The Fishman Fluence Thread

angl2k

Reaction score
But yeah, I wouldn't use the Fluence Classics if your tone is already trebly like this. It's probably one of the brightest pickups I've ever used. I had to take it out of a bolt-on maple-necked guitar because it was getting too harsh and clanky.

I second that, the classics are really bright, even with the HF tilt option engaged. Not a pickup you can just throw in every guitar.

lewis

Reaction score
ok so Fishman came through for me and a new pack of Fluence Jumpers arrived (lost my originals)

so now I can finally use Voice 2 on my moderns. These are just the clips NO cables coming out of them. Is it as simple as take one of these & plug it onto the "voice 2" prongs on each pickup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strobe

Reaction score
ok so Fishman came through for me and a new pack of Fluence Jumpers arrived (lost my originals)

so now I can finally use Voice 2 on my moderns. These are just the clips NO cables coming out of them. Is it as simple as take one of these & plug it onto the "voice 2" prongs on each pickup?

Yup. That simple.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Anybody else feeling a bit annoyed by the mid frequencies in the Modern Ceramic?

Has that "wah" sound with some mid range characteristic which can't be easily dialled out

I do like how they feel to play, but the EMG81 didn't have that annoying prominent sound

Metropolis

Reaction score
jesus he dialed in all the treble. every pickup sounds super clanky and djenty. I did like the low end thump of the 57 and classics though.

Jari's tone preference is to get everything sound like a scooped Mesa Boogie TriAxis or Mark IV/V with bumped up highs around 2200 and 6600hz :D

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Jari's tone preference is to get everything sound like a scooped Mesa Boogie TriAxis or Mark IV/V with bumped up highs around 2200 and 6600hz :D
man when i run my modern set into my mk3 it's not that trebly, and i tend to run the treble near max. then again i cut a lot of the 6000hz range since it adds fizz

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Anybody else feeling a bit annoyed by the mid frequencies in the Modern Ceramic?

Has that "wah" sound with some mid range characteristic which can't be easily dialled out

I do like how they feel to play, but the EMG81 didn't have that annoying prominent sound
Jari was pretty accurate with the midrange space of the Moderns. They can be super boxy at times.

I remember when I had my Epi Explorer loaded with EMGs. The The KsEs definitely had a super broad, boxy midrange space that DID make things sound tighter, but also kinda nasally at times. Vs the 81 which had most of it's focus in the center-high mids and more lows so palm mutes had a very satisfying chunk.

Strobe

Reaction score

Yes and no. A lot of classic pickups have that. The JB has it. Juggernauts have it. It's great for leads and cuts well. It's maybe a little weird in isolation. I think it generally works well in a mix.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Yeah, in some amps like a Recto or a 5150Mk1. I just scoop the mids a bit and it cleans up around that boxy region. With my 5150II it doesn't have that problem.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I can't decide if I like the Keith Merrow set better in my Schecter KM-7 MK-II or MK-III and on top of that I can't decide if I should choose neither and move on OR neither, but put them in my Aristides that has the Modern set currently. So many possible options...

They're bassier but cleaner in the MK-II
They're grittier and a bit meaner in the MK-III
The Aristides has the rechargeable battery pack

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I can't decide if I like the Keith Merrow set better in my Schecter KM-7 MK-II or MK-III and on top of that I can't decide if I should choose neither and move on OR neither, but put them in my Aristides that has the Modern set currently. So many possible options...

They're bassier but cleaner in the MK-II
They're grittier and a bit meaner in the MK-III
The Aristides has the rechargeable battery pack

Update:
I decided that they just aren't that special in the MK-II so I pulled the bridge out and put it in the Aristides.
The Keith Merrow bridge sucks in the Aristides. Seems like that guitar is brighter/midsy-er than the MK-III so the KM set in the Aristides had absolutely no balls really when compared to the MK-III.
The Keith Merrow set is staying in the MK-III only (if I decide to keep it at all after getting my incoming pickup order). I think I'd rather have the single coil voice switch over the battery pack anyway.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Just got a MK-II with the Fishman's and I'm liking them a lot. Now, I have my eyes set on a MK-I but looking to replace the Duncans with another Merrow set. Anybody know if the Merrow set is a drop-in replacement for the covered Duncan set?

lewis

Reaction score
anyone know if Fishman might finally start selling their rechargeable input jacks?
Because they come across like a bunch of Kochs for not doing so up to this point.....

Strobe

Reaction score
anyone know if Fishman might finally start selling their rechargeable input jacks?
Because they come across like a bunch of Kochs for not doing so up to this point.....

On the Greg Koch set, the input jack has the spot for the charger to plug into built in. The battery is actually built into the tele control plate. It's not in the jack. It hangs down in an enclosure that also has the 3 way switching and push push button electronics in it.

This works because Teles are super common and have a rout that fits this. Guitars in general have different kinds of input jacks (screw in plugs on many, barrel plugs on Ibanez). They could probably make several types of jacks with the charge port built in, by you would still need to have the battery go some place near the jack. The universal charger they make is definitely more universal - but requires one to drill a hole in the plastic cavity cover - it's more labor intensive, but not hard. The biggest barrier to putting these chargers in a lot of guitars is finding a place to fit the battery pack.

lewis

Reaction score
On the Greg Koch set, the input jack has the spot for the charger to plug into built in. The battery is actually built into the tele control plate. It's not in the jack. It hangs down in an enclosure that also has the 3 way switching and push push button electronics in it.

This works because Teles are super common and have a rout that fits this. Guitars in general have different kinds of input jacks (screw in plugs on many, barrel plugs on Ibanez). They could probably make several types of jacks with the charge port built in, by you would still need to have the battery go some place near the jack. The universal charger they make is definitely more universal - but requires one to drill a hole in the plastic cavity cover - it's more labor intensive, but not hard. The biggest barrier to putting these chargers in a lot of guitars is finding a place to fit the battery pack.

How did they make it possible on the Keith Merrow signature Shecter's?

Strobe

Reaction score
How did they make it possible on the Keith Merrow signature Shecter's?

I have not opened one up, but I am sure it has a space for the battery pack under the hood. It's almost certainly not a part of the jack. I know about the Koch set because I own it.

icipher

Reaction score
I had the new Schecter KM7 MK III with his sig fluences and man, really did NOT like that sound. They were so stiff and scratchy, they did not breathe at all. I have bareknuckle Juggernatus in my Kiesel and they are so dynamic and alive sounding with a lot of breath and color in the distortion.

Are all fishman's like this? I ask because the merrow set did not seem like an upgrade over an EMG 81 which makes me ask, what's the point?