The Fishman Fluence Thread

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So people here that keep talking about the Adler's; what are the closest things both voicings are voiced similar to? I saw someone bring up that the passive voice is similar to the Duncan Custom?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
So people here that keep talking about the Adler's; what are the closest things both voicings are voiced similar to? I saw someone bring up that the passive voice is similar to the Duncan Custom?

to my ears, voice one gives me every frequency and the level of cut i want from a JB, while leaving behind the icepick qualities. Marry that with the picking response of an EMG 81 without the massive compression.

i rarely ever touch voice two, and usually only when i wanna tickle the treble strings but want a warmer tone without switching to the neck pickup.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had some neck time with a couple of guitars with Fishmans in them recently. My friend's Jackson has a set that sound great tuned down to C#. The pups in the 7-string Ibanez Axion also sound great.
I've never replaced pickups and realize it's a pretty easy job, so I'm considering getting a set, but not sure which ones.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anybody a direct comparison from the classics to the jb/'59 set?
I have the jb/59 in my M2 and need new pickups for my eclipse and found both sets in gold.

Maybe someone has any experience?

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just noticed that Dino has a set of Open Core Moderns in his Ormsby signature. I wonder if he's just checking them out live or that's a departure from Seymour Duncan for good?Снимок экрана 2024-06-23 в 07.17.36.png

juka

Reaction score
For what you're wanting try the 57TW, its the bridge pickup i used in the most recent build i did for a friend of mine here on the forum @Legion . im gonna tag him so he can attest that it can chug and do cleans. My personal active preference for chug and clean bridge was the 60X as a bridge pup, its brighter but i still absolutely loved it in the bridge. its been a while since i've tried the 60x but the 57/66 combo is pretty great all rounder for my tastes. The build i was referring to is in the lutherie section in the top pinned thread for Builds by SSO members.
Although I'm not Legion I can fully support that recommendation.
The 57/66 set is my all time EMG fav. Had it for years in all my guitars.
The only thing that finally drove me away from them, was their extreme inconsistency. Had like 6 or 7 sets in total and each one sounded noticeably different. Having way too many guitars at that time and too much free time I spent hours matching the right set to the right guitar for best results (thanks to Quick Connect).

juka

Reaction score
Has anybody a direct comparison from the classics to the jb/'59 set?
I have the jb/59 in my M2 and need new pickups for my eclipse and found both sets in gold.

Maybe someone has any experience?
The OpenCore Classics are my favs for years now, extremely versatile. Voice 2 is modeled after Frank Falco's own vintage JB, but look at how many threads you might find at that forum alone about which JB is the right sounding one...
Even if V2 sounded like your imagination of what a "proper JB" should sound like, there is still the differences in output, impedance and so on between the passive original and its active/powered counterpart.

juka

Reaction score
Drives me nuts that they'll rehash the Modern a million times, but not actually tell you what's different. I still have no idea what sets the RZK and the Townsends apart outside of one being available in red. The tech has so much potential and it's being really underutilized. Their most compelling products are the Classics (mmm bridge voice 2), the Devin Townsends for their versatility, and the Willie Adlers for their ch0nk. I dig the Tosins too but they still have that Modern quack and brightness, just less obnoxious thanks to actually having bass and low mids.

That aside, I just wish they had more colors available. If I could get the Devins in, like... white or at least nickel, they'd have more of my money.
+1 on the Classics
RZK: Getting the color right obviously took some time 🤣
DT: When they came out years ago I immediately bought them. Back then they sounded better than the Moderns to me although I could never point out why. What finally drove me away from them was the fact that although I liked how they sounded I always kept checking my tone pot if I not accidentally had turned it down while playing.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Just noticed that Dino has a set of Open Core Moderns in his Ormsby signature. I wonder if he's just checking them out live or that's a departure from Seymour Duncan for good?View attachment 145504
First they took all the EMG guys, now they're aiming at all the Duncan guys. :lol:

+1 on the Classics
RZK: Getting the color right obviously took some time 🤣
DT: When they came out years ago I immediately bought them. Back then they sounded better than the Moderns to me although I could never point out why. What finally drove me away from them was the fact that although I liked how they sounded I always kept checking my tone pot if I not accidentally had turned it down while playing.
I always found it weird how dark the Dev set was. Dude never came off having a really dark sound like that, yet the Devs sound like they have a blanket over them at times.

And yeah, Fishman's biggest failing is describing the differences between pickups. "X Artist's Ideal Tone" isn't the selling point you think it is. :lol:

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The OpenCore Classics are my favs for years now, extremely versatile. Voice 2 is modeled after Frank Falco's own vintage JB, but look at how many threads you might find at that forum alone about which JB is the right sounding one...
Even if V2 sounded like your imagination of what a "proper JB" should sound like, there is still the differences in output, impedance and so on between the passive original and its active/powered counterpart.
God dang it i just bought another jb/jazz set 😂
I am still intrigued about the classics

Dino's new Signature duncan never hit the streets right?
I tried it here in austria in one of his orsmby signatures.

juka

Reaction score
First they took all the EMG guys, now they're aiming at all the Duncan guys. :lol:

I always found it weird how dark the Dev set was. Dude never came off having a really dark sound like that, yet the Devs sound like they have a blanket over them at times.

And yeah, Fishman's biggest failing is describing the differences between pickups. "X Artist's Ideal Tone" isn't the selling point you think it is. :lol:
Considering that his Framus signature guitar is an all-maple construction, which are usually uber-bright sounding, pickups that are a little bit on the darker side might help to balance that out.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
God dang it i just bought another jb/jazz set 😂
I am still intrigued about the classics

Dino's new Signature duncan never hit the streets right?
I tried it here in austria in one of his orsmby signatures.
The Retributions yes. The Machete no. I think the reason there was because the Machete was a hybrid of the Retribution and Duality pickups and Duncan was having issues getting the parts for the Duality pickups. That or the Retribution pickups didn't sell enough to warrant a new set. They kinda screwed themselves by making it an exclusively ERG set of pickups.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Retributions yes. The Machete no. I think the reason there was because the Machete was a hybrid of the Retribution and Duality pickups and Duncan was having issues getting the parts for the Duality pickups. That or the Retribution pickups didn't sell enough to warrant a new set. They kinda screwed themselves by making it an exclusively ERG set of pickups.
Oh yeah the Duality pickups.
Went down the drain quietly.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
What would you guys say between fishman, blackouts and emg are the 5ish best chugmonster bridge pups? Which ones have the most sauce?

Fishman: Abasi 6, Adler
EMG: 57
Duncan: Retribution

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What would you guys say between fishman, blackouts and emg are the 5ish best chugmonster bridge pups? Which ones have the most sauce?

Fishman: Abasi 6, Adler
EMG: 57
Duncan: Retribution
Interesting about the Abasi 6. What makes it so chuggy? I've always heard that it's not as good for metal as the Modern is, but I don't have the experience to back that up.