This band is SICK!

• Thread starter Dei
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
It's called bollocks.

Man, that was shit. There's absolutely nothing musical about it, it's designed to say "Hey, look what I can do!". I don't how anyone could honestly stand listening to that, it's complete crap.

I think what you listen to is fucking tripe but I don't go around saying it :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I liked it, alot of intensity in the music; flowed really well IMO.

explorer666

Reaction score
not really into that type of metal at all..but i appreciate the musicians and what they do,just not really into it,but it's good

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
:ugh: Man, I don't want to jump on the naysaying bandwagon here... nor do I really want to pick on this one band in particular... but what exactly separates these guys from the 90,000 other bands that sound exactly like this?! :rolleyes: It's not a rip on the heavy/intensity/br00talz or whatever, but all these 'take a few DEP spastic parts, add one part hardcore, one part death metal, one part scremo' acts don't bring much to the table, IMHO. :noway:

Take someone like Obituary... now take someone like Death... now take someone like Morbid Angel. Sure, all heavy, death-y bands... They all have this thing called individual style. The aforementioned Dillinger Escape Plan, SikTh, and Meshuggah echo the same thing. No matter how angular they get, they employ these things called songwriting and musical concept. IMHO, bands like the O.P.'s are the ambiguous neo-classical shred-wankers of the heavy rhythm guitar world. "Ohhh... look at my honed math-metal technique. Check out my multipolyeccentric timed stops, slides, harmonics, etc." That's awesome, now go write a fucking song. :squint:

*Variant gingerly sets out his neg. rep. bowl.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
Mah, bring it. Mods could ban me for week for being a D-cheese for all I care, so I can get some shit done here. :lol:

But seriously, I'm not trying to discourage anyone who's into it not to be. :shrug: It's not that there's not anything appreciable there, I too can dig some of the cool unpredictable riffing, just like the fretboard pyrotechnics of the aforementioned shredwankers... but if you're gonna go that route, develop a discernible style. It's Vai vs. Fareri, or SikTh vs. Betty Crocker Intervention or whatever the fuck these guys are called, ya know?

Arsis

Serious ....age
Reaction score
pretty sick man! reminds me of a band called Into the Moat which is pretty good
+1 for ITM

As far as the first posted band goes, I don't know if this has been said, but I think they may have some potential but maybe just are not tight enough yet. I couldn't hear individual notes very well at all.
As far as being technical for the sake of being technical, I agree. Not cool.

I also agree on the PTH being absolutely amazing at mixing the flow/"musicality"?/technicality. If they could nail it live.:noplease:

hypermagic

Fusion Neophyte
Reaction score
I dig this, very spazzy but has enough grooves and breaks to be coherent, unlike iwabo which sounds disjointed and blendery for the sake of randomness. They also look like they have good presence, that bassist is cool as fuck!

To the detractors: People don't randomly come in and shit all over Loomis or Bulb or AAL threads, show some tact and grace. It's not hard to convey dislike without being a jackass.

edit:
(Didn't read Variant's post, that's how you correctly put up a dissenting argument.)

ZachTheRipper

Bass Face
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority when I say I like this band.

But who cares? It's just another band for me to enjoy.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool band, and friends of ours. Very cool guys too :D

This song isn't exactly representative of them overall. I mean, it kind of is, because the spastic, noisy, mathy sound is definitely what they're all about, but they also have some really cool clean jazzy parts in some places, and some cool groovy bits.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Not bad, I'll have to look into these chaps. Most of my fav bands in the genre's most recent efforts have been uninspiring so it's good to hear something new.

i ask this in all seriousness. do people who like this type of stuff understand the vocals at all? no offense of course.

TBH not usually :lol:. I'm not much of a lyrics man when it comes to metal anyways, though it does come easier when you read the lyrics. More about the aggression. It's pissed off music that is about venting anger, so whatever is pissing you off atm can automatically become what the dude from the band is singing.....at least thats what i do :ugh: :)

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I dig it. I purchased the album on i-tunes. Thanks op!

Who is DEP?

Edit: J/K - That's really embarrassing considering I've been listening to them since 2000.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Good tight well practiced players just not really my thing. If I do listen to spazzy shit I leave it to veterans like D.E.P. mainly due to the fact that they juxtapose the spaz and the angst with good songwriting, groove and multidimensional singing. Still not bad by any means though, people shouldn't rag a band because they hate a genre.