The RG7620 Thread

trayenshreds

sweep tapz brah
Reaction score
Will post mine up shortly, have a royal blue 7620 with purple painkillers. Also got one in black coming which I'll be modding with a pickguard and either white or zebra pickups. Has anyone tried Juggernauts in their 7620? Looking at juggs, black hawks or nailbombs.

Cheers man! I'd love to hear some clips of BKPs in the 7620. I loaded mine with some DiMarzio Illuminators and those things are friggen amazing!

Where'd ya get the new 7620? I've been watching eBay pretty heavily :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kshands

Reaction score
Where'd ya get the new 7620? I've been watching eBay pretty heavily :)

Dude watch for the folks on Craigslist to make a post about a Ibanez 7 string guitar! There has been like 4 around me where people didn't know the model. They just knew it was a 7 string Ibanez MIJ. They let them go for almost bleached top soil.

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
Will post mine up shortly, have a royal blue 7620 with purple painkillers.

I NEED TO SEE AND HEAR THIS GUITAR.
Very curious to hear the Painkillers in basswood, as all the clips I've heard sounded like the Evolution (my favorite pickup ever).
Also, purple rules.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Will post mine up shortly, have a royal blue 7620 with purple painkillers. Also got one in black coming which I'll be modding with a pickguard and either white or zebra pickups. Has anyone tried Juggernauts in their 7620? Looking at juggs, black hawks or nailbombs.

I have the Juggs in mine, but it's also got a djohns74 27" conversion neck so it's not quite apples-to-apples. I'd like the neck to be a little more glassy/chimey, but it's very clear and articulate. The bridge always f#$&king sounds natural and balanced, while still being edgy. To be honest, I think the bridge is probably the best humbucker I've ever played.

The only weakness is when you split the coils: it just sounds like a thinner, lower-output version of itself but without the openness or even noise you'd expect. I imagine this has something to do with the Alnico flankers that accompany the main ceramic magnet, but what the hell do I know.

Reaction score
Oops, forgot to post mine...

,1998 Vampire Kiss in 9.5/10 condition. No dings on the body, no rust on any of the hardware. I installed a huge brass block on the trem and a set of BKP Juggernauts and this thing kicks arse. The trem block made it a lot louder and fuller and the Juggs just kill with the stock 5 way switch and new CTS pots. Super versatile guitar now

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
So I've got this old 98-99 (without the skunk stripe on the neck) RG7620 that I've had for probably ten years that sat around for atleast the last 6 or 7 as I used some of its parts for other guitars and projects. After reading this thread and the high reviews these guitars get I think I'm gonna start getting her back to playing condition.

I had a couple questions for you guys as I haven't been into Ibanez's for quite some time (I mainly play DeArmonds and Monson's). Does anyone know where I can find the output jack cover and which model number it should be? and also would black gotoh tuners off a six string RG be okay? I'm missing six of them which I gave to a friend to fix his broken guitar. After that I should be able to get it to playable condition.

Jazzedout

Reaction score
Output jack cover and tuners are the same as the Japanese 6 strings I believe.

s4tch

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the output jack cover and which model number it should be? and also would black gotoh tuners off a six string RG be okay?

Tuners are the same on the 7620 than on any other MIJ Ibanez from that era. The output jack has no cover, it's the barrel type one:

dsc2783c.jpg

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
Output jack cover and tuners are the same as the Japanese 6 strings I believe.

Awesome, thanks! I found the tuners and I think I found the plate as well, both on eBay. Can't wait to get this thing up and running.

Tuners are the same on the 7620 than on any other MIJ Ibanez from that era. The output jack has no cover, it's the barrel type one:

dsc2783c.jpg

I may have worded wrong what it is I'm looking for. I found the output jack but what I need is the "control cavity cover" on the back. It's the black plastic square that covers the cavity for the output jack with the two offset holes for mounting.

Has anyone tried SD Black Winter's in a 7620? My main goal is a single pickup black metal machine and I love the Black Winters I have in my 6 six string but the body type and woods are very different (my six is Alder / Cherry).

s4tch

Reaction score
OK, cool, I see. The official Ibanez site won't list the cover part no.:
RG7620GK

You might ask Rich@ibanezrules, he has all kinds of covers, see this page:
IBANEZ RULES!! - PARTS FOR SALE

Jack Cover JEM/RG/UV - DISCON 4PT1RG4B 4PT1RG4B 0 $8.00
" JEM/RG/UV 4PTX5A0006 4PTX5A0006 5 $8.00
" JEM/RG/UV - Aluminum 4PT1RG4BA 4PT1RG4BA 0 $40.00
" RG570 / Stretched D 4PT1RG41B 4PT1RG41B 2 $10.00
" JEM7VWH 4PT1RG4PL 4PT1RG4PL 1 $10.00
" RG - MIK / MII 4PT1CRG4B 4PT1CRG4B 1 $8.00

I think you might want the JEM/RG/UV cover, part no. 4PTX5A0006.

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
OK, cool, I see. The official Ibanez site won't list the cover part no.:
RG7620GK

You might ask Rich@ibanezrules, he has all kinds of covers, see this page:
IBANEZ RULES!! - PARTS FOR SALE

Jack Cover JEM/RG/UV - DISCON 4PT1RG4B 4PT1RG4B 0 $8.00
" JEM/RG/UV 4PTX5A0006 4PTX5A0006 5 $8.00
" JEM/RG/UV - Aluminum 4PT1RG4BA 4PT1RG4BA 0 $40.00
" RG570 / Stretched D 4PT1RG41B 4PT1RG41B 2 $10.00
" JEM7VWH 4PT1RG4PL 4PT1RG4PL 1 $10.00
" RG - MIK / MII 4PT1CRG4B 4PT1CRG4B 1 $8.00

I think you might want the JEM/RG/UV cover, part no. 4PTX5A0006.

