The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
Yeah and not sure the Kelly speaks to everyone. Guess we'll never see Broderick star/V shape!
but yeah pretty sure they'll have new colors etc later as for now it's weird not to see them communicate on sig models.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I had a pretty big bonner for those mj dinkys until I took a closer look. $2k first of all is a pretty long way from the 5-600 bucks the old DK2s used to go for. Second, wtf is up with binding only the headstock and nothing else?

Sumsar

Reaction score
Oh boy, hopefully that means in a few weeks

Yeah I am also exited for that. From the video it looks like a flat top soloist 7 in ash, same finish as the Kelly and with pointy headstock, non-reversed, his sig duncans and a floyd. Pretty much what I expected, but hoped it would be an arch top model. Curios as to the scale length?

Regarding the Broderick models, yeah he is no longer in Megadeth, and Act of Defiance is on hold, but that is because he has been touring with In Flames for the past 2 years or something like that? I don't know if he is a permanent member, but he did feature in a music from them, so I guess so? He actually teased on instagram that he was working on something guitar protoype stuff. He might be working on a 6 string model that fits more for In Flames mayhaps?
Not listening to either band, but isn't In Flames > Megadeth these days? Atleast for people under 35? Might depend if you are in europe or the US.

Video is here btw:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I had a pretty big bonner for those mj dinkys until I took a closer look. $2k first of all is a pretty long way from the 5-600 bucks the old DK2s used to go for. Second, wtf is up with binding only the headstock and nothing else?

I refuse to believe anyone expected MIJ quality from Jackson in 2020 to compete with anything less than the ESP EII range or better.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I refuse to believe anyone expected MIJ quality from Jackson in 2020 to compete with anything less than the ESP EII range or better.
I mean, when they said competitive prices, I thought something like Ibanez Genesis or something. Otherwise, what is competitive about it? Does the $2k Jackson come with a hard case? Because the 1800$ EII and Prestige Ibanez do.

Also wtf is up with schecter? They are running behind.

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be fair Chushin was basically breaking even at best on those bolt-on MIJs, if not selling at a loss at that price.

Wc707

Reaction score
Yeah I am also exited for that. From the video it looks like a flat top soloist 7 in ash, same finish as the Kelly and with pointy headstock, non-reversed, his sig duncans and a floyd. Pretty much what I expected, but hoped it would be an arch top model. Curios as to the scale length?

Regarding the Broderick models, yeah he is no longer in Megadeth, and Act of Defiance is on hold, but that is because he has been touring with In Flames for the past 2 years or something like that? I don't know if he is a permanent member, but he did feature in a music from them, so I guess so? He actually teased on instagram that he was working on something guitar protoype stuff. He might be working on a 6 string model that fits more for In Flames mayhaps?
Not listening to either band, but isn't In Flames > Megadeth these days? Atleast for people under 35? Might depend if you are in europe or the US.

Video is here btw:

Yeah, no surprise at all but its damn sexy. Im guessing its 26.5 considering thats what his other sigs were. I doubt he'd change much for his 7 preference.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
That actually was the guitar that was used to record most of Master of Puppets IIRC. When the tour actually started, he went back to using his Explorer and regulated the KV to C# for performing Thing That Should Not Be and pretty much retired ~1987/1988 I believe.

2914413576_jac_ins_frt_01_rr.png

j0706_1.jpg

8904gp.jpg
My inner Hetfield has been triggered. I have lusted for this guitar for decades.
It is finally time.:D

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I mean, when they said competitive prices, I thought something like Ibanez Genesis or something. Otherwise, what is competitive about it? Does the $2k Jackson come with a hard case? Because the 1800$ EII and Prestige Ibanez do.

Also wtf is up with schecter? They are running behind.
I don't think anyone knows whether they come with a case yet. I would hope so for that price. Jackson has been skimpy on cases for many years though.

Also, the price is a combination of several factors. Firstly, labor. Labor is basically just as expensive in Japan as the US or Europe. The old MIJ Pro series was unprofitable big time by the year of its discontinuation. Also, market separation. They need to be priced higher than the pro series with different features to avoid eating into their own sales. Finally, they're clearly positioning these as competitive with EII and Ibanez Prestige, AND making them the de facto replacement for USA Select.

As I've said before USA Select Jacksons don't actually get produced anymore. They exist only as base models for custom select and master built customs. MJ series becomes Jackson's high end production line, replacing USA Select.

I love me some Jacksons, but unless there are more finishes available and/or 7 strings these aren't terribly interesting to me. However, this is just a first run. I'd imagine more finishes will come later. I also wonder if dealers will price them as advertised by Jackson. That's not MSRP on the website, it's est. Street price. Which is interesting, I don't think they've done that before.

Last edited:

olejason

Reaction score
As of now dealers are selling preorders at the street prices quoted on Jackson's site so, at least for now, that appears to be the real price.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
If they would do something about the weird binding, either bind the fretboard or ditch the headstock binding, do full sharkfins, and have a good case, I would be all about that dinky reverse.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not MSRP on the website, it's est. Street price. Which is interesting, I don't think they've done that before.

It's the current MAP.

More manufacturers are moving away from MSRP, as it's sort of an outdated concept. They should have eschewed it years ago.

They say "estimate" because they withhold the right to change that price and give authorized dealers the ability to adjust pricing through incentives.

But, you won't find them advertised for less, so MAP.