There is NO substitute for a bass player...

• Thread starter Scott Fernandez
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Fernandez

Reaction score
I actually had to order thinner strings for my 30" hellraiser, because the ones that came on it made it sound too much like a bass. I'm certainly not trying to impose on the bass' job by tuning so low. Like many others here have said, a low tuned guitar is not a bass, and most people with sense won't try to use it as one.

Playing a bass line on a guitar (tuned low or not) is akin to making a lite-brite rendition of an oil painting. You can see what they're going for, but it is nothing like the original.

What a wonderful and articulate analogy you used with the "lite-bright rendition of an oil painting". That was spot on my opinion
d-_-b

Athor

Reaction score
This video has little to nothing to do what we're mentioning. On the whole, a "bass solo" is a VERY different situation... I play solo bass but I am a HORRID bass soloist....

Also, what Vic Wooten is describing pertains to more to the purpose or "role" of a bass player in modern music, as pertaining to "groove" and "feel".

I know. Just had to throw it in anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Add Pig Destroyer to the list of bassless (teehee) bands. I think they sound awesome, though admittedly they aren't trying to replace the bass with a guitar or anything, they just... don't have one, and IMO, don't need one.

Scott Fernandez

Reaction score

Whoops, a whole format of music that SUBSTITUTES THE BASS PLAYER!?

I think substitute might be a little much... Maybe a reasonable approximation. The role is accomplished but is lacking the ingenuity of a bass player. There are tons of bass-less acts out there, as we have already discuss, but there remains no real substitute for a bass player... aside from another bass player.
:shred:

angus

Reaction score
What do you mean "the ingenuity of a bass player"?

Anyway Frank Vignola is a great musician.