Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Big Muff Pi

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently got a hold of some money, and I'm now considering buying a 7-string. :hbang:
I looked up some popular companies, and came across the Agile Interceptor Pro 727.
Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so the shipping would cost me $180, which seems ridiculous for a $700 guitar.
Regardless, I decided to save up and eventually go for the Agile, when today I found a new Ibanez RGA 7 for sale online for $350+shipping(which I hope would be less than $180).
I am now seriously considering buying it and swapping out the pickups for BKP aftermaths or similar hi-gain passives.

One thing that puts me off, however, is the bolt-on neck. From what I have heard, bolt-ons don't sound as good as neck-through guitars, and don't have as much sustain.
All in all, I'm afraid the Ibanez will be too much of a compromise in terms of sound quality, and that if I save up a little more, I would be happier with the Agile in the long run.
Is this true? I'd like to hear some people's experiences with the Ibanez RGA7 or the Agile Interceptor Pro 727. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andyshinn

Reaction score
I´d say go for the RGD, it has better stock pups and the scale is longer.
I personally dislike RGA7, some of them are just made badly (as in really bad fret jobs, finishing etc.) and the stock pups are horrible..

I would not go for Blackouts, try something different.
I find the duncan JB7 to be the best overall factory made pup and i´ve tried almost all of them.

Just placed my order for a RGD7321. My friend placed order for a LTD MH-417 at the same time. I'll be getting some DiMarzio PUP after a short while. Together, we should have have some fun rigs to chug on :D

Zerox8610

Reaction score
Honestly out of those two I'd take the Agile.

But I'd highly recommend you look into the RG 762X and 742X series on Ebay or in the classifieds here. I just OVER paid for my 7421 and it's on it's way here. I paid 440 shipped. There are usually some pretty good deals floating around.

The 762X and 742X were Japanese made and will be a much higher quality than the RGA. I can't compare to the Agile as I have never played one.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the forums!

EDIT 2: Don't be afraid of Ibanez Bolt Ons. Most of today's models have the All Access Neck Joint which in my opinion has better access than a lot of guitars I've played. Certainly better than the joint on my Jackson DKMGT. Fret access is great and sound doesn't really differentiate too drastically. If you're just starting out on guitar or want to stay on the cheap side I'd also recommend the RG7321 or 7320... They're a newer model that isn't MIJ but I've heard almost nothing but good things about them and can be had for very cheap if you look around. An ebay auction I saw a couple days ago had a Buy it now of 200...

Good luck!!

Reaction score
RG 7421 - $200

DiMarzio Liquifire - $100

DiMarzio Crunchlab - $100

Satisfaction of owning a well built, MIJ, Ibanez in jet black?

Priceless.

sell2792

Reaction score
DiMarzios are around $70 a pop new, and if you lurk the classifieds, Ebay, or Craigslist, you're sure to find a deal on an Ibby sooner or later.

Big Muff Pi

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies!
I just found an ad for a 1998 RG 7620/7621 (I'm not too sure which one it is) on Kijiji for 500 ducks. To me, that looks like a sweet ass deal! MIJ at the Fujigen Plant. Is it as good a deal as I think it is?

Reaction score
Not really, 400-500 MAX for a good deal on a telatively used 7620. I'd pay 350 for a 7621 at most.

You can find some 7620's here with dimarzio's already in them for like 500 sometimes

Big Muff Pi

Reaction score
Turns out it's a 7621
I'm not interested in a trem, so the 7621 should suit me fine. Since I live in Canada, and everything seems to be more expensive here, I think if I could lowball the guy for 400, it would be the best deal I could get around here for a MIJ ibanez which went new for $1200+

sell2792

Reaction score
$400 for a good condition 7621 sounds good to me, and leaves you $ for DiMarzios or BKPs.

1000th post!! \m/

Reaction score
Turns out it's a 7621
I'm not interested in a trem, so the 7621 should suit me fine. Since I live in Canada, and everything seems to be more expensive here, I think if I could lowball the guy for 400, it would be the best deal I could get around here for a MIJ ibanez which went new for $1200+

I live in Canada too and bought over CL in vancouver. :p

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I do love my Agiles but I'd get the RGA7 and swap pickups.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently got a hold of some money, and I'm now considering buying a 7-string. :hbang:
I looked up some popular companies, and came across the Agile Interceptor Pro 727.
Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so the shipping would cost me $180, which seems ridiculous for a $700 guitar.
Regardless, I decided to save up and eventually go for the Agile, when today I found a new Ibanez RGA 7 for sale online for $350+shipping(which I hope would be less than $180).
I am now seriously considering buying it and swapping out the pickups for BKP aftermaths or similar hi-gain passives.

One thing that puts me off, however, is the bolt-on neck. From what I have heard, bolt-ons don't sound as good as neck-through guitars, and don't have as much sustain.
All in all, I'm afraid the Ibanez will be too much of a compromise in terms of sound quality, and that if I save up a little more, I would be happier with the Agile in the long run.
Is this true? I'd like to hear some people's experiences with the Ibanez RGA7 or the Agile Interceptor Pro 727. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Not looking to start a discussion or beat a dead horse here, but just chiming in because it seems you are a bit misinformed:

Bolt on necks can and will sustain just as long, if not longer than a neck thru, provided the bolt on joint is good. Neck-thru is marketed as a ''superior'' construction method to get you to buy a guitar, not because it is actually superior. While the tonal differences are subjective and debatable (though in my opinion, highly noticeable) you shouldn't view guitar X as better than guitar Y because guitar X is neck-thru and guitar Y is bolt-on.