That's exactly the cover I'm looking for!!! Thanks so much!

s4tch

Reaction score
Just sold my 3rd 7620VK a couple of weeks ago:

DSC_2406.jpg

DSC_2407.jpg

DSC_2411.jpg

DSC_2414.jpg

CrunchLab/Air Norton set, Tremol-No, perfect setup, minty bridge, great guitar. That was a feeler, but we'll have a kid and I had to pick one of this and my SLSMG, so it had to go. If I ever need a 7 again, I'll just get a 7620 or a fixed bridge version (7421/7621). Still my favorite affordable 7-string guitars.

BTW the axe is FS once again in Hungary, as the guy I sold it to needs an amp. Poor one, finally needs a loving home I guess.

AnP Hardcore

Reaction score
Here's mine. I picked it up this week-end for 300€ (about 385$). It's my first seven string and I can't stop playing it. It's so comfortable to play and it just sounds awesome. It's from 2000-2002 (3 piece neck). I'll maybe swap the pickups for some BKP Aftermath or Juggernauts. The floyd has been blocked and it's setup in Drop A. It's f***ing awesome :hbang: :shred:

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpg
    IMG_4625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
^^^ Yup.

The build quality and playability is unbelievable for the price on these.

trayenshreds

sweep tapz brah
Reaction score
Just sold my 3rd 7620VK a couple of weeks ago:

CrunchLab/Air Norton set, Tremol-No, perfect setup, minty bridge, great guitar. That was a feeler, but we'll have a kid and I had to pick one of this and my SLSMG, so it had to go. If I ever need a 7 again, I'll just get a 7620 or a fixed bridge version (7421/7621). Still my favorite affordable 7-string guitars.

BTW the axe is FS once again in Hungary, as the guy I sold it to needs an amp. Poor one, finally needs a loving home I guess.

Oh my god dude. I would have GLADLY taken this off your hands! Please let me know if you have anymore hahah.

PS: Glad to see this thread is alive and well everyone. I have some very cool info to share when I have a bit of time to make a post.
-Modifications to my 7620
-Updates on my findings while ordering replacement parts from Hoshino etc.
-Potentially I maybe possibly kinda have a second 7620 coming in the mail tomorrow... pics soon! :metal:

Oh, also here's a test video I did with my '98 7620BK:

Ibz777

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Back in the 90s I wanted an Ibanez Universe UV7PWH.
Ibanez had stopped making them and I couldn’t find a used one.

I found out from a buddy of mine that worked at GC that Ibanez was releasing a RG version of the universe.
As soon as he told me they had one, I ran down there, tried it and bought it for $1000 with a case.
I still have that RG7620BK today; it’s in 9.9 out of 10 condition.

I think RG7620s are the best bang for the buck as far as 7 strings go!

I keep my eye out for beaters to use for projects.
Here’s what I’ve got for RG7620s.

RG7620BK (my original one)
RG7620BK (10/10 I bought used)
RG7620VK Customized (VK body, GN Powder Cosmo hardware, UV777BK Pyramid neck and Gray Dimarzio TZ7/AN7)
RG7620GN Customized (Black hardware from another RG7620, Dimarzio D-Activator 7s Neck and Bridge)
RG7620BK Customized (All the parts went on an OOTS GMC7 H-S-H Swriled body, I Powder Coated most of the hardware Neon Green)
RG7620BK Customized (Waiting for Livewire Guitars to finish a GMC7 H-H Swirl on it, All the Hardware has been Powder Coated Neon Green, Dimarzio EVO7 and Blaze Neck Green and Black Zebra)
RG7620BK Customized (Waiting for Livewire Guitars to finish a RMC7 H-S-H Swirl on it, Half the hardware will be Red the rest will be Black, Dimarzio TZ7/Blaze Single/AN7)

I also have two more RG7620BKs in parts sitting here.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Back in the 90s I wanted an Ibanez Universe UV7PWH.
Ibanez had stopped making them and I couldn’t find a used one.

I found out from a buddy of mine that worked at GC that Ibanez was releasing a RG version of the universe.
As soon as he told me they had one, I ran down there, tried it and bought it for $1000 with a case.
I still have that RG7620BK today; it’s in 9.9 out of 10 condition.

I think RG7620s are the best bang for the buck as far as 7 strings go!

I keep my eye out for beaters to use for projects.
Here’s what I’ve got for RG7620s.

RG7620BK (my original one)
RG7620BK (10/10 I bought used)
RG7620VK Customized (VK body, GN Powder Cosmo hardware, UV777BK Pyramid neck and Gray Dimarzio TZ7/AN7)
RG7620GN Customized (Black hardware from another RG7620, Dimarzio D-Activator 7s Neck and Bridge)
RG7620BK Customized (All the parts went on an OOTS GMC7 H-S-H Swriled body, I Powder Coated most of the hardware Neon Green)
RG7620BK Customized (Waiting for Livewire Guitars to finish a GMC7 H-H Swirl on it, All the Hardware has been Powder Coated Neon Green, Dimarzio EVO7 and Blaze Neck Green and Black Zebra)
RG7620BK Customized (Waiting for Livewire Guitars to finish a RMC7 H-S-H Swirl on it, Half the hardware will be Red the rest will be Black, Dimarzio TZ7/Blaze Single/AN7)

I also have two more RG7620BKs in parts sitting here.

:worth:

I might have a BK coming, mint condition with mirrored pickguard and nazgul/sentient combo, anyone tried them in their 7620?