The mind is a funny thing

• Thread starter sevenstringj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
When I first got into 8-string and was trying a bunch of strings, I recorded some wanking just to A-B. As I listened back I thought "the .074 does sound more guitarish and bit clearer." I looked to the left where the track names are and was like, "oh, that's the .080???" :lol:

Same thing just happened with pickups. I had an 81-8 in the bridge and got a 57-8 to try. I had already recorded a little with the 81, so I recorded the same thing with the 57, all the same settings on everything. As I started to A-B them I thought "WOW! The 57 is soooo sweet, so rich, so articulate... and DAT NOTE SEPARATION!" You know, pretty much everything I've read about it. Then I get to the end of the track and think "wait, that was perfect, and I know I just fucked up, twice. Hold on...." Sure enough I got 'em mixed up. So of course I'm now trying to hear what I'm supposed to hear. :rolleyes: And strangely enough, it's kinda working. :ugh:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
So you're saying the 81 gives you better note separation than the 57?
Goes on to show how big a role placebo actually plays in tone perception. Like everything else :lol:

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
I think the 808 gives better note separation than the 57-8!

So I'm thinking of switching back to 808s. :rolleyes:

Lemons

Reaction score
Similar situation when people pretty much copy and paste glowing recommendations and pickup descriptions directly from the manufactures site without ever even playing them.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Same reason every time someone knocks a band for using AxeFX or any kind of modeling thing, I always tell them "Next album you listen to, assume the artist used AxeFX, you will make yourself hate their tone no matter how good it is."

Though, to be fair, every comparison video I've ever heard of EMG's they pretty much all sound the same. The differences there are MUCH more subtle than, say, the difference between a Tone Zone and Steve's Special.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Pretty much every engineer has had the experience of turning a knob, hearing the "desired" change in the sound, then realizing they were adjusting something on the wrong channel. So much of "perception" of self-generated.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I've been there.

I've actually done the sort of the opposite, too.

The best way IME to love your tone tomorrow is to remember it sounding super sh!tty today.