The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Inceptic

Reaction score
Making the Korean line more expensive while removing stainless steel frets is a total head-scratcher for me... :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Yep, noticed the removal of ss frets and also the boden original is made in Indonesia....

splinter8451

Reaction score
Man that classic is looking very tempting to me. Price point, looks, pickup config. Might have to throw it on the credit card and be irresponsible.

endmysuffering

I'm serious
Reaction score
Kinda sad about this news, owning one of these things is gonna be even harder for me now. All of my favourite manufacturers are upping prices and downing component quality.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? Am I really looking at an estimated 2700€ for the Fusion, which is built by the same people that make 800€ PRS SEs? Don't get me wrong, I am gassing just as much for a Strandberg as the next guy, but that's simply too rich for my blood.
Do I wan't a Fusion? Absolutely! Can I afford a Fusion? Just barely... Will I buy a Fusion? Looking like a big NO at this point - especially seeing as Ola decided to downgrade to nickel silver frets, just to sweeten the price hike... my preference for scalloped fretboards makes refretting a rather nerve racking affair, you see.

Frankly, when you can pick up a Suhr or Vigier for less than what Ola is charging for a guitar built by World Music, something is well out of whack!

Nialzzz

The Perseus Veil
Reaction score
M2M prices will be up there with Blackmachines soon enough if he keeps on hiking up the production stuff.

pott

Reaction score

Boden OS6:
US = USD1,895
EU = EUR1,995 = USD2,126 = 112% of US price

Fusion = USD2,495, * 1.12 = USD2,794 = EUR2,621

So EUR2.7k makes A LOT of assumptions... But it's supported by data :p
Note that, not having ordered an OS series in either US or NA, I don't know if NA has an additional sales tax applied or not. EU version has that built-in.

rapterr15

Reaction score
What was Ola thinking removing SS frets from guitars that cost $2k and up? I was really excited after watching the Gear Gods preview video the other day, but now I'm totally let down. Although I've tried out the endurneck and loved it and want to support Strandberg, it will too hard for me to justify getting one of these when I could get a fanned fret Vader for quite a bit less.

My god, an Indonesian made guitar for $2k? I blame Ibanez for charging outlandish prices on those JEM premiums.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
you guys act as if traditional fret materials are like the worst thing ever. so you may wear frets down 10% faster. and have to shine em up a little more often. big deal.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
^ there's more to it than that. I would never go back to nickel frets again after playing SS frets exclusively for the last year.

In fact, the one thing that stops me from going back to my old trusted tele (except the neck profile which I also despise now after converting to the endurneck) is the nicel frets.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
What was Ola thinking removing SS frets from guitars that cost $2k and up? I was really excited after watching the Gear Gods preview video the other day, but now I'm totally let down. Although I've tried out the endurneck and loved it and want to support Strandberg, it will too hard for me to justify getting one of these when I could get a fanned fret Vader for quite a bit less.

My god, an Indonesian made guitar for $2k? I blame Ibanez for charging outlandish prices on those JEM premiums.

Blame the survey results. I think it's a shame that better tops were prioritised over stainless frets for the korean line.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Blame the survey results. I think it's a shame that better tops were prioritised over stainless frets for the korean line.

I wish they'd taken the middle ground and done a plain maple top w/ a good veneer while still keeping the ss frets. :/

patdavidmusic

Reaction score
has anyone spoken to a rep about the lack of stainless steel seems really odd to make a back step like that,
i know nothing about this Jescar material

pott

Reaction score
Jescar is, I believe, the brand. They're 'normal' nickel frets, and depending on the alloy they may or not be a little stronger than your basic fret.

knet370

Reaction score
i would compromise/settle for a mediocore top over a better top than taking out ss frets. :) who doesnt want buttery bends/vibrato all the time. love my os6 though. great veneer plus ss frets. :)

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
i would compromise/settle for a mediocore top over a better top than taking out ss frets. :) who doesnt want buttery bends/vibrato all the time. love my os6 though. great veneer plus ss frets. :)

IIRC the older OS6s had a real maple top, not a veneer.

And I would settle for a mediocre top than taking our SS frets too. But they can't please everyone. Everyone was complaining about how .... the tops were. Now that they've taken out a playability feature, then everyone feels the pinch.

laxu

Reaction score
you guys act as if traditional fret materials are like the worst thing ever. so you may wear frets down 10% faster. and have to shine em up a little more often. big deal.

But it is a selling point and makes it easier to justify the prices.

I have two Kiesel/Carvin guitars here and they use Jescar frets too. One of my guitars has stainless frets and the other the regular and to be honest I don't noticea any difference between them for things like bending where people say that stainless just feels slicker. In short Jescar frets are real good stuff.

To me the much bigger issue is that they have removed all the interesting finishes. I really liked the blue and purple they had because few others were offering guitars in those shades but now they have just the standard set of Asian guitars: natural, black and red. The only finish I like is the sonic blue but that is only available for the 6 string Classic.

Overall I think the lineup is a mess. Too many different models and specs where even within the range options change depending on the number of strings. Why no HSS 7 and 8 string Classic for example?

The only thing I like is that they offer other body woods than swamp ash.