The Mandalorian

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
the entirety of Disney's decisions regarding SW lore post Return of The Jedi

Funny now you've mentioned this...

Return of The Jedi should've been the telltale sign that Star Wars will be repeating itself and throwing fanservice pandering for the rest of eternity. It just repeats the first Star Wars movie all over again. Back on Tattooine. The 2 droids delivering a holographic message. Again. More X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dogfights. Hell, let's put another Death Star on again because the Empire didn't learn their lesson from the first movie. A disinterested Harrison Ford only back because 'Dead Han don't sell toys' so let's have him open a door. Hell, George Lucas himself was disinterested in Star Wars too. You could argue that Jedi was a response to Empire not doing so hot at the box office (people often forget that). People also often forget fans hated the Ewoks back in the day too.

Fast forward to the prequels where the fans lambasted Phantom Menace, which drove Jake Lloyd insane and Ahmet Best to near suicide. So Attack of The Clones was the fanservice pandering response. And somehow became an inferior movie. I'm also going to argue that 90% of the EU is glorified fanfiction, with very few jewels in the vast mire. No wonder it was de-cannonised for a while.

Then the sequel trilogy. Oh boy. Right off the bat, Force Awakens was genetically engineered to bring Star Wars fans back into the fold - by remaking Star Wars again. Just a self referential pander with 3 Death Stars glued together on top. And when Last Jedi tried something new and interesting, a small but loud crowd got uppity as if Kathleen Kennedy's entire existence brings them pain. In which Disney screwed up and listened to them trying to make the ultimate fanservice movie. Hence why Rise of Skywalker is straight up terrible and set the trend for nostalgia wank like Ghostbusters Afterlife or Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. It's funny that Last Jedi, for all the faults it has, has aged far better than Ep 7, 9 and the prequels. Hell, I'd argue that it's aged better than Return of The Jedi. Disney should've doubled down after LJ and go with Duel of The Fates, and maybe Colin Trevorrow would've made a good movie that wasn't Safety Not Guaranteed.

As for the D+ shows.... Mando started off great, until it became a backdoor trailer to all the extra shows and EU stuff that Disney is forcing back into the franchise. :lol: Hell, you've got shows like Kenobi and Ahsoka doing their hardest to jog in their place going nowhere. Then again, making these shows as Saturday morning cartoons wasn't unprecedented since A New Hope. Seriously look up when Kenner were selling empty Star Wars toy boxes with printed IOUs.

That said, along came Andor and proved that you can breathe new like into Star Wars and make top tier quality stories. And honestly, with the Skywalker saga bled dry, Star Wars needs to cut the fan service pandering and tell new and different stories to feel like a vast galaxy far far away again. But baby Yoda is a big selling point so....

TL/DR: Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Funny now you've mentioned this...

Return of The Jedi should've been the telltale sign that Star Wars will be repeating itself and throwing fanservice pandering for the rest of eternity. It just repeats the first Star Wars movie all over again. Back on Tattooine. The 2 droids delivering a holographic message. Again. More X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dogfights. Hell, let's put another Death Star on again because the Empire didn't learn their lesson from the first movie. A disinterested Harrison Ford only back because 'Dead Han don't sell toys' so let's have him open a door. Hell, George Lucas himself was disinterested in Star Wars too. You could argue that Jedi was a response to Empire not doing so hot at the box office (people often forget that). People also often forget fans hated the Ewoks back in the day too.

Fast forward to the prequels where the fans lambasted Phantom Menace, which drove Jake Lloyd insane and Ahmet Best to near suicide. So Attack of The Clones was the fanservice pandering response. And somehow became an inferior movie. I'm also going to argue that 90% of the EU is glorified fanfiction, with very few jewels in the vast mire. No wonder it was de-cannonised for a while.

Then the sequel trilogy. Oh boy. Right off the bat, Force Awakens was genetically engineered to bring Star Wars fans back into the fold - by remaking Star Wars again. Just a self referential pander with 3 Death Stars glued together on top. And when Last Jedi tried something new and interesting, a small but loud crowd got uppity as if Kathleen Kennedy's entire existence brings them pain. In which Disney screwed up and listened to them trying to make the ultimate fanservice movie. Hence why Rise of Skywalker is straight up terrible and set the trend for nostalgia wank like Ghostbusters Afterlife or Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. It's funny that Last Jedi, for all the faults it has, has aged far better than Ep 7, 9 and the prequels. Hell, I'd argue that it's aged better than Return of The Jedi. Disney should've doubled down after LJ and go with Duel of The Fates, and maybe Colin Trevorrow would've made a good movie that wasn't Safety Not Guaranteed.

As for the D+ shows.... Mando started off great, until it became a backdoor trailer to all the extra shows and EU stuff that Disney is forcing back into the franchise. :lol: Hell, you've got shows like Kenobi and Ahsoka doing their hardest to jog in their place going nowhere. Then again, making these shows as Saturday morning cartoons wasn't unprecedented since A New Hope. Seriously look up when Kenner were selling empty Star Wars toy boxes with printed IOUs.

That said, along came Andor and proved that you can breathe new like into Star Wars and make top tier quality stories. And honestly, with the Skywalker saga bled dry, Star Wars needs to cut the fan service pandering and tell new and different stories to feel like a vast galaxy far far away again. But baby Yoda is a big selling point so....

TL/DR: Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.
Damn.. 😁

While I really enjoyed the prequels and most Legends novels, (they got me on board of the Star Wars train) you're really not wrong.

