The Social Dilema

• Thread starter tedtan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Honestly, I've forgotten why you're trying to insult me, and stopped caring enough to scroll back up and remind myself. Feel free to take that whatever way you might
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :lol:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
TedEh, I wasn’t even referring to you previously... you seem to take things maybe a wee bit too personally?

Anyhow, for whatever it’s worth?

My world view-

If you have not read The Singularity front to back, and the other way round, and can adequately demonstrate this through flash mob performance art, and also perhaps even more importantly understand the benefits of the medieval lifestyle, not only theoretically, but also through a modicum of practical first hand experience, then “conversing” with you (by that I mean “you” in the general sense, which I would have assumed they taught you (in the direct sense) in “school” « and btw do you even have those up there? » but hasn’t really been demonstrated with any sort of eloquence, then a “conversation” with you is nothing more than shits and giggles, and not really worth a whole lot of time or effort! But let us delight my fellow human. Shall we open our minds?

Let us try shall we? I’ve got a bottle, and an opener...

Why should anyone see things any differently than you, as if you have some authority in Reality? Rather presumptuous. You can lead a dog...the eyes of the beholder (cell phone holder?)...walk a mile in my shoes...you wouldn’t last a minute trust me!

The Language of Romance is not defined in a dictionary, some cross culture couture of name game blame game, this or that, what’s proper or improper, for its been demonized and chastised by this digital age feeding fear hatred and envy!

No my friend (and I truly believe that- we are all friends underneath the layers of lies we have been told to believe to fit within someone else’s predefinitions, just gather round a campfire and tell stories, where all
shall be revealed) Romance is lived and breathed through Art, Love and Music...

There is no barrier to Romance as you’ve suggested. It is in the doing, not the knowing!

Venture forth and find some, you might become addicted! And I would not condemn you for being an addict! I would rejoice in your ecstasy!

Live, love and laugh! Do the world a favor! Do yourself one, more importantly!

Less we sound like that disgusting human specimen tasked with who really knows what, for he himself has no real clue, as witnessed by his constant verbal admonishment of nearly everything and anything that doesn’t stroke his ego- who’s been insulting others family for addiction...and whatever else he makes up!

Or are you or anyone else like him convinced that after all...

“There is no Romance only Finance?!”

Then we may, after all, truly be fucked...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
TedEh, I wasn’t even referring to you previously... you seem to take things maybe a wee bit too personally?
In fairness, the way that you post is very...... unclear sometimes. Both in what you're trying to say, and who you're trying to say it to.

in “school” « and btw do you even have those up there? »
Sure, totally not pointed at me, right? Not trying to insult me right? ......?

Can we get back to the topic at hand?

Social media junk? Use of people's data? How online ads work? People quitting facebook in the hopes of de-stressing and avoiding drama?

How about "influencers"? Have we talked about that yet? 'Cause there's a whole lot to be said about the impact of practically anyone being able to stand on their own little personal internet stage and broadcast messages into the world that people actually listen to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

Anyhow, for whatever it’s worth?

My world view-

If you have not read The Singularity front to back, and the other way round, and can adequately demonstrate this through flash mob performance art, and also perhaps even more importantly understand the benefits of the medieval lifestyle, not only theoretically, but also through a modicum of practical first hand experience, then “conversing” with you (by that I mean “you” in the general sense, which I would have assumed they taught you (in the direct sense) in “school” « and btw do you even have those up there? » but hasn’t really been demonstrated with any sort of eloquence, then a “conversation” with you is nothing more than shits and giggles, and not really worth a whole lot of time or effort! But let us delight my fellow human. Shall we open our minds?

Let us try shall we? I’ve got a bottle, and an opener...

Why should anyone see things any differently than you, as if you have some authority in Reality? Rather presumptuous. You can lead a dog...the eyes of the beholder (cell phone holder?)...walk a mile in my shoes...you wouldn’t last a minute trust me!

The Language of Romance is not defined in a dictionary, some cross culture couture of name game blame game, this or that, what’s proper or improper, for its been demonized and chastised by this digital age feeding fear hatred and envy!

No my friend (and I truly believe that- we are all friends underneath the layers of lies we have been told to believe to fit within someone else’s predefinitions, just gather round a campfire and tell stories, where all
shall be revealed) Romance is lived and breathed through Art, Love and Music...

