Thoughts on GOC Guitars?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Hoping I can get in on the run still. 8 slots left, and 5 days until I get paid.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Afed993

Reaction score
Sorry for being a total noob but what do you guys mean about these runs? Is it like their new guitars with limited runs or all of them? Because I saw a few on reverb that I was considering and now I'm wondering if they even have these guitars made already or not.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Sorry for being a total noob but what do you guys mean about these runs? Is it like their new guitars with limited runs or all of them? Because I saw a few on reverb that I was considering and now I'm wondering if they even have these guitars made already or not.

These are not compelted yet. The run is basically using a set price for a bulk order. They do not have them completed.

Curt

Reaction score
The
The ones up on reverb are already made and not customizable, the limited headless run are not yet built

Descent

Reaction score
They have some interesting headless designs and are priced quite low for the specs. Apparently, the guitars are built in China by American luthiers.

So how did they get the US luthiers in China? They offered them a smaller salary to live in a dirty Industrial city? Sorry, but that statement sounds absolutely fake, but I guess they can claim that as long as they send one guitar to do a week of QC or whatever.

Curt

Reaction score
So how did they get the US luthiers in China? They offered them a smaller salary to live in a dirty Industrial city? Sorry, but that statement sounds absolutely fake, but I guess they can claim that as long as they send one guitar to do a week of QC or whatever.
It's more like the bodies and necks are CNC'd in China, then sent to the US for finish, assembly, and QC. Or so I am assuming since the shipping price on reverb is nowhere near what you would expect shipping from China.

Curt

Reaction score
Im in, 7 string, Antique green, maple board, Alnico Atlas set. Super hype!

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
I don't know this for sure, but I just assumed it was an American that owned / operated the company, in China, with chinese workers & sub-contractors. At least that's how I've always read it. I've followed his instagram for a while, and I'd say I'm 99% positive he works with / has other Chinese companies to build his hardware. I don't think it's a one man show, but I also don't think it's a big shop. It is possible he's doing the design, specing out the guitars, having another company doing build and then doing QC himself, but I have no idea. I've never once seen the claim that they're built in America, quite the opposite.

Curt

Reaction score
I don't know this for sure, but I just assumed it was an American that owned / operated the company, in China, with chinese workers & sub-contractors. At least that's how I've always read it. I've followed his instagram for a while, and I'd say I'm 99% positive he works with / has other Chinese companies to build his hardware. I don't think it's a one man show, but I also don't think it's a big shop. It is possible he's doing the design, specing out the guitars, having another company doing build and then doing QC himself, but I have no idea. I've never once seen the claim that they're built in America, quite the opposite.
When I talked to Michael from Guitarmory about sending a set of pickups for GOC to finish match them with the blue fade Valkyrie, he talked like it would a quick process, which makes me believe that the finish and QC at least is done in the US.

Xibuque

Reaction score

That is what i assumed too, btw they said only have 20 employes and cnc machines, the only thing that take more time is the fretwork due to the QC.

GOC guy is thinking about open more batches for this run, i hope that does not affect the leadtime/QC of the original 50 slots... they said it won't, the guys who jump into the extra slots will have to wait 4weeks more on the leadtime, the leadtime will just increase for the new ones.

Last edited:

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
I have 2 GOC guitars, one is an early prototype and the other is a "custom shop" model. Both have been pretty good and I've very pleased with them. Quality is as good or better than the Ibanez Iron Labels or the Mexican made Charvels. and fwiw, my experience with those are pretty positive.

I've jumped in this run in the first batch and will try to do a write-up on here whenever it comes in. I expect it to be as good especially with those Guitarmory pickups (I got the Minuteman set) and for ~700 it seems pretty reasonably priced.

Crundles

Reaction score
They've posted pics of the completed finishes on their facebook.

The red looks surprisingly awesome, a lot darker than I expected. Green is a bit... swampy. I guess if you went for the Guitarmory Warlord you can make one heck of a sludgemonster guitar.

52828054_1440212452776090_8917881922307227648_n.jpg
52465973_1440212486109420_5121673763754082304_n.jpg
52576413_1440323722764963_641061192193802240_n.jpg
52607798_1440323749431627_4612337367397695488_n.jpg