And I totally agree, they should've left the Skywalker alone and start from scratch in the far future or somewhere in the past.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
At any rate, she's suing for wrongful termination and defamation of character, which with how Lucasfilm and her agent handled her firing, and how the Twitter mob attacked her following the incident she most definitely has a case.
But it can’t be wrongful termination, can it? I’m not sure any actual laws were violated there.

I’m not familiar with the case, but what defamation is she referring to? At the time, I didn’t hear anything about it from the company side - only her and news articles.

brector

Reaction score
But it can’t be wrongful termination, can it? I’m not sure any actual laws were violated there.

I’m not familiar with the case, but what defamation is she referring to? At the time, I didn’t hear anything about it from the company side - only her and news articles.
One more time since pilkkkilla can't read: SHE WAS NOT FIRED. THEY DID NOT EXTEND HER CONTRACT.
And if you want to dig even further, they gave her at least two opportunities to stop being an dumbass, and she declined both.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
One more time since pilkkkilla can't read: SHE WAS NOT FIRED. THEY DID NOT EXTEND HER CONTRACT.
And if you want to dig even further, they gave her at least two opportunities to stop being an dumbass, and she declined both.

Can you cite an actual reference?

According to her, one of the "chances" was a zoom call with 40 LGBT persons primed to interrogate her. Not exactly a fair shake if that's true.

brector

Reaction score

According to her, one of the "chances" was a zoom call with 40 LGBT persons primed to interrogate her. Not exactly a fair shake if that's true.
Sure. First, are you going to admit she wasn't fired?

brector

Reaction score

But while I am waiting
According to Disney:
She had a contract with a morality clause that said she could be fired for saying things that went against the clause. She was informed by her bosses multiple times that they were not comfortable with her statements. She was then asked to meet with GLAAD, she refused. She was then asked to meet with staff members, she again refused.

wankerness

Reaction score
She refused to put pronouns in her Twitter bio.

When she executed "free speech" she posted a pic of jews being beaten and oppressed by their neighbors in Lwów, while at the same time Pedro Pascal was posting toxic stuff.

At any rate, she's suing for wrongful termination and defamation of character, which with how Lucasfilm and her agent handled her firing, and how the Twitter mob attacked her following the incident she most definitely has a case.
Even if she HAD been fired (she wasn't), the "twitter mob" (ironic now that Twitter is now a right-wing cesspool of blue checks responding to everything you find) being linked to Disney "firing" her would be impossible. A bunch of independent people said mean things to her on Twitter after she left the show? OH NO! That sounds like grounds for a LAWSUIT!! Or wait, are you saying those people that said mean things to her on the internet didn't have the right to free speech?

The way I see it this is like if an employee was showing up to a snooty office job every day in sweatpants and crocs and ignoring repeated complaints from management that this was against the company's culture, blah blah and he just continued until being fired, at which point he tried to sue them when he knew damn well what the problem was and just kept instigating it. Only hear the sweatpants are bigotry and the crocs are anti-vax conspiracy nonsense and the firing was just not renewing a contract.
Oh, and this all got announced right before Disney's earnings call.

I hope the company burns and they have to sell the Lucasfilm rights off, and Kathleen Kennedy gets fired immediately.
Someone's been listening to right wing outrage screeds on youtube!! Disney's horribly mishandled star wars, the sequel trilogy was a horrible misfire thanks to not writing everything out before they started making the damn movies (god that third movie is bad), they also massively oversaturated the market by having a movie every year, I've never watched a single one of their stupid Disney+ series and I don't think I ever will, but when their main political opposition is misinformed lunatics it really almost makes you forget how evil of a company they are. And Kathleen Kennedy is the same as most of those management types - she made tons of money over the decades and thus will probably never be fired no matter how much she pisses off people on the internet. See also: basically any CEO, ex Bobby Kotick (he's only being "fired" now cause his company was bought out).

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. First, are you going to admit she wasn't fired?

Just to satiate your ego? Nah bud, you can GFY with the petty bullshit.

I'll wait for the results of the lawsuit.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yup, I think it's ending with the Mando movie which from what I've heard from others is basically two seasons overdue; at minimum, one. Once they brought in the OG characters in S2, it should've been quits, mission accomplished.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'm actually completely surprised it was ever as good as it was. If the movie is as good or better that's a win all things considered.

Would really have loved a whole 'nother season to dig into, though. I have spoken.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Yup, I think it's ending with the Mando movie which from what I've heard from others is basically two seasons overdue; at minimum, one. Once they brought in the OG characters in S2, it should've been quits, mission accomplished.
I did enjoy S3 but I have to agree, the fact that they decided not to wrap it up in S2 just made it feel like they were gonna drag it out forever. The whole Grogu emotional-attatchment not-having-a-Jedi-to-train-him thing is giving me big Anakin vibes, hard not to think it's gonna end at Darth Yoda which, yeesh. I get that he's not supposed to be sympathetic, but I was a lot happier with Mando's decision-making when I thought S2 was it. When I saw Grogu come back I was just like, this kid is fucked.

I think another thing that helps Andor is that there is a definitive, pre-ordained ending. Very little room to drag it out and flog fan service.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Once I saw Grogu return I also got a, "They're gonna ride this one aspect of the main storyline, and all the other great chances they had to elaborate on the world and characters are gonna fall away as it ends quickly" sort of vibe. Realizing now that's kinda why I came in here asking about it.

It's got to be one of their most popular mainstream series, though. Hopefully this time they aren't even gonna try to fuck the golden goose before they kill it. Just give us a decent ending and I'll be happy.