The Role of Government (Formerly Net Neutrality Thread)

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Yeah i watched that shit storm go down live. They really have no idea what they are talking about or what they are doing.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Who would've thought sharing memes and petitions online wasn't enough to stop big corporations and lobbyists from doing exactly what they wanted?

Shocking!

There is literally nothing - short of money - that would have stopped them. Calling my congressman does jack for this (clearly). This is all about money.

What I AM hoping is that Google or Apple rolls out a complete network. They could easily do it. Apple considered doing its own cell service prior to the iphone's release. Both of those companies, while interested in maximizing income in their own right, do not need various network traffic fees to make all of their profit. They could easily stop ATT/Verizon from having access to iphones. Or, they could negotiate that iphone users get full internet. But regardless, silicon valley companies are not going to like having their customers not have access. Facebook ad revenue will decrease if we have to pay a separate fee for "social media access" like in New Zealand, etc.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
0bbf909a67bb2c3f80d1d8f7e4d5f781926f59d02947b8c0bf6be6252c24cd6f.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
There is literally nothing - short of money - that would have stopped them. Calling my congressman does jack for this (clearly). This is all about money.

Oh most definitely.

I feel like given the all the 'big bads' that people have said would happen if this did go into effect, it's sort of it's own downfall and will end up biting the companies that wanted it in the ass.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Ajit Pai is a piece of garbage. Here's what I suggest: I suggest someone throw his ass in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and go, "If you pay, we'll drag you behind our boat and take you to shore. If you pay even more, we'll bring you on board. However, if you refuse to pay, you can swim your idiotic ass back with no compass, no directions, and probably end up going the wrong way."

Fucking imbecile.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
By the way, I am almost certain that Charter Spectrum was throttling certain services before this shit was even repealed. "What!? They're gonna repeal it possibly!? THROTTLE THE INTERNET!" Fucking useless twats.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
By the way, I am almost certain that Charter Spectrum was throttling certain services before this shit was even repealed. "What!? They're gonna repeal it possibly!? THROTTLE THE INTERNET!" Fucking useless twats.
Yeah I'd swear they've been throttling my internet the last year or two. It's been slower than in the past..

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah I'd swear they've been throttling my internet the last year or two. It's been slower than in the past..
The past few weeks, I've noticed the internet being up and down, and just ridiculous in general. I used an app to test the speed of my net, and it was for the most part fine, but still having issues with things. So what I did was ping certain sites, and it supported my suspicions: That some sites were being throttled while others were not.

Charter Spectrum should be ashamed of themselves -- they did this prior to it being repealed -- and when they get their asses handed to them in a court of law for these kinds of practices, AGAIN, I'll enjoy the schadenfreude it will give me.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I generally enjoy watching Alex Jones for various reasons. When he's selectively throttled for being conservative and the rest of it, I really do not want to hear him whine that he's being "discriminated against" since he was so for getting rid of NN to begin with. It's absolutely astounding how Conservatives are supporting this move just because "it's an Obama regulation of federal overreach and a power grab." And yes, I'm generally more conservative, but the idea that some sites should be held hostage because "They use up too much bandwidth" [ie, the users of our ISP is using a service that we aren't getting paid for rather than our shit cable/satellite TV], is utter bullshit. Perhaps Twitter should start charging Donald Trump since Twitter is his sounding board and podium for everything he has to say.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I generally enjoy watching Alex Jones for various reasons. When he's selectively throttled for being conservative and the rest of it, I really do not want to hear him whine that he's being "discriminated against" since he was so for getting rid of NN to begin with. It's absolutely astounding how Conservatives are supporting this move just because "it's an Obama regulation of federal overreach and a power grab." And yes, I'm generally more conservative, but the idea that some sites should be held hostage because "They use up too much bandwidth" [ie, the users of our ISP is using a service that we aren't getting paid for rather than our shit cable/satellite TV], is utter bullshit. Perhaps Twitter should start charging Donald Trump since Twitter is his sounding board and podium for everything he has to say.

This is really well put. I have been a Conservative my entire life, but I have never liked Trump, nor do I agree with any of this "Get rid of ________ because Obama did it" bullshit the GOP has been pulling. Absolutely no thought behind anything except whether or not there's money in it, or whether or not Obama put it into place. The GOP has really loved pulling the "Obama era overreach" nonsense while letting shit like this happen to the benefit of large corporations. I sincerely hope that a Federal Court can look at this with some form of neutral perspective. Ajit Pai can go fuck himself.

And I thought 2016 sucked.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You could always be throttled, just not systematically based on the type or origin of your content.

But yea, I hope this entirely backfires and functions as a "woke the sleeping dragon" sort of moment for Apple/Google to enter the ISP space but with great product and customer service.

And yea, reminding me of an example in an earlier post here -- if anyone thought the telecom companies were lobbying for this to not exploit the shit out of it, just remember the tethering/hotspot fee. Could their be a more obvious precedent of what they'll do?