The New Opeth?

• Thread starter DXL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
Okay so I found this band called Guillotine from India. Their debut album came out not too long ago but I'm just discovering it. It literally sounds exactly like the Opeth that I know a lot of people have missed for a while now, like Still Life era or even Ghost Reveries. It is absolutely fantastic.

EDIT: Just made it further into the album and there is a s**t ton of In Flames and Moonspell influence. Someone please sign these guys I really want them to become the biggest s**t ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
It literally sounds exactly like the Opeth that I know a lot of people have missed for a while now, like Still Life era or even Ghost Reveries. It is absolutely fantastic.

Why a band that, according to you sounds exactly like another band is absolutely fantastic?!
To me it's crap, if I wanted to listen to Opeth, I'd listen to Opeth and not to a crap clone without anything new, creativity or personality.
Your opinion about it sounds weird to me, maybe some love clones who knows? :scratch:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
This is refreshingly awesome! Some definite "My Arms, Your Hearse" moments to be had.

Cnev

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what's so interesting or notable about a band that chooses to blatantly mimic another, especially to the extent they do. Opeth's old music still exists and is certainly still relevant and worth listening to.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I can certainly see the similarities to Opeth, but I think they're a lot more distinct than a lot of you are suggesting, and that it does them a horrible disservice to talk about them as if they were a simple clone. Have any of the people who are talking shit about them for being a clone actually listened to the music to form their own opinion, or are they just taking the OP at face value?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I haven't listened yet, but, what if Opeth isn't making the same style of music anymore and a musician wants to explore that sound with different musical ideas? I'm glad to inform you guys that this is the basis of nearly every piece of music you have ever heard.

Enjoy it for what it is, instead of hating it for sounding like something else. I think that's weirder than liking it because it sounds like music you love. Call me crazy.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The further I get into this album, the more I know that the comparisons are immaterial. The intro to the song that starts at 18:48 of the Youtube vid above is one of tastiest, most headbanging bits of melodeath I've heard in a long time.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
If you like a particular band's style on certain albums, isn't listening to more of that kinda music cool? Why does everything have to be groundbreaking? Everything comes from something else anyway. In metal we're just moving around the last unexplored territories at the moment, now all the stuff people actually enjoyed and bought has been finished. That doesn't mean that producing a record just because you enjoy playing that style, for people who enjoy that style, is in some way bad. Good on these guys.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
If you're looking for old-school Opethy stuff, can't do better than Fen IMO. Definite Opeth influence but still very much their own sort of vibe:

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Man this is one of the reasons I believe Opeth is one of the greatest metal bands - they carved out a style and signature sound that is entirely unmistakeable. I admit the beginning of this track is totally Opeth, and they are totally influenced by them for sure. Thanks for posting :)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I haven't listened yet, but, what if Opeth isn't making the same style of music anymore and a musician wants to explore that sound with different musical ideas? I'm glad to inform you guys that this is the basis of nearly every piece of music you have ever heard.

Enjoy it for what it is, instead of hating it for sounding like something else. I think that's weirder than liking it because it sounds like music you love. Call me crazy.

A winner is you

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Not a fan, but that's b/c I simply can't get into this vocal style. Nothing negative against it...just not for me. I also like Heritage and Pale Communion the best out of Opeth's library (musical direction, lack of growly vox helps). These guys are good and wish them success, regardless of how much they do/don't sound like Opeth (or anyone else).

We can only borrow so much from our influences before we start sounding like them. It's the nature of music. It's very difficult to come up with something that doesn't sound like anyone else.

DXL

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what's so interesting or notable about a band that chooses to blatantly mimic another, especially to the extent they do. Opeth's old music still exists and is certainly still relevant and worth listening to.

I freaking love Pale Communion just as much as the old stuff. But do I still think old Opeth is amazing? Hell yeah I do, and I love the fact that there's this band out there picking up where old Opeth left off. Now it's like we have both Opeth styles being made at the same time.

Inverted11

Reaction score
I freaking love Pale Communion just as much as the old stuff. But do I still think old Opeth is amazing? Hell yeah I do, and I love the fact that there's this band out there picking up where old Opeth left off. Now it's like we have both Opeth styles being made at the same time.

As a side note, I have to agree, it's different, but having just listened to Pale Communion, I think it's pretty great! It's good to see a band exploring newer musical directions (unlike what I just discovered with Arch Enemy - pretty disgusting!.. I guess that's old news though..)

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't have time to listen to this anytime soon but from skipping around and listening to 20 or 30 riffs I'd say only about a third of them sound like Opeth at all, they're definitely not Opeth clones. All the people who didn't listen to it on the basis of the OP's claim of "literally sounds exactly" like Opeth can calm down :D I will have to listen to it one of these days. I HATE Moonspell, I hope I don't notice much of that coming in there AHHHH PEEEOOM!!!!! DESIRE OR WILL?!

DXL

Reaction score
I don't have time to listen to this anytime soon but from skipping around and listening to 20 or 30 riffs I'd say only about a third of them sound like Opeth at all, they're definitely not Opeth clones. All the people who didn't listen to it on the basis of the OP's claim of "literally sounds exactly" like Opeth can calm down :D I will have to listen to it one of these days. I HATE Moonspell, I hope I don't notice much of that coming in there AHHHH PEEEOOM!!!!! DESIRE OR WILL?!

I posted that statement when I still had the first track on my mind :lol: and yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Moonspell either but you hear it in some of the gothic undertones. The middle of the album strays pretty far from Opeth though.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Man this is one of the reasons I believe Opeth is one of the greatest metal bands - they carved out a style and signature sound that is entirely unmistakeable.
I've heard a lot of bands that people have compared to Opeth, but I've never heard a band that I thought really SOUNDED like Opeth. There are certain stylistic elements that are definitely similar between Opeth and bands like Agalloch, Enslaved, Orphaned Land, Fen and Guillotine, but all of them are pretty distinct musically. A lot of these bands may even share a lot of the same influences as Opeth, but if so, they do something different with them than Opeth did. You could listen to Fen, for example, and identify some traits that are like Opeth, but at the same time get the sense that Mikael would have written it differently.

Latest posts