The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I'd say the whole older is better trope is for people to hike up prices when selling second hand rather than any actual quantifiable aspect.
The pickup magnets would have degaussed some, so they might be sweeter sounding, which is not really a positive if you're planning to play heavy music.
Most of them sell used now quite a bit more than what they cost new and that's due to the new prices being as high as they are. My mate bought his LP Custom 7-8 years ago new about €3000 and if he wanted, he could sell it for a profit. Sounds great but has the 50's neck and is really difficult to play lol.
Then it's a matter of guitar to guitar and what sits right and sounds right when you play. If you're buying blind, buy new at a shop.with a good return policy in case there are issues. If you buy used and the guitar is a dud, you're stuck with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
All the Gibson LPCs I've played have been awesome. Supposedly QC was higher in late 80s/early 90s because the shop was making so few guitars that they had the time. I dunno.

I would just buy one and it'll make you happy.

I would just dismiss any notion that certain era's of Gibson are better than others due to x number of random variables. You really just need to judge each individual guitar. I think that could be said for ALL guitars regardless of brand. Every one is a little different. You don't know until you get your hands on it.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Someone came up with this “good wood era” about early 90’s Gibsons and it took off. The custom shop officially started in 92/93 ish which is when historic reissues started.

Tl dr: there was a custom shop in the early 90s, and les paul customs werent made there.

Maybe they used Elven trees back then? :scratch:

Darkscience

Reaction score
Here is a new one I got coming in, 1980 LP Custom Natural. I thought I was done buying guitars....said all of us at one point. The price seemed good to me, IDK, lately I feel like I am overpaying, this one seemed like a really good deal but I am probably wrong. This is my 3rd Norlin era guitar, I own 4 total LPs all Customs.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good! I tried one around the same age when i was getting my superlead, realized i like a little more meat on the neck than some norlins have. The 79 tobacco i tried has been the comfiest (76, two 79, 80-83ish).

I tried 3 of the new finish standards today and they were all great (unplugged). One gelled a bit better than the other two. But i was there to do something else and i just cant pay 4k for a standard when $4500 gets a historic..

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Wish this site wasnt trash for uploads :(

Marked Man

Reaction score
Actually, I lied, I own 3 Norlins, 2 of them are Custom, the 3rd is a Deluxe Pro, and I have 5 total LPs...I think when you start to forget what you have it is time to stop buying guitars...said no one ever.

When you're on your death bed one day, do you think you'll say "I wish I hadn't bought that last......Les Paul"?

Me either. :wavey:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Surprised the YouTube market isn't getting flooded with JJN epiphone Blues Glory reviews.

Usually the YouTube creators all load on the same day their impressions on the guitar.

Waiting to see if Trogly or others would look into it first.

I also wonder if epiphone is now changing their marketing strategy.

Even reverb only has one at the moment.

I may get one as used down the road

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Epiphone with a Gibson headstock:

Might be an actual one piece neck; from the pics I don't see a scarf/luthier joint around the headstock?

Looks like a double action rod from the truss rod cover screws.

Last edited:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Epiphone with a Gibson headstock:

Might be an actual one piece neck; from the pics I don't see a scarf/luthier joint around the headstock?

Looks like a double action rod from the truss rod cover screws.

some of the Japanese's Epiphones do have that same headstock. And they are also fetching up a higher price than the Gibson Tributes and Studios, and at times higher than Classics and traditional too.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen an epi elitist for 3k cdn and laughed aloud. Who is paying that? (No one).

soliloquy

Reaction score
with the current price of Epiphone artist series, which, at times is double of their standard series, its a hard sell, in my opinion, when Studios and tributes are competing for the same price.
Sure, EVERYTHING has gone up in price since covid. But Epiphones standard series, like their Modern Les Pauls are still going for 800ish CAD, which are solid instruments. then the artist series, which are made in the same place, mostly the same specs and handwear, are double the price? Adam Jones LP is for 1800? Bonamasa for 15-1600? Slash around that same price?

Epiphone never directly competed with Schecter/LTD, but the recent price hike seems to be going against them directly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
When its way less than the comparable gibson models, sales happen.

jrn1308

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Epiphone Slash models have been sold for about 600 Euro lately in Germany. The latest Adam Jones models also have been discounted in many shops to around 1.100 - 1.200 Euro. But it seems Kirk Hammett sells like hot cakes. The Vs have been sold out pretty quickly in bigger shops and now the Epiphone Greeny is also already sold out at Thomann.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
some of the Japanese's Epiphones do have that same headstock. And they are also fetching up a higher price than the Gibson Tributes and Studios, and at times higher than Classics and traditional too.
Yeah but at least the ones I'm thinking of were built by Fujigen and Terada rather than whoever in China. But supposedly the new Chinese Epiphones are really nice.