The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Gibson CS is usually “VOS” finish though most if not all get ordered as gloss by various dealers at various times.
Yeah, I do not like the VOS finish. It can look ok in pictures, but in person it looks very underwhelming particularly for how expensive these can be. And it feels sticky.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
Short answer is both are very nice. Newer Navigators are flawless; and I've been consistently impressed with fretwork on Gibson Custom guitars.

Older Navigators are built more like a Gibson (more crude neck tenon and fret end binding etc) and IME have larger necks and are quite heavier. These newer ones are lighter, more modest neck thickness, and the tenon and fret ends are perfection: the tenon perfectly fills the mortise and the fret end binding perfectly follows the fret crown.

These have all been refretted, but older Navs use to have Sanko #213 frets which are 1mm high (quite low to me). Now they use Jescar 47104, so like a PRS. Gibson has used 45100 for a while but recently switched it up, which is something to consider.

I prefer the Navigator finish. In person, they practically glow. Gibson finishes are pretty meh. I think that could be intentional (to look old), but I personally don't like it.
What year would the cutoff between older and current ones be? Do you think the newer ones are chambered hence lighter?

I just saw the ESP site, current Navigators seem to use 47104NS. But damn they are priced higher than Gibson LPCs. Reverb pricing seems all over the place from USD2-5k.

cardinal

Reaction score
What year would the cutoff between older and current ones be? Do you think the newer ones are chambered hence lighter?

I just saw the ESP site, current Navigators seem to use 47104NS. But damn they are priced higher than Gibson LPCs. Reverb pricing seems all over the place from USD2-5k.
2017 was the switch from #213 to 47104.

They should not be chambered. I assume they just use better selected wood. Newer Gibson Historics are lighter too compared to the same guitars in the early 2000s, in my experience.

Used Navigators are all over the map because the different eras and conditions. And some people are delusional.

cardinal

Reaction score

Made a clip for someone who was interested in hearing the Dimarzio 36th PAF DP102 pickup in the bridge position.

Figured I'd toss it into this thread since it's in a R8. I really like the pickup. It's like it's been EQ just right. Hated the ThroBak that was in the guitar when I got it haha

cardinal

Reaction score
Yep. Lifer.
Nice! I have a '57 LPC RI that is probably my favorite guitar. It's on the left here

IMG-0289.jpg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! I have a '57 LPC RI that is probably my favorite guitar. It's on the left here

IMG-0289.jpg
My buddy's old 57RI was laughably close in feel to the 68, and I dont think they sounded too far apart either (we didnt make clips or anything). Both very sweet guitars.

R9 and 68RI will stick around, and unless something wild happens I dont see the other two going anywhere either.

cardinal

Reaction score
My buddy's old 57RI was laughably close in feel to the 68, and I dont think they sounded too far apart either (we didnt make clips or anything). Both very sweet guitars.

R9 and 68RI will stick around, and unless something wild happens I dont see the other two going anywhere either.

Speaking of clips, I found my e609 and recorded some clips of all of them playing the same basic thing to hear the differences.

Set up was the same. Guitar->SD-1 (off then on for Crystal Mountain riffs)-> JMP 2204 -> Marshall 1960AV -> e609. In theory no reverb/processing.

Gibson R8 with two Dimarzio 36th PAFs

Navigator Standard with Seth Lovers

Navigator CTM with Seth Lover

Gibson R7 LPC with 57 Classics

The Nav CTM ('68 spec) sounds pretty different to me than the R7 LPC, but they do have different pickups.

wiretap

Reaction score
Just bought another LPC, got a decent price on a 2013 with a headstock repair and relic finish done by KLH (Did a lot of fender type relics years back, not sure if he’s still doing it) but I plan to have it refinished by Starr Guitars in a charcoal frost blue (like a really dark Pelham blue) in the near future. I’m currently on tour and won’t be home for another few weeks to check it out but here’s listing photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 48

Estilo

Reaction score
@budda Would you school me on a 2007 CS Alpine White LPC? It would have a 2pc weight-relieved mahogany body, 2pc maple cap and 490/498s correct? Would you deem USD 3,200 fair for it? I recall the white ones being pricier new than ebony, but much rarer in the secondary markets. The white ones age in a trickier way between staying white and turning mustard depending on light exposure?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@budda Would you school me on a 2007 CS Alpine White LPC? It would have a 2pc weight-relieved mahogany body, 2pc maple cap and 490/498s correct? Would you deem USD 3,200 fair for it? I recall the white ones being pricier new than ebony, but much rarer in the secondary markets. The white ones age in a trickier way between staying white and turning mustard depending on light exposure?
Looks right to me, not sure if they were 1pc back in 07 but def 9-hole relief.

US prices and Canadian prices seem to vary as I have seen 3 white lpc’s at $4200cdn, with the last being available local to me pre CS for $4200cad.

That being said, stores always ask higher because they will get their commission.

Price would be based on condition and original parts (pickup swap is fine, better if original set is included and not paying extra for said mods). I would compare with other lpc prices within range and decide how badly you want the guitar. Also worth asking the weight as they are usually around 10lb but can be more.

Estilo

Reaction score
Hmm it looks good, has not even yellowed all that much. I'll also get to try first I think.. seller is an individual but can meet somewhere.

I'll try to haggle anothee $200 off I guess. I'm in Indonesia and the market is shallow but I've seen ebonies from the 90s go for around that price to slightly higher. I have noticed used prices falling though across LP Standards and Trads, COL inflation is a bitch.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm it looks good, has not even yellowed all that much. I'll also get to try first I think.. seller is an individual but can meet somewhere.

I'll try to haggle anothee $200 off I guess. I'm in Indonesia and the market is shallow but I've seen ebonies from the 90s go for around that price to slightly higher. I have noticed used prices falling though across LP Standards and Trads, COL inflation is a bitch.
If the price seems like it has wiggle room, offer a bit less and hopefully seller knows to counter offer so you both feel good about the price. Or they agree to your lower price and that's that :lol:.

Gonna be posting les paul content here once the house is empty :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitar comparison update:

Its an 11m video. Will anyone watch it or should I free up some space on my phone :lol:

cardinal

Reaction score
Picked up a Crews LED Custom, which is a '57-style LPC (i.e., one-piece Honduran mahogany body, no top). Consensus seems to be that these fancier Crews are Terada-built.

It's the one in the middle
IMG-0378.jpg

Tenon is Gibson-like, not like the Navigator that runs to the back of the cavity and is seamless. No fret end binding. I measure the frets as Jescar 47095, which I think is what Heritage uses on the Core models and is the same height as the Navigator 47104.
IMG-0387.jpg

Came with some fancier Japanese-wound pickups. Some type of '57 PAF clone with NOS wire from the 50s.
IMG-0388.jpg

Fit and finish Id put on par with the Navigator other than the tenon and fret end binding. Both are cleaner builds than the Gibson.

Last edited:

Iansoliva

Reaction score
This 2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute fell on my lap for $180.. and it came with a Roland Cube Micro amp! I don’t know what the seller was thinking but he seems to look disgusted when he handed them over to me lol.

53737240867_648afb707d_h.jpg

I was expecting it to have serious issues like repaired headstock breaks or twisted neck but none of there’s none of that.

53738169266_1ad6ec1180_h.jpg

53737240872_f7754e1527_h.jpg

Latest posts