The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

theGirthquake

metalhead
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions or info/advice. It's probably gonna just boil down to "I dunno man just try both and see what you like", but maybe some useful info will come of it.

I'm building a monster stage rig, two full stacks and two heads through an A/B/Y box. One head is my disgustingly redhot modded 5150 and the other is my recently-acquired stock IRT120H. Let's assume for the sake of simplicity that all four cabs are the same thing. The project is live tone-masturbation in the context of 8-string groove death/sludge. Think Ahab, Portal, Incantation, maybe a touch of Craft.

I'm going to retube the Ironheart, but am thinking about going the EL34 route, to further distinguish it from the 5150 and really facefvck the combined sound. But I can't get a feel for whether the warmth and crushiness of the brit tubes would be complimentary to the Peavey's raw brutality, or if they would work against each other, and I'd like to avoid buying a round of tubes and paying for a tech to bias them for nothing. In case it matters, no shredding or deedledeedles needed here, just big dumb loose and sweaty caveman death metal.

What do you think?

Small, side question: how much damage will I hypothetically be doing running the stock 6L6s with the bias switch on EL34? I might have hypothetically done this for a night at practice and might have hypothetically thought it sounded awesome

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nlaplante

Reaction score
It hypothetically should sound badass.

ADVICE:
I would never run the 6L6 with the switch on EL34. That sends way too much current to the tubes. I'd do the inverse tough, since having the switch on 6L6 would send not enough current to the EL34.

Deception

deceived
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking to get the IRT Studio soon, as it'll be perfect for transporting to and from uni, and I want to mainly use it for recording. I probably won't be getting a cab with it though; I was wondering, for just jamming, is it feasible to run the DI out to my Scarlett 2i2 and then to monitors? Is there any latency?

Stijnson

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking to get the IRT Studio soon, as it'll be perfect for transporting to and from uni, and I want to mainly use it for recording. I probably won't be getting a cab with it though; I was wondering, for just jamming, is it feasible to run the DI out to my Scarlett 2i2 and then to monitors? Is there any latency?

There shouldn't be any latency that you'll really notice. Maybe if you play through your DAW to use external IR's and play through monitors, you might have some more latency. But still nothing that will bother recording/playing.

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
No difference tonally, just power. I've used both but usually use the 60 Watt version just to drive the power section a little more.

Here's the rig I just used for Bloodstock Open Air 2014.

603711_10152608292020535_9089566394543586168_n.jpg

imjoni

Reaction score
Does anyone here own the IRT15 head? How hard is it to get a classic rock tone or an Opeth-esque tone?

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ i haven't tried it but i'm guessing the fact that it's a single channel amp makes it less versatile than its bigger brothers

Edit: oh ivjust noticed i already answered on your other thread :lol:

tender_insanity

Reaction score
I've had my IRT Studio for about over a month now and really liking it. Don't care much about the inbuilt cab sim. I run it through speakers or to a DAW with ReCabinet 3 plugin.

----------------------------------

Here's a few songs recorded with the ReCabinet 3

An instrumental (All leads are with BOSS GT-100)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5738957/Matias Vilkko - Gorilla Hideout.mp3

A melodic metal demo (vocal line played by pan flute :p)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5738957/song_of_the_stars.mp3

-------------------------------------

When it comes to using a cab. I don't know. I've only got a DIY 1x15" and then I use my Randall combo's 2x12" celestions as speakers.

When I use the DIY one, I need to crank the highs up. Then again with the Randall speakers I need to turn the tone down quite a lot.

At the moment I'm playing with my Squier Strat and chasing for an early Yngwie tone. It sounds close with this kind of settings like in the pic. Rhythm Channel with the inbuilt boost ON.

rig3.jpeg

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
heres a combination post. a sample of what an overdrive can do with an irt-studio, as well as a shameless self promotion of my pedals lol

i couldnt make it as only one video for some reason, but the one i wanted is first anyway...

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Looks like I won't belong in this thread much longer. Having to sell my IRT Studio. This sucks. :(

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Does anyone's irt-studio create a speaker pop when switching to the clean channel?

I know one other member said his did, I just was curious if anyone else had the same situation. If I mute the guitar before switching its not as bad but if there is a sound coming from the guitar its pretty damn loud. I also tried cycling through the channels to see if it would stop it but it didnt.

nlaplante

Reaction score
I've been playing a lot with my low-gain-friendly squier telecaster lately. This amp can deliver awesome (= great) vintage stratty/tele-esque tones when using either the clean channel cranked over 8 or the rhythm channel with gain below 4. +1 for its versatility. The power tube break sounds so nice when driving the channel volumes way up. Very dynamic and touch responsive. Each day I use this amp I love it more and more. And I bought it without even trying it. It's a keeper!

The only downside for me is that when running high channel volumes and reverb at += 7, the reverb circuit introduces a bit of hiss.

Corpsevomit

Reaction score
Anyone tested the irt 30w combo?
I love my studio but need more output power and the 30w 112 could be a nice upgrade and got the same di output for recording.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Guys, I'm buying an OD to push the front end.. What versions do you like the most?
I'm gonna be using the OD to get into death/tech/progressive territory.

An obvious choice would be the Maxon OD808, but I'm open to all suggestions.. Really love new discoveries :)