The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
There is an sb57/tv on marketplace for $3598 cad
And a sb56n was at $3200 last week. Now it's price is at 2800.
Sb57 would be that much new after tax iirc. Like i said, people asking full pop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Okay, I want to buy my first LP. I have played several over the years and always really liked them although there's no forearm contour and upper fret access is poor. Something about the whole design just works. And perhaps I'm just being a fanboy since so many of my favourite players play or have played a LP or LP style at some point.

So preferably used, and preferably a Gibson. I have a soft spot for a black beauty LPC but tbh I'm quite confused by all the sometimes minor spec variations over the years. I also wouldn't mind a good old Standard or one of the older Classics with the greenish inlays depending on the colour. In any case I need fretboard and body binding because I prefer how that looks. So what should I be on the lookout for? Any MY that are more desirable than others for whatever reason?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I want to buy my first LP. I have played several over the years and always really liked them although there's no forearm contour and upper fret access is poor. Something about the whole design just works. And perhaps I'm just being a fanboy since so many of my favourite players play or have played a LP or LP style at some point.

So preferably used, and preferably a Gibson. I have a soft spot for a black beauty LPC but tbh I'm quite confused by all the sometimes minor spec variations over the years. I also wouldn't mind a good old Standard or one of the older Classics with the greenish inlays depending on the colour. In any case I need fretboard and body binding because I prefer how that looks. So what should I be on the lookout for? Any MY that are more desirable than others for whatever reason?
So basically you want anything above a studio. Lots of models, lots of prices.

Start with a budget.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

A Black LPC with gold hardware. Do it. There just is no better looking guitar. Gibson, Epiphone, Orville, Tokai, Greco, Burny, Navigator, Edwards, don't matter as long as it's the original shape, any deviation gives me serious uncanny valley vibes.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A Black LPC with gold hardware. Do it. There just is no better looking guitar. Gibson, Epiphone, Orville, Tokai, Greco, Burny, Navigator, Edwards, don't matter as long as it's the original shape, any deviation gives me serious uncanny valley vibes.
If he wants Gibson there are 3 current lpc’s: custom shop, 57 reissue, 68 reissue. CS is the cheapest and pre 202x? 9-hole weight relief and 498t/490r compared to cs pickups in the other two (which were 57’s in the 90’s and 2000’s iirc).

I tried an edwards 68ri looking guitar in Toronto, definitely a great guitar for $1200. Neck was similar to my 68ri.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
So basically you want anything above a studio. Lots of models, lots of prices.

Start with a budget.
Willing to go up to about 3.5k which I think doesn't really help restrict my options?

A Black LPC with gold hardware. Do it. There just is no better looking guitar.
Black beauty Explorers look awesome too but LPCs are just something else! I do really like Standards in honey something or a gold top though...

If he wants Gibson there are 3 current lpc’s: custom shop, 57 reissue, 68 reissue. CS is the cheapest and pre 202x? 9-hole weight relief and 498t/490r compared to cs pickups in the other two (which were 57’s in the 90’s and 2000’s iirc).

I tried an edwards 68ri looking guitar in Toronto, definitely a great guitar for $1200. Neck was similar to my 68ri.
Yeah I'm going to be an asshole about it and most likely go for a Gibson.

Any differences in neck shape/thickness between the CS, 57 and 68?

Weight relief is only nice to have.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@Robslalaina that should get you a used non reissue 100% as well as 70s/80s models.

Check reverb then find the dealer and make an offer, also check craigslist facebook etc. always best to try them first but i have had very good luck buying CS blind lol.

soliloquy

Reaction score
@budda Edwards to Eastman?

@Robslalaina if your budget is $3500, i may also suggest Navigator and Maybach guitars. Though you are spoiled for high quality options at that point. I would also suggest an LPC, especially if its your first lp. As for forearm contour, if it becomes an issue, play the LP in the classical postilion. This also helps with fret access.

g'luck

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Willing to go up to about 3.5k which I think doesn't really help restrict my options?

Black beauty Explorers look awesome too but LPCs are just something else! I do really like Standards in honey something or a gold top though...

Yeah I'm going to be an asshole about it and most likely go for a Gibson.

Any differences in neck shape/thickness between the CS, 57 and 68?

Weight relief is only nice to have.
Just note that there were a few years where the "normal" LPC had a richlite board. I have no issue with that, but resale on those is harder. So be careful not to overpay for one of those and instead look for a nicer deal if you want one with the richlite board. I had one for a bit and loved it.

I didn't particularly notice any difference in neck shapes between them.

FWIW, the 9-hole relieved LPC I had was heavier than my solid '57 LPC. I suspect they sort for lighter wood for the more expensive guitars.

