The V and X Shaped Guitars Thread!

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Recently joined the club. I hope more will come in the future!

20240303-144503.jpg

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
As has been established multiple times on this forum, they are not Vs but Ys

I do love me some Ibanez Iceman energy.
Hell yeah, big fan of "X" shaped guitar here since the day I purchased my weird ass Godin Redline Nemesis pictured below. Got the Jackson WR7 MAH a couple of year after and I'm one click away from ordering a custom Charbonneau Starcrusher 7, just awaiting my tax report, if I don't get hit with payments I even got my girlfriend's blessing (although at this point, she just don't care anymore, I always end up buying the crap I want ahahah)

As far as Godin goes, the Redline was their most ever hard rock/metal oriented models and the Nemesis was the ultimate metal machine in that line up. its a weird take on the whole "X" shape, often compared to EVH's Shark guitar. I reached out to them after I acquired it (at an awesome deal, 500$CAD with the molded hard case) and they told me they only produced it for a single year and although they couldn't give me the number, less than 100 were made. Ripped the EMGs out as I had a set of Seymour Duncan Silverbird set that I wanted to try (pictured below) but I hated them and put a set of Dimarzio D-Ax and X2N.

View attachment 142457
So does that arm grow back like a starfish?

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
B.C. RIch Warlocks are kinda X-shaped, but I also have a '95 Washburn Dime 333.

I would love to get an ESP Arrow or SV-II at some point, but they seem to have dropped the higher end seven stringers in those shapes.

Attachments

• 359.JPG
    359.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • mid 2015 024.JPG
    mid 2015 024.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 17
  • mid 2015 038.JPG
    mid 2015 038.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 17

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I forget what signature model this is but a friend of mine has it and it's a fantastic guitar. It definitely made me want to pick up an arrow myself...
It's the Cthonic guy (Jesse Liu) sig, JL-7 "Katana". And yes, it's a great guitar indeed. The neck is a bit on the thick side but it's still comfortable. The regular Arrow has a thinner neck I believe (FYI)

Romeo Knight

Reaction score
Best X shape will always be the Warrior because of 2 tiny details:
1. The strap knob sits at the pointy end of the upper mini horn which makes it much more balanced and sitting tight when played while standing.
2. The small but effective bevels. Picking hand can comfortably rest on the body.

The handling is not worse than any modern Strat (except for a really huge case of course).
This is mine:
DSC02172.JPG

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
AHHH! A HALBERD! That's one of the only 2 shapes I like from Ibanez and nobody ever talks about them. They kinda just dropped from history but I've always liked them. How is it?

It's fine, solid mid tier instrument overall. Surprisingly light despite the girth of the shape, but extremely comfortable. No nonsense and straight to the point. I toured with it and had no issues at all, despite the abuse I gave it. Though I've swapped the stock pickups years ago, I've swapped the Phat Cat from that photo with a Wilde L500R, so it's got dual L500s right now. I still use it regularly for recordings (used on a some rhytum tracks from my latest album).

If Ibanez gave me an offer for a signature, it'd be based on the Halberd shape. I should've bought another one, or at most one of each of the colours for the line.

Reaction score
This might be a good place to ask this question. For guys that love asymmetrical X/star shapes and dislike the ML, why?

Humans usually tend to go for symmetry, and if an ML is just a balanced X/star shape...what's all the hate about?