Also MIJ
Cheap (usually 250ish)
Cool colors including trans red
HB108 detonators pickups are good enough

CONS
Unbound neck
Bad inlays
Chrome hardware on jackson is usually meh
Upgrading to a Schaller and blacking out the hardware / adding EMGs will push it into wrmg territory (but better trem)

I know both will be good guitars, just not sure which route I want to go. Is there a significant difference that I should be aware of ? I never noticed one from the limited time I got to spend with any of them.

Viralreanimation

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi I’m trying to decide on this Ibanez Apex2 for $350 and a Schecter KM MK-III Standard for $450. Any recommendations? Thoughts or comments?

Sepedis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the community here after coming across so many informative discussions and threads.
I'm looking to get a 7-string headless guitar. I'm a fan of not only the aesthetic, but the relatively simple re-stringing.
I'd describe myself as a casual player who likes to learn and explore playing a variety of metal styles.
I use a Scarlett Solo along with the Neural DSP plugins hooked into Reaper.
Currently the only electric guitar I own is an Ibanez RGD61ALMS that I purchased back in June 2020 and I've been quite pleased with it.
I'd just like to add a 7-string to my collection and repertoire.

My budget is around $1200 and through my research I've narrowed my selection down to three choices (in no particular order):

• Ibanez QX527PB
  • Legator G7FP
  • GOC Vajra 7
A quick note, I do realize the QX is basically unobtainable at the moment, but if it's the clear best out of the three, I'm willing to be patient.

I'm open to other suggestions of course, but from these, I'd appreciate any insight from either those who have experience with these three instruments who can provide a pros/cons based on the specs.
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the community here after coming across so many informative discussions and threads.
I'm looking to get a 7-string headless guitar. I'm a fan of not only the aesthetic, but the relatively simple re-stringing.
I'd describe myself as a casual player who likes to learn and explore playing a variety of metal styles.
I use a Scarlett Solo along with the Neural DSP plugins hooked into Reaper.
Currently the only electric guitar I own is an Ibanez RGD61ALMS that I purchased back in June 2020 and I've been quite pleased with it.
I'd just like to add a 7-string to my collection and repertoire.

My budget is around $1200 and through my research I've narrowed my selection down to three choices (in no particular order):

• Ibanez QX527PB
  • Legator G7FP
  • GOC Vajra 7
A quick note, I do realize the QX is basically unobtainable at the moment, but if it's the clear best out of the three, I'm willing to be patient.

I'm open to other suggestions of course, but from these, I'd appreciate any insight from either those who have experience with these three instruments who can provide a pros/cons based on the specs.
Thanks!
The ibanez by a thousand miles....

Sepedis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The ibanez by a thousand miles....

Thanks for your input! While Ibanez is far and away the bigger and more reputable company of the three, what exactly about the QX stands out above the other two models? I can't post links yet, but it seem the 2022 models for the Legator G7FP and the Vajra 7 have taken feedback and made improvements from their glawing flaws from their 2019/2020 equivalents. I'm curious if those changes are enough to narrow the gap.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! While Ibanez is far and away the bigger and more reputable company of the three, what exactly about the QX stands out above the other two models? I can't post links yet, but it seem the 2022 models for the Legator G7FP and the Vajra 7 have taken feedback and made improvements from their glawing flaws from their 2019/2020 equivalents. I'm curious if those changes are enough to narrow the gap.
GOC are nightmares to get, might not even receive a guitar, and Legators QC is so hit or miss I wouldnt order one online. I'd wait for the ibby.

beepnclick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have feelings about KM-7 MKIII Standard VS Jackson Juggernaut HT7 VS Ibanez RG1127 VS ESP SH-207?

Thanks!

Last edited:

beepnclick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have feelings about KM-7 MKIII Standard VS Jackson Juggernaut HT7 VS Ibanez RG1127 VS ESP SH-207?

Thanks!
My research so far:

KM-7 MKIII Standard:
- I like that it has a 5 piece neck because there's a lot of temperature and humidity variation where I live
- I like that it has an ebony fretboard
- I like the 26.5 inch scale length since I'd like to be able to experiment with tunings
- I wish it came with locking tuners and a non-plastic nut
- I watched several reviews that mentioned that the pickups are only medium good
- I've never owned a Schecter, so I don't know how to map their various product lines onto, say, the quality levels of the different fender lines

Jackson Juggernaut HT7:
- I like that it comes with locking tuners
- I can live with the maple fretboard
- I like the luminlay side dots
- 25.5" scale length is maybe not ideal, but I don't know how big a deal it is
- I wish it had a 3 or more piece neck, but it says it has graphite reinforcement, so maybe that's similar protection against temperature and humidity changes?

Ibanez RG1127:
- It's quite beautiful :)
- I like that it has an 11 piece neck -- wowza
- luminlay side dots are cool
- I hear good things about the DiMarzio Fusion Edge pickups
- I like the Gotoh locking tuners and the weird monorail bridge
- It's about 50% more expensive than the other guitars

ESP SH-207:
- I like that it has a 3 piece neck
- I wish the scale length was a little longer (25.5")
- It's the cheapest option :)

beepnclick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's also the possibility of getting a RG7421 and upgrading the components... so many cool options!

beepnclick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok I think I've eliminated the RG1127 based on price and the ESP based on scale length.

