The V and X Shaped Guitars Thread!

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
This might be a good place to ask this question. For guys that love asymmetrical X/star shapes and dislike the ML, why?

Humans usually tend to go for symmetry, and if an ML is just a balanced X/star shape...what's all the hate about?
The ML's back lower horn makes it sit weirder than a Star. Stars sit perfectly in the classical position. MLs are just clunkier and more unwieldy imo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best X shape will always be the Warrior because of 2 tiny details:
1. The strap knob sits at the pointy end of the upper mini horn which makes it much more balanced and sitting tight when played while standing.
2. The small but effective bevels. Picking hand can comfortably rest on the body.

The handling is not worse than any modern Strat (except for a really huge case of course).
This is mine:
View attachment 142502
That is fucking weird and cool.

Qucifer

Reaction score
Been getting back into the pointy guitars lately...

Picked up a used 7-string JR V with MojoTone pickups in it that's pretty epic. I feel like that metallic red is pretty rare...

Picked up a new Ironbird Extreme, which came with Fishmans in it. Those pickups sounded fine, but they ate batteries like it was their job... so I ripped them out and put in a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. Tuned to C-standard, and it absolutely crushes.

Attachments

• P1016754.jpg
    P1016754.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • P1016757.jpg
    P1016757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
How's the XV500 in real life? I'm keeping an eye on this one, but peeps say it was cheaply made entry level guitar in '80s and nowadays prices are around 1000$ so I'm a bit afraid of purchasing it.

77zark77

Reaction score
@Whoman Bean :
You can imagine, It's not the most practical guitar to play, but quality wise it's on par with the Ibanezes of this era, I've never used the tremolo though
Definitely not low end

Aliascent

Reaction score
My two current Xs, one is a bone stock WRXT Jackson with 10-52s (C#) and the ironbird was originally a single hum body art model that I've modded to hell with EMGs (81-85) and a Kahler (stock 7300) with 10-46s (D#). Currently looking at getting a pointy RS body made for a kahler loaded JH-200 LTD I have (can't really vibe with the super strat shape but I love the neck and kahler).
View attachment 142456
I have the same Ironbird, it's a cool guitar and I'd love to get another one and put a floyd in it.

Yours look great.

mastapimp

Reaction score
This might be a good place to ask this question. For guys that love asymmetrical X/star shapes and dislike the ML, why?

Humans usually tend to go for symmetry, and if an ML is just a balanced X/star shape...what's all the hate about?
I don't have a problem with the shape of the body or headstock, but all the Dean MLs I've played have had the "V" neck profile which is not my thing. Can't get past that.

Reaction score
The ML's back lower horn makes it sit weirder than a Star. Stars sit perfectly in the classical position. MLs are just clunkier and more unwieldy imo.
I was gonna say that it's like playing a V which is great for classical position, but just read a thread in which some love the V for that some hate it. I guess the shape doesn't work for everyone in that way.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I was gonna say that it's like playing a V which is great for classical position, but just read a thread in which some love the V for that some hate it. I guess the shape doesn't work for everyone in that way.
I personally find Vs overall less stable in the classical position than an X shape. The X and star shapes have the benefit of the front lower horn which stabilizes them moreso than say a Rhoads or Arrow.

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
This thread is much invited for me. I tried to attach images but most are too large. I’ve never had that complaint in the bedroom.

Reaction score
I’ve never had that complaint in the bedroom.

Because there would have to BE another person in the bedroom.....
FB_IMG_1662460946406.jpg

But yeah, copy and pasting often times gets the "file too large" message. I find that uploading it directly via the post picture option works just fine.

Latest posts