at least for now, a half-decent starter kit would likely help to steer me in the right direction.

And oh yeah... here's my 1st world "problem" for today:

For the first time since my wife and I entered into a pending contract on the home that I've spoken of here on SSO, I'm now feeling some degree of anxiety. I was absolutely unfazed throughout all of this ( maybe due to all of the distractions... appointments, paperwork, hurdles, forging ahead, etc) but now... as I'm staring down the barrel of a 30 yr mortgage, it's all sinking in. I understand and appreciate opinions to not overthink things but I'm now only a matter of hours away from the most significant thing that I've ever done in my entire life. Sorry to say, but that's just something that is all of a sudden somewhat difficult to digest. I'm not allowing myself to get overwhelmed with all of the variables and "what-if's?" but it's all just a bit surreal right now... keeping me up at night and giving me butterflies. I'm pretty damned good at taking things one step at a time as I've already been doing but things are REALLY going to kick into high-gear if we're given the green-light today. There's just so damned much involved with purchasing a home and as much as I've been taking it all in stride... there's a part of me that's just plain scared right now. Oh and did I mention that our daytime temps are running over 100 degrees/ 38 Celsius? NOT helping lol! Anyway... I can't share this stuff with my wife as I'm her "rock" but I sure do appreciate being able to spew it all out here on SSO.

I was in your position last year and my advice is this.

Don't let the "what-if?s" negatively influence your decision. It is a massive step for sure but an exciting one and hopefully one that leads to a big bright future for you both.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm staring down the barrel of a 30 yr mortgage, it's all sinking in.

It takes a while to get used to, but ultimately it's basically like putting money in the bank compared to paying rent. That's the thought that got me past being scared. Being given the green light was also surprisingly anti-climactic, to be honest - after that it was just like moving into any apartment, and we also had to wait a couple of months before we got to move in, so it felt like nothing actually happened :lol: I was mostly worried about the paperwork, because like you said, it felt very surreal, and I was almost expecting some check to fail so we wouldn't be able to get the mortgage or something. But somehow everything went fine. So just hang in there!

atracksler

Reaction score
It takes a while to get used to, but ultimately it's basically like putting money in the bank compared to paying rent. That's the thought that got me past being scared. Being given the green light was also surprisingly anti-climactic, to be honest - after that it was just like moving into any apartment, and we also had to wait a couple of months before we got to move in, so it felt like nothing actually happened :lol: I was mostly worried about the paperwork, because like you said, it felt very surreal, and I was almost expecting some check to fail so we wouldn't be able to get the mortgage or something. But somehow everything went fine. So just hang in there!

You'll stay up all night for the first few months wondering how the hell will you pay the mortgage. Then a couple of years later you'll hear how much rent is and you'll laugh yourself to sleep. I almost had an ulcer over my sub $1000 mortgage payment 20 years ago.... now I'd have a hard time renting a room in a boarding house for that

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
to anyone looking for a solid electric razor, I have a phillips/norelco triple head wet/dry razor that works really well. I have quite coarse and tough facial hair, and it cuts it with ease. No nicks, no razor burn, no bullshit. Plus it's stupidly easy to clean.
Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 6800, S6880/81, Series 6000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NR8SGV8/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Ugh, at the rate I'm breaking high e-strings on my Squier I'll soon have to start a thread about third world problems because that's where I'll end.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I have to take a half day from my real job to do my 2nd/hobby 'job'...which is pour beer at craft beer fests for my local brewery. :lol: :cheers:

This weekend is Rochester, NY.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
I am so, so tired of radicalized outsourcing of independent thought that has infected the modern world. It is fine to identify as leaning a certain way on a topic in the bounds of rationality, like being Conservative/Liberal etc. But to define yourself as a polarized entity and partake in dogmatic rhetoric instead of rational independent thought we, as a society, suffer.

And to make it worse, its exacerbated by the media business entities for profit. How do we get trapped in tribal barbarity for cynical capitalist exploitation?

I do not blame capitalism by they way, I blame the people who get swept up in it.