The Ibanez U Bar

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It is. Even old 7620's have it, so it was around before the U-Bar unless there was some other model with it other than the k7's.
Actually not sure about old Edge's only LoPro from 7620's I've seen. I was thinking LoPro.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Reporting back after... errr... 9 days... sorry.

I can confirm that my 1993 Ibanez S540 LoPro Edge does in deed have the extra hole for a lefty installation as seen from its bottom. From the top view, the lefty hole is closed as if the trem's baseplate was made only for my guitar and note for a possible left hand one.

OceanTemple

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find the U Bar is great for extra big bends.

By bending the string and getting proactive with the U bar i find its pretty doable to get a smooth bend of at least a 5th. Obviously this is also possible with a regular whammy, but I find it a lot more intuitive to just hit the U bar with the side of my hand to get smooth pitch up bends than use a regular whammy which feels like it lends itself better to pitch dropping techniques. I also find the U bar offers a lot more leverage than just hitting the bridge without the U bar installed, so its defiantly got great value there as a unique performance tool

That said, i play a lot of funk palm muting with the RH and the U bar is just not compatible with my technique there. I thought about trying to flatten the offending part of the U Bar so that it still fits in the 2nd hole, but doesn't extend above the level of the strings until behind the bridge.

Not braved this particular DIY project yet though :D

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
i always wondered if it was actually an issue for ibanez to get gotoh to produce those bridges with arm sockets on both sides or if they basically just switched a few things around on the line and went "ok no problem"

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I find the U Bar is great for extra big bends.

By bending the string and getting proactive with the U bar i find its pretty doable to get a smooth bend of at least a 5th. Obviously this is also possible with a regular whammy, but I find it a lot more intuitive to just hit the U bar with the side of my hand to get smooth pitch up bends than use a regular whammy which feels like it lends itself better to pitch dropping techniques. I also find the U bar offers a lot more leverage than just hitting the bridge without the U bar installed, so its defiantly got great value there as a unique performance tool

That said, i play a lot of funk palm muting with the RH and the U bar is just not compatible with my technique there. I thought about trying to flatten the offending part of the U Bar so that it still fits in the 2nd hole, but doesn't extend above the level of the strings until behind the bridge.

Not braved this particular DIY project yet though :D
You could try it on a basic Floyd Rose style arm, and if it works, I'd be interested in one!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i always wondered if it was actually an issue for ibanez to get gotoh to produce those bridges with arm sockets on both sides or if they basically just switched a few things around on the line and went "ok no problem"

Not at all. Hoshino has been one of their biggest customers since 70's. They often work collaboratively on hardware. If anything Gotoh has worked to keep Ibanez as a customer.

Besides, it's just a Lo-Pro with both the right hand and left hand arm holders.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
The Apex 2 is so so so cooool
I regret a lot to have missed a second hand one in perfect conditions for € 800 some years ago (just when it went discontinued)

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
fHqXiR8
It is. Even old 7620's have it, so it was around before the U-Bar unless there was some other model with it other than the k7's.
Mike shinoda had a Ibanez LACS made for him that he painted that had the LoPro with holes for a Ubar but never saw him use it. It was cool the knobs and selector were swapped.

Last edited:

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Its strange because it appears to be a K7 body and pickups, yet the knobs and selector switch are in weird spots. The input jack is angled like a Uv/K7 too.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
The K-7 body is really a Universe body, since that's what Head & Munky were using a lot of, but it does seem like a mix of left over Universe, K-7 and RG7 parts, pretty cool!