The RG7 mods ultimate thread

• Thread starter OneTwoThrill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
This guy's been my main squeeze since last year, small dot 1527, blaze set, rewired for H-S-H. Pretty much a more modern universe thingie.
I am looking into changing the trem as it has been through the ringer, does anyone know any replacement? I'm also thinking about having an ash body built for it dyed with a simple black stain with a black aluminum pickguard.
View attachment 140992
If you are in the European Union you can get a replacement Edge Pro 7 from meinl in Germany. They have tons of replacement Ibanez parts.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you are in the European Union you can get a replacement Edge Pro 7 from meinl in Germany. They have tons of replacement Ibanez parts.
I am well aware of that but extremely unfortunately I live in Greece and for some odd reason they just won't ship the damn thing, I might have to talk with the local Ibanez dealers.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I bought a Royal Blue RG1527 (small dot) earlier this year. The only mod by the previous owner was a pickup swap: Crunch Lab + Sentient. I wouldn't have chosen either pickup and may well end up replacing them eventually (I'm thinking maybe Illuminators or Titans, to be slightly different to the D Activators in my other 7-string), but I'm making do for now. From my fairly limited use so far, they seem to pair very well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I had a 7620 modded with a refinish and new maple fretboard a couple of years ago. Great guitar, though the paintjob isn't the best. The luthier who refinished it didn't strip the black poly finish completely, only sanded it to use as a base. That's some big brains reasoning. The poly finish is so hard that when you bump into the paint it doesn't dent, but it chips. At the moment it has two chips on the front that I filled with some paint, which isn't great looking. I guess I had to be a bit more specific about it. Anyway, here's a pic, without chips ;)

20151210_124646.jpg

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You hardcore modder!

I only swapped pickups and I considered myself as a modder and them this thread opened my eyes.
You are all crazy. Thank you!

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score

Sort of controversial mods on my rg7s:
none of them had 81-7s in the bridge originally, not even the hrg73 (which at least came with EMGs from the factory). I got lucky with that one and found a "wired" 81-7 dated a week apart from the stock 707s. Could there be a more period correct pickup swap? so Ibanez has apparently Never made a guitar with 100% the specs I want. The whole EMGS in rg7s thing is due to an earlier iteration of this thread on this site that I viewed at an impressionable age. The mahogany body thing is another sevenstring.org "trivial pursuit" of mine, ie will it sound better than basswood/707s (IMHO yes, but basswood 707s are Valid). ❤️‍🩹

Reaction score

Sort of controversial mods on my rg7s:
none of them had 81-7s in the bridge originally, not even the hrg73 (which at least came with EMGs from the factory). I got lucky with that one and found a "wired" 81-7 dated a week apart from the stock 707s. Could there be a more period correct pickup swap? so Ibanez has apparently Never made a guitar with 100% the specs I want. The whole EMGS in rg7s thing is due to an earlier iteration of this thread on this site that I viewed at an impressionable age. The mahogany body thing is another sevenstring.org "trivial pursuit" of mine, ie will it sound better than basswood/707s (IMHO yes, but basswood 707s are Valid). ❤️‍🩹

... am I spoting an 2127X in the mix?... sacrilege routing that guitar for active soap bars...

... just kidding... rock on!

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
... am I spoting an 2127X in the mix?... sacrilege routing that guitar for active soap bars...

... just kidding... rock on!
Yea buddy and this one's been through some stuff, the active routes hardly seem like the worst of it. Yet the whole guitar overall has plenty of life left and vibes. I'm gonna replace the tone knob with one of the EMG accessories and possibly 18v.

Reaction score
Yea buddy and this one's been through some stuff, the active routes hardly seem like the worst of it. Yet the whole guitar overall has plenty of life left and vibes. I'm gonna replace the tone knob with one of the EMG accessories and possibly 18v.
Lol, feel free to share the story...

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
There's a stock 707 in the neck on the "big dot"
hrg73. I've experimented with a 60-7 in the bridge (w/81-7 neck & EMG phase inverter) before and quite like that combo as well. Otherwise all 81-7 w/ old logos
Old logo is the way to go. The new EMG logo looks like ass.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yea! This is my kinda thread! Just got myself a RG1527 in galaxy black, small dots and crunchlab in the bridge for modding. Going to body swap and fix it up with new set of electronics layout. Going for mahogany body with maple top when I can find somewhere that'll actually build the body for me. Been surprising hard to find somewhere that'll actually do it 🥲

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
Hell yea! This is my kinda thread! Just got myself a RG1527 in galaxy black, small dots and crunchlab in the bridge for modding. Going to body swap and fix it up with new set of electronics layout. Going for mahogany body with maple top when I can find somewhere that'll actually build the body for me. Been surprising hard to find somewhere that'll actually do it 🥲
Have you hit up the eBay seller (I believe it is fivealarmguitars) they seem to be able to build any kind of Ibby replacement body. I've been thinking about it for a while you should totally be the "guinea pig"