The OG Periphery Signature Model Triumvirate!

• Thread starter HighGain510
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently picked up an Ibanez JBM100, so I guess I'm overdue for a family shot! :D Here's the Jackson HT6 Bulb Edition in Laguna Blueburst, PRS Holcomb Sig in Jade and Ibanez JBM100 in Satin Black:

8D37607A-8BC0-4B97-9EC1-FD91F31FEA43_zpspbk4ihcp.jpg

3DA8011A-15E0-48D0-B0F3-8851D378919F_zpsjnhnasdt.jpg

DAT OG Periphery Signature Model Triumvirate! :wub: Yes, the watermarks are back... unfortunately I've run into issues where idiots on the web are stealing my pictures and attempting to "sell" MY guitars to kiddies on the internet who then come looking for ME when they search for my pictures and realize they weren't talking to me but instead got scammed. :rolleyes: It's happened more than once, so sadly I guess this is what is has come to!

Unfortunately my SLR is on the fritz, so for now it's just iPhone shots! :lol: I also have to do a run with my alternate group (Jackson HT6 Bulb Edition in Silverburst Sparkle, Jackson HT7 Bulb Edition in Laguna Blueburst and PRS Holcomb in Jade) but it takes a bit to dig out all the cases so I'll save that for later.

I'm sure someone will ask "which one is your favorite?", so I'll just go ahead and answer that as best I can now! :) Right now, for me personally, it's a toss-up between the Jackson and the PRS. I'll list the pros/cons (from my perspective, of course) for each one:

Jackson HT:

Pros - Neck carve is fantastic! Stock pickups work well in both alder/maple and basswood versions (particularly loving my basswood one, actually!), stainless steel frets are perfection! All three of mine are fairly light, not sure if that's true across the board but I have an alder 6 and 7 and a basswood 6 so I'd say it's a decent sample size. :) The 11-56 strings on here help the tone to stay chunky on the higher gain stuff too.

Cons - Jackson seems to clearcoat over the edge of the nut... I had actually planned to grab another one to put into a higher tuning but it would require a new nut since the stock one is slotted for 11-56 gauge strings and I'd be using thinner strings so that just wouldn't work out well. I think the only *legit* negative I can think of for the HT's is the hardshell case... personally I think they LOOK badass, but whoever they used for these (I don't think it was TKL since they feel quite a bit more flimsy than TKL cases do and they all came with a "Made in China" sticker... :lol:) seemed to skimp on the materials used for the actual case itself. The lining looks badass, so on a higher quality case it would have been solid. Honestly I think they would have been just fine going with one of the Jackson ABS cases (like the MusicMan style cases) since those feel a bit more solid and don't have cheaper-feeling case latches. Again, not the end of the world, but if I were touring with mine, I'd likely opt for a different case. :)

PRS Holcomb:

Pros - Love just about everything on this guy! Stock pickups are amazing (the split cleans are killer and the clarity on huge chords is fantastic), the thinner strings help the guitar to seem like it plays faster. :lol: The 20" radius on this guy feels great for playability when combined with the thinner strings too.

Cons - The PRS fretwork is perfect as always, but I do wish they would have bent the rules and gone with stainless steel frets on this one. Little disappointed there but it is what it is. The satin clearcoat looks and feels great, but the top obviously doesn't pop quite as much as it would if it were glossed so that's a *slight* bummer of course. :rofl: Not my sig, so not my call, just throwing it out there! I was hoping these would have had unique cases since they were a limited run and all, but they just come with the standard PRS hardshell case which isn't bad... however they do so many cool custom cases for Wood Library models and the such that I would have loved to see something unique pop up for these. :)

Ibanez JBM100:

Pros - Neck carve is the thinnest of the trio, but it's not uncomfortable by any means which is normally a concern for me with thinner necks. :yesway: The setup on mine is super low but no buzzing and the Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge is obviously part of why I wanted one of these! :D One of the best floating trems on the market still for a reason! :metal: The tone with the stock Titans isn't bad, but out of the three I'd say it's my least favorite-sounding stock... that being said, I already have a set of Ceramic Nailbombs here so my plan is to drop those into my JBM and I think my only gripe with the guitar will no longer be an issue. :D The satin black finish on this guy feels solid, a little less "smooth" than the PRS satin so it feels like it would withstand "glossing up" over time a little better. The guitar is heavy so it feels very solid overall. The stock Ibanez Prestige ABS hardshell case is honestly my favorite of the three cases, these things stand up to abuse pretty well and the form-fitted interior keeps the guitar nice and snug which is what you want! I would have been okay if all three brands used this kind of case, it does it's job of protecting your instrument well so I'm glad Jake opted for these cases on his sig! :yesway: The Sperzel locking tuners work well and pairing that up with a locking nut means tuning stability for days. :cool:

Cons - The Titan set isn't my cup of tea it seems, I installed a set into an alder ESP Custom Shop I bought a while back and they smoked! Not sure why these didn't sound quite as good in the guitar they were designed around, maybe I just got a dud set. :lol: They aren't *bad* sounding by any means, I guess it might not be a fair comparison when A/B'ing it with scatter-wound BKPs or Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickups. Like I said above, I can swap pickups out so at the end of the day the guitar itself is SOLID so a pickup swap isn't the end of the world. Speaking of solid, mine is well over 8lbs+ in weight, so if you're looking for a light guitar, this might not be it. :lol: I saw another one that Sweetwater has in stock right now and it's also over 8lbs so I don't know if it's just coincidence or if they're all a little hefty. ;) Again not a dig at Ibanez because their Prestige fretwork is top notch, but I would have loved to see this one get stainless steel frets. :( That being said, the stock nickel silver frets are great so if I ever wear them down enough to justify a refret, I'll have my go-to fret guy drop some SS fres on there and be all set.

Overall, you can't go wrong with any of these guitars really! I'm a big Periphery fan and Misha has been a friend for a long time so I'm happy to see them all succeed the way they have in Periphery! It's great to see all three guitarist get sig models with quality brands and put out some killer guitars I'm super happy to own! Each one feels, sounds and plays unique so there is really something out there for everyone!

I actually have a third Holcomb too but that one is with the PRS PTC to be routed for an Original Floyd Rose and then off to Marty Bell for a sweet refin, but more on that later... :D

I'll probably drop some more pictures when I have a chance to put them together. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Awesome collection! thanks for the review! that's too bad about the jacksons clear coat. Seems to be in line with my experience with USA jackson guitars.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome collection! thanks for the review! that's too bad about the jacksons clear coat. Seems to be in line with my experience with USA jackson guitars.

Yeah I guess it's not so much an "issue", just makes it more difficult to swap nuts out in the future (and when you do, you have to be VERY careful with an exacto knife and that doesn't guarantee that you won't botch the job if a piece of clearcoat decides to flake off! :lol:). If you're buying it to keep the stock tuning and strings, it's a total non-issue. :yesway: Just something worth noting as not all guitars are like that, so if you're thinking about stuff like that, it's something to consider.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
FANBOY!!!! :fawk:

Seriously though awesome collection, now chop chop and let's see the rest of them :lol:

I don't think I'd claim otherwise! :lol: Been a fan since back when Misha was working on Meshuggah covers out of his apartment! :rofl: :wub:

Since I'm still stuck at home I figured I'd drop the rest of them while I have the time:

Two Holcombs and a Silverburst Bulb walk into a bar... :lol:

BEDB743C-6146-498B-BCCC-03E9890CFF3D_zps6scss4bj.jpg

My trio of Bulb Edition Juggernauts! :flex:

D64325A6-3886-48F3-83E9-19CEDEB9AA3D_zpsod65q6pu.jpg

I've been trying to make a concerted effort to swap out my guitars every couple days so it's not the same one getting a workout for a week at a time, it's been great running through the Holcombs and Bulbs again! :yum: They're just such awesome guitars! :hbang: The JBM has only been here for a few weeks so I'm still getting acquainted, but no regrets on that one and it's definitely going to stick around! :D

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
How big of a tonal difference is there between the Laguna Burst and Silver Burst Misha's?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Thanks for the extensive review of each instrument!
Now we just need a picture of your other Periphery sigs together with these ones for maximum GAS factor :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Yeah I guess it's not so much an "issue", just makes it more difficult to swap nuts out in the future (and when you do, you have to be VERY careful with an exacto knife and that doesn't guarantee that you won't botch the job if a piece of clearcoat decides to flake off! :lol:). If you're buying it to keep the stock tuning and strings, it's a total non-issue. :yesway: Just something worth noting as not all guitars are like that, so if you're thinking about stuff like that, it's something to consider.

Ah good point! :yesway:

bouVIP

Reaction score
Such beautiful guitars. Wish I didn't miss out on the Holcombs and you're making me want a HT6 now!!!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Such beautiful guitars. Wish I didn't miss out on the Holcombs and you're making me want a HT6 now!!!

Thanks man! They're both solid choices, at least you can still get your pick of the HT's! :D

Out of control Matt. Now where's a Nolly Bass and the Orange ht6? :lol:

Thanks Mike! :D I actually do still want a Nolly bass in fact, just haven't grabbed one just yet! :lol: The Orange HT6 is glorious but since I have an alder one already I can't convince myself to to grab a fourth Juggernaut HT (even though I absolutely love the finish! :yum:). :rofl:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
That's gotta be the best Holcomb-burst of that entire run.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
My man! BRB, I'm going to show my wife your collection, and hopefully get a green light for another purchase.

Latest posts