There is no barrier to Romance as you’ve suggested. It is in the doing, not the knowing!

Venture forth and find some, you might become addicted! And I would not condemn you for being an addict! I would rejoice in your ecstasy!

Live, love and laugh! Do the world a favor! Do yourself one, more importantly!

Less we sound like that disgusting human specimen tasked with who really knows what, for he himself has no real clue, as witnessed by his constant verbal admonishment of nearly everything and anything that doesn’t stroke his ego- who’s been insulting others family for addiction...and whatever else he makes up!

Or are you or anyone else like him convinced that after all...

“There is no Romance only Finance?!”

Then we may, after all, truly be fucked...

In fairness, the way that you post is very...... unclear sometimes. Both in what you're trying to say, and who you're trying to say it to.

:lol:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score

Sure, totally not pointed at me, right? Not trying to insult me right? ......?

Can we get back to the topic at hand?

Social media junk? Use of people's data? How online ads work? People quitting facebook in the hopes of de-stressing and avoiding drama?

How about "influencers"? Have we talked about that yet? 'Cause there's a whole lot to be said about the impact of practically anyone being able to stand on their own little personal internet stage and broadcast messages into the world that people actually listen to.

Sure np! We’re not at the bar, I’ll try to remember that!

How about a “meme” instead of amateur surrealist prose ...???

D3BD52A1-7A1F-49A3-8F2D-71722F4359D5.jpeg

I think you’re right, and to a certain degree people have replaced facts with opinion.

And being “published” makes “influencers” opinions seem to hold more merit than they’re actually worth, if they’re worth anything. I don’t really know I don’t use social media. Unless forums are social media? I guess in a way...

I’ve always tried to formulate opinion before sharing it but it’s not easy!

Overall there’s a strange lack of solid credible information being dispersed. Or it’s hard to find amidst all the nonsense! Think about Covid- I was wondering why didn’t the Feds coordinate with the Post Office to deliver info and supplies? Or local govts send out mailings or TV alerts?

I remember seeing them rounding people up and locking them up in Asia I was like holy shit this ain’t no joke! How could we as a country have failed miserably?

It seems so egregious at this point that it can’t simply be failure, it seems intentional almost. And people only finding info online, having to search for it, and from “news media” (entertainment) channels.

And I was reading that Trump doesn’t even write all his Tweets he’s got helpers?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure at all what most of the last 2 1/2 pages were about, but:

1. Social media is okay, but social media abuse is addictive. I don't think there is much argument left that it's not.
2. Addiction is bad. It means a person cannot stop themselves from consuming something that is hurting them.
3. Addiction is not a *choice*, but it exists due to choices a person makes, and it takes a lot of clear and difficult choices to overcome it.
4. The widespread addiction to social media abuse in much of the world today is a societal problem that needs to be addressed by society, ideally.

I do have my own social media accounts, but I don't believe I am addicted to social media. I spend 100x as much time here as I do on facebook, mainly because facebook is full of toxic people. I have an addictive personality. In my formative years, I learned that I was an alcoholic. I made the choice to let that affect my life in many ways until my friends intervened and supported me in quitting. I do realize that, if I'm not careful, I could end up splattered all over facebook causing my friends and family pain in a different way.

But, that said, I don't think that the problem itself is rooted in social media as much as it is rooted in abusive behaviour and exacerbated by social media. If you took the people who are massive jerks on social media and took them away from social media, I expect that you would find out that a significant portion of them are assholes regardless of their digital or corporeal presence. It's just that they can bully more people in less time with social media. Blaming social media for cyberbullying is like blaming butcher's knives for stabbings.

So, if the government passes legislation to limit or control social media, it's not going to really address the root of the problem.

I've seen too many folks on social media abusing others, who seem to simply be having mental health crises. :shrug:

I hate to bleed this into the gun debate, but it's the same sort of thing. People, especially in the USA, need better access to mental health care. Mental health issues in the USA are not only stigmatized, but also horrifically expensive to address. I don't think that better access to affordable and destigmatized mental health care would solve the problem, either, but, at least, it would directly address the issue at hand. Maybe addressing this issue would have ripple effects on other negative aspects of life in the USA as well...