Now I'm leaning towards either the Jackson Pro Series HT7 or an RG(A)742(1) + upgraded bridge.

I've seen a couple of threads about S shaped necks on Ibanez guitars -- is that something I should worry about?

On paper, the RGs have 3 piece maple necks, which (maybe in my imagination) should help with stability in the face of temperature and humidity changes.
The HT7 has a caramelized carbon reinforced single piece maple neck which should do something similar.

Does anyone know which neck type is more resilient to environmental stress? Maybe it's not a huge deal?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trouble choosing between 3 guitars. 2 6 strings as an upgrade to my current Schecter C-1 Platinum. Or adding a 7 string to try and write some ambient metal stuff in Drop A (Think Distant Dream vibes). And I'll keep the c-1 platinum for 6 string stuff. 6 String stuff I mainly just play simple pop punk and hard rock riffs.

6 String contenders:
Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Hardtail Ziricote
Schecter Tempest or C-1 Blackjack

7 String Contenders:
Sterling by Music Man Jason Richardson

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jackson X Series Soloist 8-string multiscale SLAT8XQ MS

or

Schecter C-8 Silver Mountain 8-string multiscale

Anything else in the $1,000 - $1,500 range I should consider? Looking for a set-neck or neck-through, 8-string, multiscale, with a headstock.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Jackson X Series Soloist 8-string multiscale SLAT8XQ MS

or

Schecter C-8 Silver Mountain 8-string multiscale

Anything else in the $1,000 - $1,500 range I should consider? Looking for a set-neck or neck-through, 8-string, multiscale, with a headstock.
Your options with those specs are pretty limited in that price range. You could find a lot more if you were open to at least bolt-on. That being said, of these two the Schecter wins out by a mile. Better specs, parts, pickups. Everything really. The X series Jacksons are just so meh, or terrible QC wise it's hard to recommend them.

Is this your first 8 string or first multiscale?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your options with those specs are pretty limited in that price range. You could find a lot more if you were open to at least bolt-on. That being said, of these two the Schecter wins out by a mile. Better specs, parts, pickups. Everything really. The X series Jacksons are just so meh, or terrible QC wise it's hard to recommend them.

Is this your first 8 string or first multiscale?
First 8-string, first multiscale. I’ve played straight-scale 8’s that weren’t long scales, and I didn’t like them. The low string was too floppy. I’ve played 7-strings with straight scales and multiscales, and I took to them pretty well.

Bolt-on technology would open the field up to the LTD M-1008MS, which features an ugly headstock and cool SD pickups, so maybe that’s worth considering?

Both the Schecter and the LTD are 25.5”-27”, stainless steel frets, ebony board, Hipshot bridge w/ strings through body, locking tuners, passive pickups, coil splits, and a distinctively checked, aged Murphy Lab light relic finish to simulate the look of your favorite closet classic.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
First 8-string, first multiscale. I’ve played straight-scale 8’s that weren’t long scales, and I didn’t like them. The low string was too floppy. I’ve played 7-strings with straight scales and multiscales, and I took to them pretty well.

Bolt-on technology would open the field up to the LTD M-1008MS, which features an ugly headstock and cool SD pickups, so maybe that’s worth considering?

Both the Schecter and the LTD are 25.5”-27”, stainless steel frets, ebony board, Hipshot bridge w/ strings through body, locking tuners, passive pickups, coil splits, and a distinctively checked, aged Murphy Lab light relic finish to simulate the look of your favorite closet classic.
I've heard some iffy things about the LTD multiscales, though I can't remember specifics. Maybe it was the positioning of the parallel fret making the fan really awkward. Food for thought, so definitely do some research.

Here's another contender if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit:

This is a 28"-26.5" fan so the tension definitely won't be floppy unless you plan on massively detuning.

Pitbull is usually pretty willing to discount prices, just ask for more than 10% since that give that away on your first order regardless. If you reach out to them someone will usually call or text you with details they can't advertise.

Nastrun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez RGD2127Z with SS frets and new white paintjob and D-Activators vs stock RG2228? I know it's very much about 1 string more/less, but I wonder if there is a difference in shape, playability and pickup quality. Money-wise, RGD is around $200 cheaper.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Brand new Jackson DK3XR made in Indonesia comes with a cardboard box or a 30 year old Japanese Charvel that's all original in player condition (light wear and oxidation on hardware and swirls in the finish with a couple light dents/scratches and yellowed neck back) with pickups I know I like and comes with a bag.

Both are about the same price.

There is Japanese vs Indo quality.
FR Special vs Takeuchi.
Good Jackson pickups vs whatever the new one has.
I don't think the Charvel has a compound radius or graphite neck reinforcement.

I've played old 90s Japanese Jackson guitars that were killer. But that was back in the 00s when those guitars were in their teens. How do those 90s guitars hold up to the new stuff?