The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Hate to complain about heat since it's such a rare treat here in Finland but when I got to our summer cottage a few hours ago, it was 88F inside so I opened the windows but that was a mistake since now it's 90F inside and the outside temperature won't go lower than 71F tonight. :ugh:

@MetalDestroyer I feel ya. But isn't it just the best feeling in the world when you figure out some computer related issue, no matter how small or big? At least for me it is. :lol:
Well if it makes you feel any better, it's supposed to be 111F here next week... :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Well if it makes you feel any better, it's supposed to be 111F here next week... :lol:

I'm not sure what it got up to today, but I work on tanker trailers, you know these reflective bastards
Fuel-Trailers-Polar-9300-Gallon-31640739-2088471115.jpg

So I'm getting cooked from behind by the sun, and cooked from the front by the reflection...pretty sure that's what getting cremated feels like. I didn't realize it was possible to drink damn near a gallon of water ever 1~2 hours and still wind up kinda dehydrated.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it got up to today, but I work on tanker trailers, you know these reflective bastards
View attachment 145853

So I'm getting cooked from behind by the sun, and cooked from the front by the reflection...pretty sure that's what getting cremated feels like. I didn't realize it was possible to drink damn near a gallon of water ever 1~2 hours and still wind up kinda dehydrated.
I used to work as a lifeguard in high school and college. In Oklahoma where I lived back then it gets up to around 110 with high humidity for about a week every year, and a good portion of the summer is above 90. Sometimes there are ozone warnings when it gets hot enough that the air becomes toxic. Anyway I remember one day I decided to keep track of how much water I drank and it ended up being 6 32oz bottles in one afternoon where I didn't pee a single time. Crazy how much water you can go through on a hot day.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
My FWP is that I want to offload a guitar but if I do I'll not only take a massive loss on it, but I'll have to deal with 1099k garbage at tax time next year

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I used to work as a lifeguard in high school and college. In Oklahoma where I lived back then it gets up to around 110 with high humidity for about a week every year, and a good portion of the summer is above 90. Sometimes there are ozone warnings when it gets hot enough that the air becomes toxic. Anyway I remember one day I decided to keep track of how much water I drank and it ended up being 6 32oz bottles in one afternoon where I didn't pee a single time. Crazy how much water you can go through on a hot day.

Ya, that's about as much water as I drink by like 9-10'oclock in the morning. On one hand, I'm trying to lose weight, drink more water than Cokes, eat better, etc, but do you know how fucking sick I am of water after drinking like 5-6 gallons a day? On the flip side...I found a way to lose about 5 pounds a week.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
My FWP is that I want to offload a guitar but if I do I'll not only take a massive loss on it, but I'll have to deal with 1099k garbage at tax time next year
You should not have to report it as income if you take a loss on it, right? My understanding is that only the profit from such sales counts as income. That's what the Reverb site led me to believe, at least...

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
You should not have to report it as income if you take a loss on it, right? My understanding is that only the profit from such sales counts as income. That's what the Reverb site led me to believe, at least...
Above 5k this year and 600 next year they will report it to the government as income and send you a 1099k. You then have to do an annoying series of claims and negative claims on 2 different tax forms to not be taxed on it. Scroll down to "personal items sold at a loss" on this page: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/what-to-do-with-form-1099-k

The extra fun part is that you can't deduct any losses, but gains are taxed lol amazing

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
View attachment 145853

That sounds absolutely brutal. What do I have to compare to get a feel for it...

Worse than roofing with black shingles in direct sun on a 110 degree day?

Worse than doing mold remediation in an attic in a full Tyvek suit and face mask on a 105 degree day? I must have wrung a gallon of sweat out of my shirt on my breaks that day :lol:

IDK, sounds like you're basically getting hit by 2 suns at once. Maybe that's the worst, you tell me!

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Above 5k this year and 600 next year they will report it to the government as income and send you a 1099k. You then have to do an annoying series of claims and negative claims on 2 different tax forms to not be taxed on it. Scroll down to "personal items sold at a loss" on this page: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/what-to-do-with-form-1099-k
Ugh. I've got probably 3-4k of gear I need to sell. Guess I should try to get rid of it before that threshold goes down...

The extra fun part is that you can't deduct any losses, but gains are taxed lol amazing
Classic. :lol:

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
That sounds absolutely brutal. What do I have to compare to get a feel for it...

Worse than roofing with black shingles in direct sun on a 110 degree day?

Worse than doing mold remediation in an attic in a full Tyvek suit and face mask on a 105 degree day? I must have wrung a gallon of sweat out of my shirt on my breaks that day :lol:

IDK, sounds like you're basically getting hit by 2 suns at once. Maybe that's the worst, you tell me!

Out of all the shit I've done...It's a second behind shingles.

I've also gotten mold out of an attic, not gonna elaborate on that one, just gonna say there's a reason I wasn't worried about covid.

EDIT: And I'm not saying my jobs hotter than any shit like that, it's just usually complaining about how hot it is, it's people who work in offices or whatever...or like my wife who's a stay at home mom that complains about it's to hot outside to go and do anything...
stares-in-texan.jpg

Last edited:

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Guessing you weren't made to wear the OSHA-required PPE like I was. :lol:

I wasn't aware of what OSHA was until probably 10 years after this happened. I also may or may not have started working a lot younger than is legal. That shit sucked when I was 12 doing it in shorts and a tank top, and it sucks even more 20 years later now that I have to wear FRs for some fucking reason.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Also, this 18 wheeler trailer job is just an in between jobs job to keep the bills paid until I can get another millwright job...but I have to say, for being a comedy skit this is about the most fucking accurate depiction of millwright work I've ever seen.

Also, as someone who barely understands DnD, but has played Baldur's Gate 3, I have hit a pump with a sledgehammer as hard as I could and got it lined up within a hundred thousandth of an inch, which is what I believe they refer to as rolling a nat 20.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
My raspberry bushes are going insane and taking over my whole back lot line. Yay more raspberries but they're starting to choke out the day lilies and other crap I threw back there. Probably going to have to cull some of them later this year.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

Do ya think they'll put that extra tax revenue into nationalised healthcare or education?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Cellular Telephone upgrade time-
Mean time to auto-replace feature failure
Mean time on phone call to carrier to get number transferred to new phone
Mean attempts by carrier rep to get me to say yes to adding a new line to my account.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
My mother in law destroyed my coffee maker while taking care of the kids :wallbash:

I always keep it on the stove because my wife doesn't like the smell of coffee (I know, I don't understand how it's possible not to like it either), so when it's there it's easy to turn the stove fan on and it sucks the smell out trough the chimney. So then mother in law was making instamash for the kids and must've somehow turned the wrong plate on.

Spent all morning scrubbing burnt plastic off of the stovetop and then I gotta go and buy a new coffee maker later... Luckily it's not the most expensive appliance in the world and I wanted a new one anyway (there's a new model where the water tank comes off so it's easy to fill from the tap), but I wasn't planning on buying one right now... Also I wanted coffee NOW and not later.