The Happening

• Thread starter DevinShidaker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
:noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:

Sucked. Beyond belief. It started out kinda cool, but went to shit within 30 minutes. If Mr Shamawhatahoosey did the twilight zone or the Outer Limits, he would be awesome. This movie was incoherent and was just absolute shit IMHO.

If you must see it, rent it in a month, as it will not last in theaters.

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
I saw the previews for it, and I thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It was people jumping off buildings and laying in front of lawn mowers, who the fuck would want to see that?

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed it, but primarily because the score was beyond incredible. I've not heard a more interesting musical accompaniment in quite some time.

The acting was a bit cheesy at points, but I like the overall undertone of the movie. Its execution may have been fictional, but the idea that we may very well be harming the Earth is nothing to turn our heads at.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Shit I guess none of you guys saw Lady in the Water. Now that was a fucking bomb of a movie right there, one of the worst i have ever seen. I thought signs and the village were okay and the sixth sense was good. I don't even want to watch this one after everyones comments.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed this movie, and I'd see it again.

Having said that:
1) The acting was good, the writing not so great, and the directing far from good. Zooey Deschanel was excellent in places when given an opportunity to stretch out a bit (her nervous twitches when she's feeling awkward were flawless).
2) M. Night tends to leave out important information to leave things open-ended so you have to think for yourself, which is fine, except that he takes some really obvious things that didn't need explanation and beats you over the head with it.
3) Certain moments look like he's trying too hard. Like, you can tell it's just there because he thought it would look really cool and artsy.

Overall, there's a good movie there, but it's a little buried in not-so-great directing. It kind of feels like it was rushed and left unfinished, like parts were thrown together. It's obvious he can't direct actors worth shit, and puts far too much focus on what the film looks like. I still enjoyed it enough to see it again, but I definitely had issues with it that made me wish someone else had directed it. There were some really interesting plot points, but then some major things kind of seemed just thrown in and predictable. The music was incredible, I really enjoyed that.

As I said walking out of the theater, it was good, but if I wasn't reading the Stand, and hadn't just seen I Am Legend, Children of Men, Cloverfield, etc., etc. it wouldn't have looked as bad in comparison.

Overall: See it for yourself, see what you think of it. I'd personally love to see this movie re-made by a better director. Or at least, I'm hoping for a "Director's Cut" DVD with some major changes
especially the ending

Spoiler section:
I really didn't particularly like the ending. It was alright, but it just seemed to obvious from far too early in the film that he was trying really hard not to give it a twist ending. It was a little too clear that he was trying to get away from that criticism.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i saw this the other night, and it just plain sucked. terrible movie, the worst i've seen in years. the part that amazed me was that Sarah liked it. i wanted to leave in the middle, but i knew she was into it, so i had to stay. fuck you m night shamalanawhateverthefuckyourlastnameis.

Latest posts