The new guy

• Thread starter Mario88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mario88

Reaction score
Hi guys. This might be the wrong place to post this kind of question, but I figure many of you being gearheads "might" also be technologically minded on a more general scale.

Ok.. Im looking to get a new macbook pro for writing, I quite like the look of "Ableton" (software). I know a lot of people use qbase or protools or whatever but Ableton seems pretty user friendly, and I like what ive seen.

On the other hand I kinda need an imac for some webdesign stuff that I have recently gotten into. Now am I correct in thinking that new processors are coming out in the new year that will supercede intelcore?

If so then im thinking of holding out until the new year for an imac. The macbook pro on the other hand is something that I can ideally carry around with me everywhere I go, being smaller.

what I am not sure on however is whether I should also wait until the new year for a macbook pro with a new processor, and whether or not I will need the running speed, and extra memory. From this statement alone you can probably tell im the village idiot when it comes to technology. :eek:

Would it be better to save money and rely on one device to do both things? i.e. waiting until new year for a big-imac! :hbang:

Or should I just get a macbook pro now for music, and if so how much memory would be ideal?

Aside from this I have been talking to someone (brief encounter) about soundcards, and for the life of me that information has fizzled out :wallbash:
but we talked about getting acoustic recordings into your computer interface, I think they mentioned something about soundcards. When I say acoustic keep in mind I do mean as in "not converting to mp3" (digital format) just so you can have a mix of the two recording formats amongst your ideas.

For the mother of holy pancakes I hope what I just wrote makes sense to you all! im a big noob right now, and I have decided to ask here rather than a more computer orientated site out of the sheer preference of this site being one of the best out there.

So go on. Flame me for not making my first post about guitars :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Well, most signs I see point to the new Macbook Pros having a complete redesign to be like the airs, with the possibility of switching to SSD, meaning less hard drive space for more speed. So take that as you will.

Personally, I have an iMac and a MBP, both 09s with very similar spec. As a graphic designer myself I'd say you're much better off with the iMac, the 1080p + screen definitely trumps whatever the 13" and un-upgraded 15" screens display (and even then, it'd beat the upgraded 15" screens)

I'd recommend perhaps waiting until the new gens release, I think iMacs usually release before the MBPs, maybe? I forget.

As far as recording goes. You can't go wrong with 'Logic' for compatibility and usability (seeing as it's mac only) and I know many live by it.

For the hardware side of recording, almost anything made by Presonus is a safe purchase, but do your research, and see what you need.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Macbook deal since I haven't been keeping up to date and still use a 2006 MBP 17", but I do tons of recording and swear by Ableton Live. I've used nearly every bit of software around in professional environments, and running a studio I'd prob recommend Nuendo (or Logic), but for smaller scale stuff Live is perfect. A lot of people think it's only for loops, but you can do linear recording as well, and utilize loops for getting ideas down quickly. One license will give you 5(?) installs, so you can have it on a Mac and PC no problem. It's great!

Mario88

Reaction score
just found out the new mbp's wont have an optical disk drive, I cant work out in my mind whether or not this is actually going to be a problem.

Im possibly looking at a summer 2012 release though, that is a long time, but correct me if im wrong also but has the mbp just been updated?

defo gonna be waiting til next year for the next imac, for the webdesign stuff, but I defo need something portable for music, ideally with both logic and ableton.

why do some people use many of the different softwares for recording though? Im new to all this stuff so I get lost easily.

Well, most signs I see point to the new Macbook Pros having a complete redesign to be like the airs, with the possibility of switching to SSD, meaning less hard drive space for more speed. So take that as you will.

Personally, I have an iMac and a MBP, both 09s with very similar spec. As a graphic designer myself I'd say you're much better off with the iMac, the 1080p + screen definitely trumps whatever the 13" and un-upgraded 15" screens display (and even then, it'd beat the upgraded 15" screens)

I'd recommend perhaps waiting until the new gens release, I think iMacs usually release before the MBPs, maybe? I forget.

As far as recording goes. You can't go wrong with 'Logic' for compatibility and usability (seeing as it's mac only) and I know many live by it.

For the hardware side of recording, almost anything made by Presonus is a safe purchase, but do your research, and see what you need.

