The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Caelumamittendum

Reaction score
*Revive spell*

I was randomly browsing the Internet on something about my IRT60H, though I forgot what now, as I suddenly stumbled upon pictures of IRT60Hs with DI out etc.

Is this a new feature on newer models? I'm very happy with mine, never really had a moments trouble, but I very very very rarely missed having a DI out.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
I have owned both versions. The original was only a short run, afaict the majority of them have the DI.

It has a useful feature which is that you can run the amp signal out, with or without cab sim applied.

The cab sim is... passable. But the amp signal can easily have IRs applied in your DAW or with a pedal, so its an easy way to get into IRs. It saves having to buy a redbox.

The only other difference (may) be the noise floor. My first Ironheart was much noisier; with a similar amount of gain it had more background hiss. When soloing, the noise floor was high enough that you could hear/feel the noise gate engaging.

It may have been defective or there may have been a circuit change. Or they may have changed the presence/top end of the EQ.

Last edited:

Cheesehed

Reaction score
This thread looks kinda dead now. I been a helix user for over 2 years I just got the IRT120H. Running it through 2 oversized 2x12 cabs loaded with 12t-75 this thing is a beast! That real tube feel , the dynamics on the way you pick . Makes me want to get a real rube amp for Helix now

Cheesehed

Reaction score
The IRT120H sounds better through passive pickups . I have 2 guitars with emg81’s they sound a little thin . How are people dealing with active pickups with the amp?

Lenwe5o

Reaction score
I change the speaker in my Laney IRT30, here is a few sounds.
Speaker Comparison: Laney HH 1280 VS Celestion Classic Lead 80/ Ironheart IRT30-112 SOUNDS

Kilroy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have an IronHeart Studio 15? I love this amp but it's not quite loud enough to keep up the guys I play with after a few drinks. I'm wondering if I can run a line from the DI out to Peavey power amp. 1/4" line level input. Is there any other way? Any help appreciated.

Modus_Operandi

Reaction score
Morning All,

Just got a Ironheart 120H last week to record direct with Suhr Reactive Load - very, very impressed so far -

Quick raw, demo recording here -

https://soundcloud.com/the-good-dr/laney-suhr-test-press

Guitar is a Chapman Ghost Fret (southpaw) - currently all stock -

Just got a boost running into amp - Laney is on the rhythm channel, gain 3, and boost is engaged with gain on 3 also.

Eq set to taste, dynamics @12, reverb is from HX Stomp and Watts on full. Volume on channel is just nudging over 6.

Really impressed with the raw tone and how it just reacts like a cab - inspiring to say the least.

First tube amp for 12 years - freaking awesome to get all nuances of playing and feels back that just make me want to play guitar.

lewis

Reaction score
Morning All,

Just got a Ironheart 120H last week to record direct with Suhr Reactive Load - very, very impressed so far -

Quick raw, demo recording here -

https://soundcloud.com/the-good-dr/laney-suhr-test-press

Guitar is a Chapman Ghost Fret (southpaw) - currently all stock -

Just got a boost running into amp - Laney is on the rhythm channel, gain 3, and boost is engaged with gain on 3 also.

Eq set to taste, dynamics @12, reverb is from HX Stomp and Watts on full. Volume on channel is just nudging over 6.

Really impressed with the raw tone and how it just reacts like a cab - inspiring to say the least.

First tube amp for 12 years - freaking awesome to get all nuances of playing and feels back that just make me want to play guitar.

I had the 120H back in the day too!

Was amazing. What really really brought it to life was swapping out the stock tubes. If you are happy now you wait until you have to retube the thing at some point and you get some JJs or something industry standard rolling.
Took it up a level.

I was interested in the rack version at some point just because I missed the 120.

Modus_Operandi

Reaction score
@lewis

I'm going to squirrel a few funds away each month towards tubes - will most likely badger Watford Valves for recommendations - and try EL34 in the power section too.

What preamp tubes did you try and the noted difference? I do have some spares from my Orange days, so might try tinkering and see. But currently, tone is working for me.

lewis

Reaction score
@lewis

I'm going to squirrel a few funds away each month towards tubes - will most likely badger Watford Valves for recommendations - and try EL34 in the power section too.

What preamp tubes did you try and the noted difference? I do have some spares from my Orange days, so might try tinkering and see. But currently, tone is working for me.

I tightened the amp up and gave it a slightly more modern/twangier vibe by using the
SHUGUANG 12AX7B SILVER DRAGON pre amp tubes :)

Vitus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I'm just getting back into it earlier this year. Been awhile since I've owned a tube head but the last one was a 100w Marshall with no master volume... forgot the model though. In hindsight I guess I couldn't really use it like it should be used as I had no attenuator.

I've owned the IRT15H-V2 head for a few months and it seems great for practicing at home... the <1w input is awesome for that.

I wanted more volume than the 15w input in group settings so I picked up the IRT120H too at a good price too so I'm playing with that now as well.

My question arises with the connection to the footswitch on the 120w.
The 15w-V2 uses a 1/4" TRS cable to control reverb and boost. It only has one channel.

For the 120w and 60w I've read that you can switch from using the 5 pin DIN to using 1/4" cables to control the channel, reverb and boost. Has anyone got that configuration? I only see a 5 pin din connector on the back of my 120w and no 1/4" jacks related to the controls.

To make it even more confusing the 60w/120w manual I downloaded from Laney shows the back which looks like mine with only the 5 pin din connector for the footswitch. But in the same manual the back pictured under some of the other languages looks different and does have the extra 1/4" jacks to use with footswitches.

I wonder do both versions of the 60w and 120w exist? I was thinking I'd get another for some EL34 tube experimentation as these can be very affordable used sometimes and I'd probably want to change the tube on used one anyway but I wonder if I should keep an eye out for both configurations as I'd prefer to use 1/4" cables if I could or have the option to so I'm not only stuck with the proprietary switch if it fails.

Last edited:

Latest posts