The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I like how two weeks after deciding to get an axe fx II instead, I start hearing clips of the kind of sound I would be going for :lol:. That sounded heavy as hell man, nice to know the laney an kop tight modern metal tones with relative ease.

I didn't really like keith merrow or ola englund's demos at all, and I figured that was just the ironheart sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stijnson

Reaction score
anyone here notice that the direct out volume is really low? I am running it in my DAW with an IR and the signal from the amp is super low even when I have the amps volume control at 5 on 15w input. I have to crank my mic pre level on my saffire pro 40 to halfway up to get the volume at a reasonable level.

If I use the line input on my scarlett interface, with the guitar straight in, my mic pre level is about 3/4 of the way up too. So aslong as it doesnt clip you can run the mic pre pretty high. Also, if you dont have a speaker connected to the laney its output will always be 1w, even if you plug your guitar into the 15w input ;)

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Here is a new sound test using the 1W input and pretty low volume

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-test-1w[/SC]
:yesway: I find the <1W input surprisingly good. There is a slight difference in clarity between the two, but I find myself sticking to the 1W input, for practice at least. It took me a week or so, but I think I finally found a sweet spot between my OD boost and the gain on the Studio. Gonna jam with a friend tonight and crank it, see if it holds :D Really digging this little guy.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
The Ironheart is addictive. When I first got it, I didn't think it had enough gain/saturation compared to my JSX, but after some tube swaps it got more gain, and now when I plug into my JSX, it sounds like 80s cock rock in a box. I didn't realize how much more modern and open the Ironheart is.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
what tubes do you use in your IRT Studio? I plan on swapping them at some point in the future although I plan on waiting a while so my warranty isn't voided from changing the tubes. How big of a difference did it make? Does it have a negative effect on the clean tones? Are you able to use the boost more without farting the amp out?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I have the IRT60h, and I used GTECC83s in V1, and moved the TAD tube from V1 to V2. I put a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in v3. More gain, cleans still clean.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Yeah I loved mine pre and post tube swap, but you were the inspiration for doing it. And I haven't looked back. Honestly, the fact that it doesn't have as much gain on tap as say a 5150 I believe is the only reason it hasn't taken over the world yet haha. Laney Ironheart II anyone? :p

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Question for IRT-Studio owners:

Has anyone ever used theirs in a gig? Ever had any troubles with it cutting sans PA?

And even though it's probably not neccesary, has anyone tried using theres as a preamp? I'd imagine running the FX send into a guitar-purposed power amp or running the dry DI into a PA power amp could get good results.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Here is a new test in the 1 Watt input. Almost the same as the other one but high volume on the amp. The volume was about 3.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-test-1w-2[/SC]

tscoolberth

Reaction score
Hello Laney irt owners, I am in need of some advice! I'm considering purchasing a IRT studio ......... Now I know the IRT studio has the EL84's, but whats the character of the amp like? The demo's on youtube might not be doing it justice. Can it get that really tight, agressive with a lot of attack ,and punchy modern metal sound that I am after? Most demos I hear it sounds a bit too fuzzy and warm, not alot of attack and it has this 'old school' metal vibe to it. I only have the option to try out the 2x12 combo, which has 6L6's and completely different speakers, since Ill be using it with IR's. So I really need some advice! Thanks for any help in advance!

I'm not liking the Studio's EL84s very much, not enough balls but I recently purchased a Pro Tone pedal Clean Boost and it added a lot of the "balls" that I was looking for. (I switched to Sovtek EL84s)

I have a ProTone Pedal Deadhorse OD on the way and I'm still playing around with tubes. My cab is a Genz-Benz 2x12.

I realize in recording I'm having to roll off those lows anyways but maybe I have to buy a "ball buster" like a Randall Diavlo to get crushing tones and just keep this for everything else.

I still love the Studio though, it just needs a evil sibling.:evil:

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
how do you like your g flex cab? I own one as well. Have you tried boosting the IRT with a tubescreamer? Its adds gain and tightens it up. I'm pretty happy with the tones I get out of the IRT studio. I think it's best for low tuned guitars actually. Have you tried an eq in the effects loop? You can further mold your tone and make it heavier.

Reaction score
hello,
I'd like to have help to choose speakers for a 2x12 cab for an irt60h.
Mainly for metal and a little bit for classic rock.
At first, I wanted to buy vintage 30, I like the way they cut through a mix, but I sometimes find the mids tiring for the ears.
I'm considering the celestion g12h75 creamback, which are said to be somewhere between a v30 and a greenback.
Did someone try some of them with Laney amps?

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
I'm interested as well, also, if anyone could provide comparison clips as well between stock and upgraded speakers on the IRT cab

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Just finished another tone test this time going direct out and using IRs. Lower tuning as well. I used DIs and a backing track found on the sneap forum

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-test-ir-2[/SC]

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Besides hearing Lasse's stuff, that's the best Narcosynthesis tone test I've heard so far. :agreed:

EDIT: Odd request, but can you do just a single-tracked guitar with no post-production or backing track?

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
wow thanks a lot. I take that as a huge compliment because I've heard some pretty awesome tones with those DIs. Yeah I can post the raw guitar at some point this morning. I used two different tones though since it was quad tracked. I guess I can just do both. One of the tones is more dominant though.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
okay here is the raw tone of the most dominant one (with the cab IR of course) Noisey as .... I know. I should of used more noise gating. I reamped going direct out of my saffire pro 40 with no reamp box or anything. I didn't use the IRT's reamp feature.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-studio-raw-1[/SC]

Other one it was about 3 db lower in the mix.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-studio-raw-2[/SC]