Mario88

Reaction score
OK this is doing my head in know, ive just read somewhere else that the new mbp's will be out early 2012! not summer, I can hold out for the imac no matter when its out in the new year, but its the music stuff im worried about, obviously I need my ports which I dont think the air has (could be wrong) an all in one would be great but I can trapes an imac round everywhere with me. Need some serious noob advice guys.

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
I find serious work much easier to get done on a desktop, but that's just my opinion. Can't help you much with Mac stuff, I'm a build your own PC type guy. Keep in mind you can always get an external optical drive.

Mario88

Reaction score
I might save my money and go all in one, i.e just wait for 2012 imac, and use it for everything but any reccomendations for ram? keeping in mind ill be using it for web design, possibly graphics, and serious music stuff too?

also if I get a mbp would it be easy enough to transfer to the desktop?? i.e say ive been travelling around or I use an mbp for gigs, but do most of my writing on my desktop at home....

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
I'm puzzled. What makes the iMac better for web desgin purposes? Other than the better screen ofc. With mbp you could just buy another monitor to use at home and keep the portability. Afaik, coding/2D-design doesn't demand too much from the hardware, so the audio stuff would be what determines how much power you'll need. It's a whole different story if you're going to edit video or do 3D-modeling though.

Just be sure about what you really want before you buy anything. I know that I personally wouldn't get the iMac because right now portability is a big thing on my list of needs.

Mario88

Reaction score
Its just something I thought might be a good idea, as I havve heard rumours that new processors are coming out in 2012, I guess I could get a mbp then, bearing in mind ill be using it for 1 - webdesign 2 - music stuff (ableton, logic, saving even my most sketchy of ideas) 3 - will be looking to go into graphic design at some point.

The main thing is I dont want any slowness, and like I said im new to this kind of stuff which means im going off of bits and pieces of information I have found, and that I have had given to me thus far, one of the things I was told was processing speed is a big thing for webdesign, although do crrect me if im wrong on this as im only a noob :(

I'm puzzled. What makes the iMac better for web desgin purposes? Other than the better screen ofc. With mbp you could just buy another monitor to use at home and keep the portability. Afaik, coding/2D-design doesn't demand too much from the hardware, so the audio stuff would be what determines how much power you'll need. It's a whole different story if you're going to edit video or do 3D-modeling though.

Just be sure about what you really want before you buy anything. I know that I personally wouldn't get the iMac because right now portability is a big thing on my list of needs.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
... one of the things I was told was processing speed is a big thing for webdesign, although do crrect me if im wrong on this as im only a noob :(
The way I see it, webdesign doesn't demand nearly as much from your CPU as editing audio does. What you need for webdesign is indeed a good (and big) screen.

What you will need more than in normal use is RAM, since you'll probably be running multiple programs at the same time + photoshop will benefit from a decent amount of ram. Here iMac beats MBP, since it can have up to 16GB of ram instead of MBP's 8GB. 8 GB should be plenty for webdesign.. Audio stuff: if you're going to run a gazilliong VSTs, then more ram would probably be advised.

Take my words with caution, I'm by no means a pro when it comes to computers. There is surely more tech-oriented folk around here somewhere, perhaps in the recording studio section (?)

Mario88

Reaction score
ok well this is good to know, but can bump up the ram on a mbp, and get an external monitor?
QUOTE=Ikiharmaa;2729801]The way I see it, webdesign doesn't demand nearly as much from your CPU as editing audio does. What you need for webdesign is indeed a good (and big) screen.

What you will need more than in normal use is RAM, since you'll probably be running multiple programs at the same time + photoshop will benefit from a decent amount of ram. Here iMac beats MBP, since it can have up to 16GB of ram instead of MBP's 8GB. 8 GB should be plenty for webdesign.. Audio stuff: if you're going to run a gazilliong VSTs, then more ram would probably be advised.

Take my words with caution, I'm by no means a pro when it comes to computers. There is surely more tech-oriented folk around here somewhere, perhaps in the recording studio section (?)[/QUOTE]

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
yep, up to 8GB that is. With iMac you could bump it up to 16 GB.

If I were you, I'd try and find information on other people's studio setups. What are they able to do with their setups? And then compare that information to what you want to be able to do with your setup.