The Fishman Fluence Thread

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
@SnowfaLL Honestly, the Keith Merrow set sounds fairly close the the classic set to me. The classics are very bright, but I wouldn't call them harsh, they stop short of that. Based on the audio files that @LeviathanKiller linked earlier, it sounds the same. To my ears, it's just very bright. I have usually gravitated towards bright pickups - I find you can almost always dial it out at the amp, whereas it's harder to make a dark pickup much brighter.

Based on what you said about wanting a smooth neck pickup, I think the Tosin set might actually be better for you. It feels smoother to me on the neck compared to the moderns (I own both - actually, I own like 5 different sets of these, which is why I comment a lot on these threads). In my opinion, the moderns have a little bit of an edge for staccato rifffing (a little more grind), bu the Tosins feel more even to me, and I like them better for leads - they feel thicker. Both are heavy on the low mids. Just the Tosin set has a little more lower mids, and a little bit less of an upper mid spike. Both still have a lot of highs.

Unfortunately the Tosin 7 set doesnt come in passive housing size for my Aristides... think I'm boned on that one. I might give the classics a try again (or maybe the HSS set for my strat, which right now has EMG 85/S/S that i'm iffy on) but hmm.. Maybe in time more sets with different EQ curves will come out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Tosin 7 set doesnt come in passive housing size for my Aristides... think I'm boned on that one. I might give the classics a try again (or maybe the HSS set for my strat, which right now has EMG 85/S/S that i'm iffy on) but hmm.. Maybe in time more sets with different EQ curves will come out.

Yeah, they really need to go and make the previous sets available in the open coil formats.
That's why I'm going to have to buy another guitar to try the Moderns instead of just purchasing a set and swapping.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I also wonder about the single coils, anyone try them?? If I could get an EMG SA or SSL-5 type sound from the neck single, I'd probably give it another try (the modern bridge worked well enough for me.. it was the neck that really let me down, and I play mostly on my neck for every non-metal)

Strobe

Reaction score
I also wonder about the single coils, anyone try them?? If I could get an EMG SA or SSL-5 type sound from the neck single, I'd probably give it another try (the modern bridge worked well enough for me.. it was the neck that really let me down, and I play mostly on my neck for every non-metal)

I own both sets. Strat set does not really sound like actives. Voice 1 is kind of like fat 50's set that used to come on Fender American standard. Voice 2 is a dead ringer for Texas specials. Both have a little bit more sparkly top end than most strat pickups. Very good overall. Most videos do not do them justice. Tele set I am less impressed with but still quite good. Voice 1 and 2 could be more different in my opinion. The videos on YouTube are actually a pretty good representation for the tell set, unlike the strat set.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks man!
Yeah, it seems the Moderns are more balanced than my KM set. Not as harsh in the high end and they have more/better bottom end.

I made DIs kinda similar to yours. I used the same tuning on my top 3 strings for the bridge DIs.
I took the liberty of renaming your files the same way I named mine so people can load them up in a player side-by-side and know which is which. I also re-uploaded them to MediaFire along with mine because I try to never delete anything there that I share on SS.org. I put a read me in your zip and mine as well giving credit and indicating the guitars, their specs, tuning, and recording method as well.

Fishman Fluence Keith Merrow 7 set DI tracks
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vheq39yc8w3rh2n/Fishman_Keith_Merrow_7_DI_tracks.zip

Fishman Fluence Modern 7 set DI tracks (courtesy of Albake21)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ms1qs0h1yxi6mp/Fishman_Modern_7_DI_tracks.zip

Note: For anyone find themselves here via search, if these links don't work, feel free to message me and I can get them to you.
No problem at all, glad to help!

patdavidmusic

Reaction score
Any users of the new open core classics or the keith merrow set,
Just a quick question,

Does either set when in single coil mode use in outside coils?
-i know you can set it to either, but just wondering if the offical voiced single coil is the inner or outer on the set-

Thanks lads \m/

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Any users of the new open core classics or the keith merrow set,
Just a quick question,

Does either set when in single coil mode use in outside coils?
-i know you can set it to either, but just wondering if the offical voiced single coil is the inner or outer on the set-

Thanks lads \m/

I think I'm one of the few people that have the KM set right now. Unfortunately, I don't know because I don't have a toggle switch for voicing 3 yet.
I would send a message directly to Fishman if I were you though regardless of what anyone says on here.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Anyone here using the Fluence Moderns (the regular moderns) with the coil splits? I'm debating on adding them to my Modern-loaded V.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not yet, but I do plan on adding a three way mini toggle eventually to switch between all three voices.

Exactly what I plan on doing. :lol: just bought a set of 3-way mini toggles to try it out. I'd imagine they're not as true single-coil sounding as the Abasi, KsE, or Open Core pickups, but I'm betting they'll sound good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That's what I thought. I bought the guitar that came with them knowing that so no disappointment there but yeah, why don't they?

I did some snooping and none of the ERG ones have them. That's pretty shitty.

I mean it's not much of a problem since I got the 6 string set, but I possibly planned on getting the 7-string set, so it's a bummer.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I did some snooping and none of the ERG ones have them. That's pretty shitty.

I mean it's not much of a problem since I got the 6 string set, but I possibly planned on getting the 7-string set, so it's a bummer.

Guess that's what the Tosin, Keith Merrow, and Open Core Classic sets are for haha

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
They said that they WILL update the older models to accomodate the coil split feature as well. Give them some time :yesway:

Meanwhile, I just want to put passives in all my guitars :lol:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
They said that they WILL update the older models to accomodate the coil split feature as well. Give them some time :yesway:

Meanwhile, I just want to put passives in all my guitars :lol:

Doesn't matter unless they call me up and say they want to update the sets in my guitars for me. :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that's kinda what you get with company that sells guitar pickups that get upgraded regularly like a videogame. It's cool they care to improve, but it sucks for previous owners :yesway:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Wow I never noticed the 7 string Moderns didn't have a Voice 3! Well I'm glad I never drilled into my new Mayones with a mini toggle only to not be able to use it.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
That sucks. I was looking to buy a soapbar Modern 7 for my COW 7, hoping i can get nice single coil clean tones out of my one trick axe. Oh well.