At $3.5k, you could keep an eye out for some of the really fancy Japanese copies (Navigator, Crews, Momose). I have had some Navigators and still have two. The older ones are a bit meh but the newer ones (2017+) are magnificent. But they don't try to be historically accurate, so the tenon is a bit longer and the binding nibs are much cleaner than anything you'll find on a Gibson reissue.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a gibson les paul custom in black, just buy that. The MIJ suggestions are great guitars, but they arent actual lpc’s.

Signed,

Wanted a black lpc so he found one.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Thank you all! People seem quite fond of Gibsons from the early to mid 90s but is that warranted? Like, if I found a LPC I liked for say 3,500 and a 1991 for 3,900, assuming they were roughly in similar condition and all, would the 91 be a more sensible purchase?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you all! People seem quite fond of Gibsons from the early to mid 90s but is that warranted? Like, if I found a LPC I liked for say 3,500 and a 1991 for 3,900, assuming they were roughly in similar condition and all, would the 91 be a more sensible purchase?
Not to me, unless it was clearly the better guitar and I had $3900 for it.

$3900 will get you a mid 70’s which has more cache. Pre 2004 are made alongside the standards of that era, after 2004 the non-reissues moved to the custom shop.

cardinal

Reaction score
All the Gibson LPCs I've played have been awesome. Supposedly QC was higher in late 80s/early 90s because the shop was making so few guitars that they had the time. I dunno.

I would just buy one and it'll make you happy.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From my experience and current statements Gibson really stepped up their QC in 2021. All the newer models I've tried and owned where really amazing instruments, event though I tried and bought all of them in europe. But I still would try them for real, especially with so much money on the line.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
All the Gibson LPCs I've played have been awesome. Supposedly QC was higher in late 80s/early 90s because the shop was making so few guitars that they had the time. I dunno.

I would just buy one and it'll make you happy.
My issue with this take (not an attack on Cardinal here!) is how would qc on the standard line somehow be better than the custom shop (where historic reissues were made). CS (custom arts and historic) started in 92/93 officially and it took over a decade to move the les paul custom there. There was a 1959 reissue done in 89 iirc but that wasnt even 59 spec, just their top offering.

At the end of the day ya gotta judge each individual guitar, but for the reasons above I wouldnt pay extra for 90s “good wood” myth years. $3500usd gets you a mid to late 70s and up les paul custom. Any lpc with the custom shop stamp (2004 and later) I would feel more confident buying blind from a dealer.

I briefly owned a 79 alongside my 2022 68ri. They sounded the same when I played them but I vastly preferred the 68ri neck. Some 70s models will have a slimmer neck than their later counterparts :2c:

cardinal

Reaction score
My issue with this take (not an attack on Cardinal here!) is how would qc on the standard line somehow be better than the custom shop (where historic reissues were made). CS (custom arts and historic) started in 92/93 officially and it took over a decade to move the les paul custom there. There was a 1959 reissue done in 89 iirc but that wasnt even 59 spec, just their top offering.

At the end of the day ya gotta judge each individual guitar, but for the reasons above I wouldnt pay extra for 90s “good wood” myth years. $3500usd gets you a mid to late 70s and up les paul custom. Any lpc with the custom shop stamp (2004 and later) I would feel more confident buying blind from a dealer.

I briefly owned a 79 alongside my 2022 68ri. They sounded the same when I played them but I vastly preferred the 68ri neck. Some 70s models will have a slimmer neck than their later counterparts :2c:
I personally think it's a bit weird to hold late 80s/early 90s Gibsons in particular high esteem since all people did at the time was complain about them. IME any "nicer" Gibson I've played (LP standard or up) has been really nice. Some of the cheaper models, the QC seems hit or miss.

But I think early 90s, there wasn't a dedicated custom shop group? They were just made along with everything else.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally think it's a bit weird to hold late 80s/early 90s Gibsons in particular high esteem since all people did at the time was complain about them. IME any "nicer" Gibson I've played (LP standard or up) has been really nice. Some of the cheaper models, the QC seems hit or miss.

But I think early 90s, there wasn't a dedicated custom shop group? They were just made along with everything else.
Someone came up with this “good wood era” about early 90’s Gibsons and it took off. The custom shop officially started in 92/93 ish which is when historic reissues started.

Tl dr: there was a custom shop in the early 90s, and les paul customs werent made there.

flv75

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone own the Epiphone Les Paul custom Cantrell Wino?
From the specs it seems really interesting and looks amazing.
How does it compare to a Gibson Les Paul studio?
Thank you!